“Wonderful Papillon!”

Ranked #10 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
London
“Wonderful Papillon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed for eight nights in January in a big aircon bungalow, nicely spaced out in the gardens, giving privacy and peace. There's a DVD/TV and kettle and fridge in the room, and DVD library to browse. The beach is a short walk away, is never crowded and has a beautiful sunset. The pool was blissful, and the food always excellent. The breakfasts in particular were great, and the coffee refills really set us up for the day. Papillon is well maintained and thoughtfully managed. However, perhaps the biggest joy were the staff, who were always warm, friendly, and helpful. There's something special here with the staff - and I'm guessing its the relationship and care the owners have nurtured. Certainly Papillon seems very busy, so I'd recommend advance booking. I really do hope we get to return.

Room Tip: Big air con bungalows are at the quieter end and are well spaced out.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Caroline G, Owner at Papillon Bungalows, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you for your very kind words about our paradise. We are so glad to hear that our guests enjoy their stay and especially when you notice our lovely staff. There is something special with them and we really appriciate all of them. It´s the Papillon Team and our relaxed lovely guests that create the atmosphere!

Hope to see you again!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Just returned from our second stay at Papillon in two years and had a great time! - Relaxed with only a handful of bungalows makes for a peaceful stay Papillon which attracts mostly couples and families with young children. There is also a hearty breakfast every morning!

The rooms although basic are adequate, detached with aircon, fridge, TV, DVD and shower/toilet en suite. My only small gripe is our bungalow (No. 1) had a very firm bed, which is common in Thailand however this was still hard even with a mattress cover added on request. The bed remained hard over the whole holiday with a few poor nights sleep as a result. My other issue was with no mosquito net over the window - there was a large net which covered the bed however if like me you prefer not to sleep with the air con blasting a natural breeze is a nice choice to have. This would be a very cheep addition to allow guests to open the windows during the night.

This aside we had a great stay - the staff are lovely and genuine (unlike our experience in some of the resorty type places!). The area is well located although to full enjoy the island you need to rent a scooter which gives you the freedom to eat anywhere and enjoy different beaches and trips to the National Park and Old Lanta.

The owners are opening a second resort in Relax Bay this Autumn so we'll be back! (please find softer beds though!!)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review, it was lovely to have you back with us again. Good idea with the mosquitonet for the window, never crossed my mind before but will look into that now. About the bed, I know! Ít´s so hard to find good comfortable beds in Thailand and when you find, they are soo expensive. Our budget on Papillon don´t allow that without raising our roomrates but we will definitely invest in good high quality beds on our new place that we open next season. Papillon´s sisterhotel Lazy Days Bungalow will be located on Relax Beach.

Hope to see you soon again!

Greets Caroline and Jens
Isle of Man
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

I stayed at Papillon for 4 nights in November 2013 and really enjoyed my stay.

The staff were all helpful and friendly, especially Sunny who goes out of her way to look out for you. The weather was unusually rainy when I stayed there so they went out and bought umbrellas and left one at each bungalow which was a nice touch. The free water refills is a really handy extra.

I hired a virtually brand new scooter from reception at a great rate, and they were really flexible about not having to pay for a full extra day when I only needed it for part of one.

The bungalows are basic but perfectly fine. The mosquito net was good and the aircon was also a godsend. The bed is a little hard, but that's the same wherever you go in Thailand so can't complain about that. The little patio and hammock are great touches as well, and sheltering there on the rainy days was a pleasure.

The location is good unless you want to be right in the middle of everything. There are a few bars and restaurants nearby which are walking distance, and a tuk-tuk in to Saladaan takes little more than 5 minutes and as long as you're prepared to haggle with the driver it is ridiculously cheap. The beach is 3 or 4 minutes walk down a quiet little road and is really nice.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay despite the weather and hope to return some day. For the price you pay it's excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It warms our hearts to hear about the care from our staff.

Welcome back anytime!

Warn regards
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed four nights with friends and although it was very simple it was clean and friendly. By a beautiful beach with awesome sunsets. Breakfasts were very good and staff was helpful. Peaceful. Lyms rice bowl restaurant next door is amazing. We spent our days there on her shaded sun beds and couldn't help but eat our dinners there nightly. An excellent combination.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for this nice review, glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We agree that the beach here are very nice and not crowded at all.....and Lyms Ricebowl are a nice restaurant, we are glad to have them so close!

Hope to see you again on Papillon!

