“A bit overpriced but secludeddness has a price”
Review of SriLanta Resort

SriLanta Resort
Ranked #23 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
New York City, New York
“A bit overpriced but secludeddness has a price”
Reviewed 7 September 2009

We spent a week at the Sri Lanta and the beach there is fantastic (private, with nobody selling stuff or giving cheap 'massages'). When it appeared there had been a problem with our reservation, we were immediately upgraded to THE beach house, a luxury house away from the bar area. There is a spa on the premises. The beach bar is great and staff never bother you. This may sometimes be a problem, particularly when you need them (they seemed to be more active playing or watching soccer than actually working). They were not really trained and that was a big shame, given the quality of the location and accommodation.

There are a lot of small beach restaurants who serve stunning seafood dishes at a very low price. These are in our opinion way better than the restaurant's hotel, which served us rather standard food for more or less 3x the price of other locations. But their breakfast is just perfect, so no worries.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Paris, France
Reviewed 3 March 2009

My girlfriend reserved three nights at the Sri Lanta as my birthday gift,she told me it took her a long time to find the right place, and oh boy she did.

I've read several reviews posted by other people and some of them really surprise me, like someone saying that the staf neither spoke English nor Thai ?! Anyway, here are my thoughts.

My girlfriend specifically reserved the topmost bungalow they have since it is probably the only one with seaview in the complex. Public areas are on one side of the road next to the beach. Bungalows (they only have bungalows, no rooms) are on the hill side of the road. It was a little walk to our bungalow but really worth it. We were greated in a professional and friendly way, hot towel and ice tea, very refreshing after the trip to Lanta. Our backpacks were taken to our room by someone in the staff. The room was fantastic with great views of the vegetation and a small but good enough view of the sea, very calm. The terrace had a bathtub/jacuzzi. Fruits were waiting for us in the room. They had also turned on the air condition and lit some incense so entering the room was a really pleasurable experience. We got a TV with some DVDs. The other bungalows look smaller and have no view, I don't know if there is a price difference, though there should be one, since I got to stay for free since it was a gift.

Public areas are beautiful, very zen, excellent architect. The pool is very nice with its black tiles though I would agree with other reviewers that it heats up the water a little too much. We had sandwiches and sodas at the pool, service was very good.

We had a complimentary massage at sunset. The quality of the massage was ok, not great. I had fantastic massages in Bangkok so I can compare. The massage area is very beautiful and relaxing, you listen to the waves breaking right next to you since is right next to the beach.

There is only one public computer connected to the Internet. I don't know if they have WiFi (I doubt it). I think they should have though given the price of the hotel.

Breakfast was amazing!! Eggs were made to order right in fornt of you. Large choice of everyhting overlooking the beach. We woke up late once and breakfast was over but they managed to improvise something for us which was pretty cool from their part.

We had dinner at their restaurant the night of my birthday, it was excellent. They even came with a candle on my desert and the staff sang me happy birthday! Service was very good and one of the waiters chatted with us for a while teaching us some Thai. I must say though that the owner of the hotel was sitting next to us, I can't say if this influenced the quality of the service we received (it most probably did). There are very good restaurants at walking distance. Try Same Same but Different (need a scooter to get there) it rocks!

Overall the staff was great, lots of smiles everywhere and contrary to what others say here, the majority could communicate very well in English.

I have to say that we were very lucky though. Our stay at the Sri Lanta took place exactly when the Bangkok airport was closed by anti government protesters so the hotel was literally empty. In the three days we stayed we only saw about 8 other guests so it actually felt like the whole place was just for us.

So overall we had a wonderful experience at the Sri Lanta but please take into consideration the fact that there were almost by ourselves and that we had the best bungalow. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Ottawa
Reviewed 4 February 2009

We stayed at Sri Lanta Feb 2008.

I am writing this review quite late, however, the reason why I've decided to write it now, is cause we have booked a second trip to Thailand and we are going back to what we loved, Sri Lanta!! This place deserves some good credit.

It was a nightmare getting here from the airport. It took us 4.5 hours!! We took the van through the country side, picking up and dropping off newpapers etc to various places along our route. If you can, please take the ferry direct to Ban Saladan.

After our horrible journey to Sri Lanta Resort, we got out and thought, wow, we are here and were welcomed with open arms. We were given a hot towel to clean our sweaty faces and and a fresh glass of fruit juice. They were happy to help us to our room and always had smiles on their faces. We were taken a bit back by the slight trek to our cottage bungalow, but, it was well worth it. The staff brought up my backpack for me.

The cottage was lovely. Very clean, and spacious. We did have a bit of an adjustment to the outdoor washroom, but we knew when we booked it and there were really no problems. Just watch out for the creepy crawly's, and in all honesty, we didn't really see any at all!! The frogs hopping along the path way, I am sure were keeping the bugs at bay :-) There was a mini bar and places to put your things. There was a bug net over your bed incase you forgot to close the door. The rooms were serviced everyday and always had fresh towels.

There was yoga every morning if you were so inclined to wake up early. The breakfast was another story! AMAZING! You could have what ever you tummy desired! Pancakes, eggs, bacon, toast, fresh fruit, cereal. It was a good way to start your day!

The pool area was really nice. They had loungers and unbrellas. The same was for the beach. Just don't put any food on the floor, or in your bags, cause the ants will find it and they will come in the dozens.

We didnt really eat at the hotel, other than breakfast, as it was a bit pricy. The beach was full of places to eat and always a new place every night. Recommend Same Same but Different.

There were cats about the hotel and they were very friendly. The children that were there were always cuddling them.

The staff were always very kind. I made an effort to speak a little Thai, and they appreciated you trying.

There was a corner store down the road, where you could buy beer for 35baht.

Overall, the experience was very enjoyable and was very sad to leave. I am very happy to return back there and enjoy 9 days of pure relaxation! Give it a try!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — pricy hotel food and drinks
London
Reviewed 30 April 2008

The place is overpriced, not because of the facilities necessarily, although they do need renovation that has not occured yet. The main reason is the extremely inadequate service, not only relative to the price, but also relative to the fact that this resort is located in Thailand, a country well known for its hospitality and top service in high end resorts. Here's what's wrong with the staff:

1) too many staff doing nothing - I went to ask for a smoothie at the restaurant around 2pm, and saw 4 staff lying on the floor of the restaurant playing cards. Not a pretty sight when you're paying 250 USD a night in Thailand.

2) a reiteration of 1), I went to watch a DVD in their "playroom" at 9pm after dinner to relax only to find about 6 of the staff watching a Thai movie - gulping down soda and shoveling bags of crisps and smoking fags - only after speaking to reception did they "clear out".

3) again along the same lines, staff using areas meant for the guests - for example, playing soccer on the grass in organized teams and even laying on the beach chairs - I was in shock.

4) given the amount of staff and the potentially "low season" time I visited, it took staff over 2 hours to clear my food after eating a club sandwich at the beach - I dosed off, only to awaken finding the remains of my sandwich covered in millions of insects. Nice.

5) staff do not speak English, there was a clear communication problem when I tried to book snorkelling and other activities outside the hotel.

6) The hotel minivan - absolutely unacceptable - charging 200 baht per person (if ur a family of 4 u pay 800 baht) to take you to the port and back, or even take u only 1KM from the hotel. Unacceptable. I moved to LaLaanta Resort on Bamboo Beach after Sri Lanta, and they charged 0 to take me anwyhere I wanted, and they're very far from everything.

I see the Sri Lanta as the typical example of a resort that is a victim of its orginal success. As part of a larger hotel chain, it has made every effort to do well in its first year, then became abandoned from the parent group's priority to linger into a world of inflated prices and extremely poor quality service.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank A_I_1979
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 26 April 2008

