“Thai Beach House Resort - right by the 7/11 Prae Ae”

Thai House Beach Resort - Koh Lanta
Reviewed 25 November 2012

spent two weeks in the Thai beach houses, (like a hut on stilts) with a sea / beach view. Very clean ,Fan and Air Con. reasonably priced - Some lovely helpful staff , who will arange transfers , days out and advice on where to go what to see. There is a restaurant on the beach, not sure if it does breakfasts, but some nice lunches had there. Will definatlky be booking this resort again

Room Tip: There was a choice of bamboo fan rooms, the Wooden Houses we had and also purpose brick built air co...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 August 2012

I visited Thai House in May 2012 and I have to say, it was one of the friendliest places I have ever stayed at. Our room was just a stone's throw from the beach, and I woke each morning to hear the sound of the sea lapping on the beach - bliss. I stayed at one of the houses that directly overlooked the water. The room was clean and spacious with nice touches of decoration inside. The free wi-fi was fast. The bathroom had hot water and a good shower. We had a huge wardrobe, with a desk and chair, as well as TV. We also had a balcony with chairs to sit and relax outside. There was a restaurant on the premises, although meals were not included. The restaurant was excellent, sitting with a cocktail watching the sun go down was a highlight of our relaxed trip. There were plenty of restaurants close by, as well as a shop selling drinks and snacks just around the corner. The staff were so friendly, Kim the owner was always on hand to check we were OK and Saibur and Nen (hope I've spelled that right) were lovely. I have visited Koh Lanta before but this was my first visit to Thai House - it won't be my last.

Room Tip: Although there are cheaper rooms away from the beach, nothing beats the sounds of the sea when you w...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I booked a few days at the Thai House on the recommendation of our dive shop. We stayed for several nights, then moved on to another hotel, where I felt I got a significantly better deal

On the plus side, Thai House is surrounded by a pleasant garden and is as close to the beach as any of the places along Long Beach. The staff were always helpful and polite and there were several places to eat nearby

So why the Average score? I have stayed on Lanta a couple of times now, and booked other hotels in Thailand, and I just did not feel the quality of the rooms at Thai House was quite up to the price we paid. The outside of the huts (we had a 'Thai House' room) was pleasant enough, but the comfort level, decor and furniture inside were what I would expect from a room in a lower price range.

I expect some knocks and scratches, but the two rooms we tried were just a touch too worn and lacking in storage space to really meet my expectations. There were the usual collection of dodgy wiring installations, leaky air conditioning (the staff moved us to a non-leaky room with no complaint though), torn curtains etc. that you often find in cheaper beach places. If the price had been say 30% lower, I might have accepted this, but I really feel the price justified something better by local standards.

Apart from the price, my other niggle was with the restaurant next door (actually bordering on the grounds of the hotel, and only a few meters from the rooms). It was fine for a drink or a reasonable meal, but we were kept awake a couple of nights by the sound system and karaoke singers - not really what you want when you have to get up early for a dive

You should also note that the restaurant is not associated with Thai House, so whilst you can buy breakfast there, none is included in the room price. The hotel has free wireless internet, although you will need to be in or near reception to be able to log on.

To summarise, if you are not worried about a bit of noise in the evening, and you can get a good deal, then consider Thai House as an option - the staff and location were pleasant - but be sure to check out other places at the same price to see if you think it is worth it

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first - there were significant differences in quality between adjacent huts.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Got a room 20 meters from the beach (long beach), which was empty because it was the low season, and the room was only 600 per night for 2 beds w/AC. The place was kept a lot nicer than the cost would suggest. The room was very comfortable and the AC worked well. The front desk woman was also very helpful. My friend did have a little bit of dirt on his sheets when we got there, though, but not enough to soil our opinion of the place. We ate at Jumrat restaurant just outside the resort (go out to the road, make a left, it's about 20 meters down on the right) almost every day, because it was delicious and cheap.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eric L
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Our Thai house was a bit on the rickerty side, but very cute and provided a lovely spot to sit and read as you looked out to the beach. The beach bar had some of the nicest Thai food I had tasted on my trip and all extremely reasonably priced. Kim had been in touch before we left the UK and provided us with the travel information we needed for our transfer. She also let us know her availbility and who we could contact whilst she was on her own trip, very considerate I thought.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Great rooms, great location...a few steps and you're on the beach. The rooms are large and cleaned every day. I stayed in room with seaview and next to the reception. The restaurant Will even bring you your food to your room you order it. The owner Kim and her staff are always friendly and willing to give you advise or help. The massage on the beach is marvelous and they seem to be the best and cheapest of Lanta. There are many things to do in the hotel surroundings but the whole island can be your playgound with a scooter. Try a visit to Flipflop diving school a few minutes to your right when you leave the resort. They rock all of them and I even had my first try out dives which I never thought I would do. I stayed on Lanta as a single female traveller. My stay on Lanta was the best and I will be back for sure. Thanks Kim! Best regards Pascal

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Pascal E
Reviewed 19 March 2012

When looking for a place to stay on Lanta, I had 3 needs.
1. ON the beach
2. Air conditioning
3. Great scuba instructors nearby
Thai House filled all of these requirements and more! Kim and her staff were always available for us, even when our key was mysteriously swollowed by the ocean. They also booked a 4 island snorkling tour for me and the shuttle back to the Krabi airport. My husband and I were certified with Dive & Relax which is one minute away down the beach. Only complaint is the water pressure is not very good. There is a 7-11 at the end of the road, and May's Kitchen a 6 minute walk away. Don't miss that!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple