All reviewslong beachthe main roadtv with dvd playerfamily bungalowstayed for nightssmall poolminute walkthai foodenjoyed our stayclean bungalowswestern dishesrelaxing placerestaurants and barsstayed longerrelax bayfridgescooter
Reviewed 5 January 2018

Just returned from staying with Tony and his amazing team at Papillon Bungalows. If you are looking for a laid back place to stay with friendly and caring staff then look no further. Collectively they have created an environment that you cannot help to unwind and relax in.

The prearranged taxi picked us up from Krabi and took us to papillon. We were greeted by Tony and his team, including Becky their dog. The accomadation was just what we wanted, a nice private bungalow set amongst trees. The room had a comfy bed, fridge,TV ( although we did not even turn it on ), enough storage and safety deposit box. There is a shower room as well with a lovely cool shower. Outside was an area to relax with a table and chairs and hammock.

There is a great communal area for guests to eat in or just kick back and enjoy a drink. There is always someone on hand to help if you need, be that with some food or just to make a call for you. Next to this is the pool area. Great space. The pool is just the right size to cool off from the heat and the seating around allows you to be able enjoy the sun or the shade.

Tony, the owner, is a great guy. I spent many hours enjoying his company, putting the world to rights and just hanging out. He always seems to make time to chat and engage with his guests. Kimmi looked after the grounds,Ing and her kitchen staff looked after the food and they were all so nice. We were also very fortunate to meet some lovely people who were staying there which made the stay even better.

We ended up eating here more often than not. The food is amazing. The pad Thai papillon is delicious, Also there is a nice touch that you can have no spice, western spice or Thai spice depending on your taste buds. Bit of advice though, eat spicy it helps keep the mosquitos away.

We were very sad to leave Papillon Bungalows but we will return as soon as we can. Great place, lovely quiet stretch of beach near by, an amazing atmosphere created by fantastic people.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Tony P, Owner at Papillon Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2018

Thank you very much for a great review, and that you have taken your time to write it! :-)

It was a pure pleasure having you and your lovely family here, and it's really appreciated that you've liked our place, our amazing Staff, Becky, our food, me and just about everything here at Papillon that much. Like I've told you when you've stayed here I never seems to get used to saying goodbye to our amazing guests that have stayed here and the goodbyes is always hard, especially with the guests I have the privilege to get to know a little bit better than others for some reason. Lovely reviews like yours makes all the hard work worth it, and how you've described it is the way we would like all of our guests experience and feel during their stay with us.

With our fantastic guests it's never too hard to make that little extra effort to make them feel "home" and well taken care of, and with our quite small resort we do sense a more familiar atmosphere than in perhaps many of the other larger places. Also we do try to keep the surroundings more relaxed so that our guests really can unwind and enjoy the atmosphere. The distance (about 200 meters) to the beach never seems to be experienced as a difficulty by our guests, but quite the opposite it's mostly experienced as a nice and peaceful walk down to one of the greatest beaches in the world, Longbeach.

You should all know that we miss you and are very much looking forward to your return, and I would on my and the Staff's behalf express our gratitude for you staying here, and also for making it easy to get to know you, as the great family that you are. :-)

Tony with the rest of the Papillon Team

Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

Stayed for three nights, was hete two years ago and although Ko Lanta has changed, the food, the friendly staff and welcoming atmosphere is still the same at Papillon. Nice and clean bungalows, short walk to a beautiful beach, peaceful and, as mentioned, one of the best places to eat in all of Thailand (been around over the years). Thank you so much, Tony & co! Will be back:)

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Missmorell
Tony P, Owner at Papillon Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2017

Thank you so much for a great review, and that you have taken your time write it! :-)

It was a pleasure having you back at Papillon, and that you've liked our place and food that much. We do try to keep the same atmosphere and feeling as we have started with, since it's been very appreciated by our previous guests, and that of course means a lot to us. We are really proud of our staff who's all the time seems to surpass themselves, and knowing the importance of taking care of our beloved guests. After us (me and one of my partners) been working with pretty much the same staff for 3 1/2 season now it feels like we are becoming a better and stronger team for every day, and we can really see that they do like working with us which of course reflects on their daily work.

Also as you've wrote Longbeach is a beautiful, and I would like to add relaxed beach, and probably one of the best beaches in Thailand. It's never too busy, and it's perfect for lovely sunsets, swimming, nice walks, bar and restaurant-visits, fascinating fireshows and much more.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you back at Koh Lanta and Papillon in the future! :-)

Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

Very well mantained and nicely decorated high quality bungalows. Extremely friendly, welcoming staff helping you wherever possible. There is a lovely pool area as well but the beach is only 100+ meters away... I stayed for 4 nights and usually always go for the small thai restaurants outside of my guest house/bungalow resort - not so here. The food is just spectacular and extremely tasty (& spicy if you want :-)), also introducing a few not so commonly offered thai dishes - definitely worth eating here.
And of course the swedish manager Tony is a super nice guy, interesting and fun to talk to. All in all, Papillon is a fantastic place to stay - I loved it!

Stayed: November 2017
Tony P, Owner at Papillon Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2017

Thank you so much for a great review, and that you have taken your time to write it! :-)

It's just lovely to read your review, and we are truly pleased that you have liked our place and food that much. It's also great knowing that our conversations was highly appreciated from both sides, and I will never forget how you after been staying here your first three nights switched and continued the conversations in perfect Swedish. Like I told you earlier, I would never have guessed that you came from another country if I didn't already knew it.

I was a bit disappointed when I realised that you've already checked out when I came to Papillon the day of your departure, especially after our interesting conversations and the fact that I wanted to say good bye before you were leaving us. Hopefully we'll meet again in the future so we can continue our conversations, and if you didn't already know it you are a super nice guy too. ;-)

Thank you once again, and we wish you all the best!

Reviewed 3 November 2017

This was a great place to stay. We liked it so much we stayed longer than we had planned. I can highly recommend it.

The rooms and grounds are very clean, spacious and well-maintained. The pool - while small - is sparkling clean. The rooms are very quiet.

Wifi is pretty strong and reliable - important to those of us addicted to our devices and computers.

It's a short, pretty walk down to the beach where you can watch the sunset. There are several restaurants and bars once you get to the beach, in both directions. In fact, with Long Beach being a 'long beach' you can walk all the way up or all the way down to the various eateries that run along the water.

Staff are very friendly and helpful (as is the owner - I talked his ear off).

Restaurant is great. I wasn't able to try the breakfast, but lunch and dinner were tasty. Service is fast. They have a 'snacks' menu for quick, little bites. The restaurant is cozy and a relaxing place to sit. They also have palapas with mats if you prefer. Their popcorn is heavenly and made from scratch.

The rooms are a nice size and have little touches that make a difference:

Fridge
Shelves for clothes/supplies
Hangers
Drying rack
Outdoor patio chairs

There is a resort dog named Becky. Becky is a boy, so don't let the name fool you. He was adopted from Lanta Animal Welfare and is very sweet. He walks with you to the beach - if you want - and often sits guard at the front of the reception.

They have a cold water dispenser by the restaurant so you can refill the water bottles they give you. A cold water dispenser is rare on Koh Lanta. You can also refill the "Trash Hero" reusable bottles that you should get for your stay (available many places). They stay nice and cold in the fridge.

Papillon offers laundry service as well. It's about 10 baht more per kilo than going directly to a laundry facility, but you don't have to struggle with drop off or pick up, so it's worth the little bit extra. If you've ever tried to balance laundry bags on a scooter you know what I mean.

Overall great stay. If you're looking for a 5-star full-service resort, then this might not be for you. But it is one of the cleanest, friendliest, well-priced, quiet and comfortable bungalow stays I have had. I almost don't want to give it such a good review so I can keep it a secret for myself...

Room Tip: The double family bungalow is great for a family (two rooms and two bathrooms, adjoining with a door).
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank HelenMRyan
Tony P, Owner at Papillon Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2017

Thank you very much for this fantastic review, and that you have taken your time to write it! :-)

This is a "top-score review" in every way, and I can't enough express how much we appreciate that, and your stay with us here at Papillon. Your description of our place is just great, and exactly how we want our guests to feel while they are staying with us, so it's a spot-on description if you'll ask me.

I'm a very social guy myself so you did absolutely not talked my ears off, on the contrary I think we had good and valuable conversations. ;-)

Thanks for lifting all of the positive things about us and our place, and we are really hoping to see you in the nearest future again. I think people in general will get a good picture of how our place is, thanks to your great review.

Also, say hello to your children from all of us! :-)

Reviewed 1 November 2017 via mobile

Papillon is a wonderful place to stay. The property is well-kept and put together, and the rooms are comfortable (I stayed in a family room). Great wifi. The beds aren't super soft, but they're not too hard either. Definitely soft compared to many other beds in Thailand.

There is a restaurant at the front of the resort and there are many points of interest (beach, store, restaurants) in walking distance. There's a very sweet dog and a couple of cats on the property. He usually sits by the front. If you don't like dogs, he'll leave you alone. But if you do, just give him some pets while he's walking around and he'll warm up to you quickly (he'll even walk you to the beach!). The cats keep to themselves unless you approach them.

None of the animals are allowed in the bungalows, so there shouldn't be any issues with allergies.

There is a pool on the property, also well-kept. I didn't get around to swimming in it, but it looked nice.

Two plastic water bottles per room are provided in the fridge. There is a water filter with cold water at the restaurant, so you can refill your bottles at any time. They also offer a laundry service (60baht/kg). It's a tiny bit more expensive than some other locations, but it's on property so, to me, the convenience is worth paying for.

The best part of this resort is the staff. They're friendly and welcoming, and the owner, Tony, is extraordinarily kind. Should you have any issues, I have no doubts that the staff will take care of them for you.
Definitely worth a stay.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Ryan M
Tony P, Owner at Papillon Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

It was a pleasure having you here, and we really do appreciate that you've liked Papillon that much, and the way you are describing our place and the staff is just perfect. It's great to know that you've liked the service we provided, and that you have felt well taken care off during your stay.

I really like how you are describing Becky (the dog), Nacho and Borje (the cats), and they are actually doing an amazing job with our guests, escort them to and from the beach like Becky do, or just staying cute as the cats are doing. ;-)

Once again we would like to thank you and your lovely family very much, and we are looking forward to see you again!