“brilliant cooking school”

Time For Lime - Creative Thai Cooking School
Ranked #1 of 6 Food & Drink in Ko Lanta
More attraction details
Owner description: Yes, we are open! A well known professional creative Thai Cooking School. and the first on the Island. With a different approach by combining cooking classes with great atmosphere, music; refreshing cocktails on the Beach Front. The owner is a true foodie, cooking Thai food for 24 years and teaching in Thailand and Europe 9 years. The profits from the business goes to run the non-profit charity Lanta Animal Welfare.
Reviewed 16 August 2014

really enjoyed this cooking lesson and got to make quite a few dishes then eat them so was pretty full after! lady running it was lovely and friendly and funny too so it wasnt boring at all..im not the worlds best cook but mine came out edible! i had to leave some of the spices out as im a wimp with spice!
was good to know the profits were used to help lanta animal welfare.

visited jan 2013 but i wrote in the restaurant review instead of cooking school and i have only just seen response!

foodiefreak, Owner at Time For Lime - Creative Thai Cooking School, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for choosing Time for Lime and your lovely review. As you mention all of our profits go to Lanta Animal Welfare and we were the first cooking school on the island.

I am pleased you learnt a lot and hopefully you have had the chance to use some of the recipes at home, maybe with a little bit more chilli this time.

Kind regards and a big thank you,
From Junie the owner, the rest of the Time For Lime team, and the animals you help to support by visiting us.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I've been visiting Thailand at least 10 times and have become very big fan of the Thai cuisine.

So much, that I've been trying to recreate the Thai dishes at home in Sweden with my family on a regular basis, with my bought cook books and all.

I really enjoyed the class at Time for Lime. The introduction that lasted about 1,5 hour with the owner Junie, was an eye opening. I never knew why it was so important how to cut, slice chop the fresh herbs to create the exact taste and texture for each specific dish. The info how and what you can freeze with great results was also very helpful. Now I understand so much more! Where and what to buy at at home, and also what not buy! I will be so much more confident in my Thai Cooking at home now.

After the theory, we had a much appreciated break as my head was so full of info.

The lemmongrass margarita was like heaven! The bar tender Farsai knows his stuff!

Then over to hard work of curry paste, but it was worth it, we got to compare with the bought curry paste, and no question, make your own curry paste!

The rest of the evening went so fast, learning how to prepare each ingredient, for the specific dish, how to cook, with great and detailed explanations and WHY you do this, which has never been explained in any cook book.

There was some cooking procedures like deep frying the spring rolls that the staff took over, which I understand after Junie explained why, since there had been accidents with some students, no problem. we were showed how to do it, so I can make it back home.

It was a totally hands on experience, with so much information, nice music, good company with other students and great atmosphere.

I've not taken other cooking classes in Thailand, but I must say that I don't understand the the bad review from Kiwi01210 which must have been with me in the same cooking class. That is one of the reasons I'm making this review as I thought is was very unfair.

By the way there was no pressure in ordering drinks, only a question that was a service to us as guests. I really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and I did enjoy a few cocktails and a beer while cooking on my vacation. I'm not a person who talks too much, but honestly - what is the problem with this?

I'll be back again for sure!

Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for choosing Time for Lime and your lovely review. It is fun to combine cooking, meeting new people and of course you cook so much better whilst enjoying one of our famous Lemongrass Margaritas. I will pass on your kind words to Farsai.

The difference between our own curry pastes (we are one of the only, if not the only restaurant on the island that uses are own) and shop/market bought curry pastes is like night and day, I’m glad you appreciated that.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I attend this class couple days ago, we've liked it a lot. This was our first cooking class in Thailand. First of all Junie explained a lot of staff we didn't know, I was amazed by her enthusiasm, after teaching for 20 years, she is still very passionate, I like it and it's contagious when someone is so passionate about what they are doing. We also liked that she explained staff, not only how it is done, but also why - so it will make sense. She reminded me of Alton Brown from Cooking Channel. The result was best ever spring rolls, my husband said he never tasted such great curry. Overall we where very pleased. Keep in mind, this is more like entertainment, them "real" cooking class, also some really dangerous staff was handled by staff :) Like, cutting hot peppers (to Kiwi in previous post: really?! You were looking forward to it? Did you tried it before? My husband just touched a pepper and was very sorry later, when had to go to the bathroom.), deep frying, lightning fire, cleaning dishes. And I was glad they did it! Everything else we did: cutting, cooking and eating ;)
Happy cooking with lime!

Dear Svetlana,

Thanks so much for choosing Time for Lime and your lovely review. I am pleased you learnt a lot and hopefully you have had the chance to use some of the recipes at home.
Glad you enjoyed it!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I've done several cooking classes in Thailand and this is the only time I've been disappointed. The class is almost six hours long but teaches very little. The small periods of instruction or cooking are separated by many breaks during which your constantly encouraged to buy drinks. When actually cooking participants do the bare minimum, while everything else is handled by the staff. To be clear, you'll only be chopping vegetables and garlic. The staff prepare the all the meat and also cook everything but the prawns and squid (which you get the privilege of throwing into the pan with stirfry vegetables).

If you've never cooked before you might get something out of this.

1  Thank Kiwi01210
foodiefreak, Owner at Time For Lime - Creative Thai Cooking School, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Kiwi0210
We are so sorry that you were disappointed.

We would be very happy to have a chance to change your opinion, so if your staying on the Island a few more days we would love to give you two a free cooking class with a different menu. Please take contact with us directly.

I must admit I'm a bit surprised by your review, it’s misleading so I would like to clarify for other future students.
We've had many guests both hobby and professional chefs that have done other cooking classes in Thailand and other countries, which have informed the very opposite of your opinion, which we are very proud of.

Yes, we did have an extra break; the sunset was so nice that day so I asked everyone IF they wanted to take a break for this, all I heard was yes.
We will take your review in consideration and not let students break for sunsets in the future, even if they want too.

Otherwise, we have a break for 10-15 min. after the 1- 1,5 hour theory and tasting introduction, as most people feel they need it after so much information. Another break is to sit down and eat the first two dishes that are prepared. Then again to sit down and eat the last two dishes. We ask if anyone would like to order something from the bar besides free drinking water that's on the table when they sit down to eat twice, and in this case we also asked if anyone wanted to order something before Happy hours was finished at sunset.

Concerning the amount of cooking / preparing this day:
Any dishes that require deep-frying, we prefer the staff to do for safety reasons, as there have been some bad accidents when students have done this themselves.
The staff also pan-fries, fish/chicken/potato fillet on the days we have that.
Other wise the curry paste, spring-roll filling, stir-fried sea food with roasted chili paste, stir-fried veggies, and making red curry sauce is done by students themselves.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I took this class back in May and neither of us had ever done one before so we really didn't know what to expect especially when we saw the class went for six hours! We absolutely loved it; our instructor Mai was awesome, very friendly and funny. The course itself was very educational and relaxed, you got to have a drink or two as you went (I highly recommend the mojitos) and of course eat the wonderful food you prepare! Location was beautiful, can't fault the experience top notch, thanks to everyone involved. One more thing the experience,if possible,was made even better knowing that the proceeds went to animal welfare shelter.

foodiefreak, Owner at Time For Lime - Creative Thai Cooking School, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Steve,
Thank you for choosing Time for Lime! It is fun to combine cooking, meeting new people and of course you cook so much better whilst enjoying one of our famous Mojitos! Thanks for the kind words about Mai, I will pass on it on.
Glad you enjoyed it!

Kind regards and a big thank you,

• Cooking School Will be closed for renovation from June 1st. until August 1st. 2014.