Greetings Caroline and Jens
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Papillon while at Koh Lanta. The rooms were big, clean, and had all the basic amenities. The beds were a little hard, but that's most of the places we stayed in Asia. It was a short walk to a fairly secluded part of the beach. We were really happy with our service here. The woman at the front desk helped us get a scooter and then helped teach my fiance how to use it (which I think goes above her duty! :-) Also, they were very good about cleaning our room when we requested. One of the touches I really appreciated was, even though we were leaving too early to be served breakfast, one of the front desk women had our breakfast prepared and waiting for us the night before we left, without being asked! It was rare to get such thoughtful service while we were in Asia and this was one of the reasons Papillon stood out!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Ohh so nice to hear that our staff are so appriciated! Thank you for telling us this and hope to see you again on Papillon!

Caroline
Amsterdam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

My experience dealing with the owner before my 5 night stay in December was favourable. She was very helpful and answered my emails immediately.

When I arrived, unfortunately the owner was away. I found it strange that I was grilled over my reservation. It wasn't until I mentioned the owner's name was I believed to actually have booked.

My issue with this place is that it doesn't really know if it is aiming at the backpack market or for the more sophisticated tourist. Not supplying beach towels, shower gel, shampoo, safe, irregular replacement of towels & sheets would suggest the former but having a pool, including breakfast, daily cleaning (apart from Wednesdays) and the price would suggest the latter.

I don't buy the explanation that buying beach towels is too expensive as guests are just going to use the white ones supplied. In the long run, they would need to be replaced more often than if proper beach towels were provided. I certainly don't travel carrying shower gel, shampoo and the like so it was annoying to have to go and buy them.

The bungalows are basic. I used the mosquito net as I am susceptible to being eaten my them. When I untied it, it absolutely stank of stale sweat and had holes in it. I couldn't sleep as the air conditioning units make such a noise. There was also residual noise from some nearby bar and in the night of the full moon, loud techno music was playing on the beach until 06.30 (not the fault of Papillon but I had enquired about this prior to my stay)

Unfortunately the food in the restaurant was very disappointing and like many other places, real Thai cuisine had been butchered for the white European market. Pad Thai is not fried noodles with bits of carrot, cauliflower & broccoli. There was no sign of chilli, fish sauce, lime, soy/oyster sauce or egg whatsoever. I complained but got a puzzled look and no apology. The breakfast was very limited with no Thai or even Asian choices.

I was quite ill one day and this was either from drinking the water from the fill up container or from Lym's Rice Bowl restaurant next door.

The pluses are the pool area (even if it can get overrun by kids), the grounds and being able to hire a scooter easily. ( A must do, it is not dangerous at all)

I hope my criticism is taken constructively because Papillon does have the potential to be wonderful with just a few tweaks.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dutch_Bird_Amsterdam
Caroline G, Owner at Papillon Bungalows, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you so much for your review and feedback. We appreciate that you took your time.

Sorry to hear that you had problems checking in, I´m not sure what went wrong, maybe the booking was made in another name and then it can be a bit confusing.

We are a 2 star budget resort, we don't provide shampoo/ showergel and beach towels since it would cost a lot to change and send the towels to the laundry company every day. If we would do that, we would need to higher our rates which I think many of our customers would not appreciate.
Even if we are a budget resort, we aim to keep the best service and facilities as possible within our budget....maybe this made you confused over who our target audience is.

I´m surprised to hear that the mosquito net was broken, they are brand new but if you had told our staff, they would have changed it for you.

Sorry to hear that you were ill, my guess is that It was the money that made you sick since that often is the case. We have never experienced that anyone got ill from the water tanks.

Our kitchen is very appreciated, we have never got any complaints before but off course it is difficult to cater for all tastes. It is true that we don't offer any Thai or Asian breakfasts because they are a very small group among our guests. We offer 4 choices of generous breakfast packages, which we actually are very proud of.

We will definitely consider buying safes for all bungalows next season.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

I checked in here for 5 nights.

All staff very friendly and helpful, especially Sunny. She has great English and is knowledgeable on the local area.

I hired a big air con bungalow which was clean, spacious and met our expectations.

The resort itself is well maintained and a short walk from the beach.

The food here is amazing, had breakfast included in the deal. I had many lunches and evening meals here too and can not fault the quality.

The location of the resort is pretty central, couple a minutes taxi ride will take you to bars and restaurants.

I would recommend staying at this resort as it is reasonable priced and good value.

One slight negative, there is no safe in the room but the resort is so quiet and felt safe.

Thanks to all the staff as they made us feel at home.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind words, we really appreciate it! Nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will definitely consider safes on the room.

Welcome back to Papillon any time!

Caroline o Jens