My husband and I have just returned from a trip with another couple to Koh Lanta. We spent our first five days being pampered by the owners at Nice N' Easy House a few beaches away from Sri Lanta's location. We booked the last 2 nights of our stay on Koh Lanta at Sri Lanta to see what an extra $100 per night would get us. Sri Lanta is set on a beautiful piece of property and has the potential to be a fabulous retreat. The spa service was excellent and the employees were friendly. However, we were very disappointed with every other aspect our stay. Perhaps we were spoiled by our stay at Nice N' Easy and had unreasonable expectations. The night before our departure, which was scheduled for 9am, we requested to speak with a supervisor before we left to discuss our complaints. We didn’t want anything except to share our experience. The front desk receptionist, who was very friendly, told us she would call the supervisor and request she come in early because she didn’t come in til 9am. We arrived at 8:30 to check out and the supervisor was not there and never came. The front desk receptionist took our complaints and said she’d pass them along. We booked the 3day/2 night package. The resort requires payment in full 15 days before check-in, which we were weary of, but confident we wouldn't be disappointed. However, we definitely would have checked out if we had not already paid. Lesson learned...There were no welcome fruits as stated in the package...not really a huge deal, but something promised and not delivered. There are cats everywhere at Sri Lanta, several with kittens. The internet room, where a cat and her three kittens had taken up residence, reeked of cat urine. The temperature of the room combined with the smell was horrendously nauseating. The sand where the dining tables were set at the restaurant is apparently the litterbox. The urine smell while you eat is nauseating and we had the pleasure to watch a cat urinate and defecate under the table next to us as we ate. We realize we were eating outdoors, but the flies at Sri Lanta were horrible compared to anywhere else on Koh Lanta. One dinner was included in our package. We were led to believe we would be able to choose one of two settings. We were given menus with the two settings on them. Then, food just started arriving. We tried to inquire about the selection, but, although the menus are completely in English, the employees at the restaurant cannot communicate even regarding the items on the menus. They don’t speak ANY English or Thai. We ordered ice cream, which was on the menu. 10 minutes later they came to tell us they were out. Same with banans for shakes, etc. The black tiled pool is a beautiful, wonderful idea, but was almost too hot to swim in…black draws heat..We swam in the ocean. We arranged for yoga and were told the yoga master was no longer there. The chef could teach. We arrived at 8 am for yoga and finally at 8:20 asked where the yoga instructor was and they scrambled around and he showed up about 5 minutes later. Yoga was fine. Since the yoga master is gone they don’t charge for yoga. The chef is clearly not trained in instruction, but obviously has done a lot of yoga, so it served its purpose for us. Beware there will be a 7% VAT and 10% service charge added to everything you purchase at Sri Lanta. It's not included in prices. This was the only place on Koh Lanta we experienced this. Unfortunately, there were unattended children from the resort swimming in the ocean near us and we felt compelled to keep an eye on them, since their parents were up on the grass not in sight sleeping in hammocks. We feel there are much less expensive places to stay on the beautiful island of Koh Lanta with much more value for the money and personalized service. Keep looking!

• Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank schmitty_23
Paris
Reviewed 13 February 2008

Sri Lanta is one of the more upmarket hotels on the island, it is a three star and I was told most hotels are three star on the island with one five star.

The bungalows are all situated at the back of the main entrance and reception area on an incline at the beginning of the jungle, with creatures, insects and all. If you are very squeamish this is not the place for you, but if you are looking for a fun and comfortable Thai bungalow experience this is your best bet. The shower and toilet are outside, although attached to the bungalow. Don't be surprised to find the occasional friendly frog in the toilet bowl, lizard or even a bat in the bathroom because yes you are in the jungle!! However the beds (very very comfortable) are covered by mosquito nets and if you make sure you close the door straight after you enter each time you should stay insect free.

The hotel staff were wonderful and very welcoming, the restaurant was fantastic including the breakfast and reasonably priced. The spa was great. I was a little disappointed with the beach, you can't really swim very far as where the hotel is placed the water is very rocky so you have to be careful where you step. We hired a scooter for six euros a day (300 bt) and toured the island looking for other beaches. The beaches on Koh Lanta are not as nice as Koh Phi Phi but they are mostly quiet and you can find yourself a beach to yourself if you go to the southern part of the island.

In conclusion the hotel is beautifully decorated, calm, relaxing, clean hotel with excellent service.

• Liked — The decoration and the restaurant
1 Thank abigailcb4