“We Loved Bamboo Bay!”

Ranked #49 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
salisbury
“We Loved Bamboo Bay!”
Reviewed 13 January 2009

We stayed at Bamboo Bay 30th December until 8th Jan, and really didn't want to leave. We stayed in an aircon bungalow, with a lovely patio, ok the accommodation is basic, but it was clean. If you are looking for luxury western style accommodation this isn't your place, if you're bothered by the odd gecko in your bathroom it isn't either. If you're bothered by these things though what are you doing in Thailand! Also the acommodation is in the cliffs so there are a lot of steps.
But if you're looking for a stunning setting, great staff, great food, then it certainly is. I've never stayed anywhere where the staff are as friendly and helpful.
The road is mostly paved now so isn't has hellish as it used to be apparenlty. There are 2 other resorts on the Beach but one of them is £100 a night. I don't know what the accommodation at Ban Phu Lae next door is like but its a terrific place to go for a drink. Likewise the bay "next door" is great to walk to for sunset beers.
I wouldn't say this is a honeymoon getaway but it is a great place to stay- we are already planning on going back next Christmas.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jenwarsalisbury

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
breda
Reviewed 14 December 2008

My boyfriend and I visited Koh Lanta for 2 weeks in November 2008. We stayed in 3 places on Koh Lanta: Relax Bay, Red Snapper and Bamboo bay and we stayed in Cozy place in Krabi.
We were not on the ultimate low budget trip, but we weren't spending Baths like crazy either :)

I've reviewed these four in the same style, so it'd be easy to compare them.

Bamboo Bay
Bungalows
The road to Bamboo bay is horrible: the first could of times we thought it was an adventure, but we really came to hate it, but it does contribute to the 'end of the world' feeling.

We had a tiled bungalow, with pretty large bathroom. We choose the bungalow with airco, we didn't need it but we didn't wanted to sit across the road.
We were lucky the neighbors didn't snore: the bungalow walls are very thin.

Cleaniness
On entering I though: ow ok. But the more I looked around, the more I saw: dust, animals, fungus. It just isn't clean.
They use an air freshner which is really kind of them, but it gave me a huge head ache: it smelled very toxic :D

Bed
The narrowest bed we slept in during our stay on Koh Lanta. The mattress seemed to have some sort of plastic cover over it – which I didn't like.
We did like the mosquito net

Bathroom
Not good – fungus (I made the mistake to accidently look behind the mirror!), hairs and dust everywhere.
I'm not picky, but this was just not pleasant. It looked like the person cleaning it, just doesn't really know how to clean (other than that he's a nice guy!)

patio
Two nice relaxing chairs! Very cool!

Added feature
toad, toads and toads... the window in the bathroom can't be closed and toads entered through it at the same rate we got rid of them :D (about 3 a night )

Staff
Very very pleasant friendly and helpful.

One note: we tried to get some information about routes and transportation they didn't offer and they avoided the answer and brought it back to what they do offer. So if you really have your mind set on something you need to get I somewhere else :)

Breakfast/lunch/dinner
Nice variety of European, american and thai choices.
Good quality too.

Other facilities
The lady who does the massages here is great!
Bamboo bay being so remote has made sure that they can offer anything you need: trips, tickets, excursions, they even mailed my postcards.

Overall
Bamboo bay is too expensive for just their bungalows only: it just isn't worth it.
But if you include the food, the staff, the options they offer I'd say that the price is good.
Bamboo bay is in the Lonely planet and there are two other resorts next to it, which arent, I'd advice you to check those out before you make a reservation with Bamboo bay.

• Liked — the view, the food, the staff
  • Disliked — it was pretty dirty
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank wendydesign