All reviews long beach the main road tv with dvd player family bungalow stayed for nights small pool minute walk thai food enjoyed our stay clean bungalows western dishes relaxing place restaurants and bars stayed longer relax bay fridge scooter
Reviewed 26 April 2018

We spent a week at Papillon well looked after by Tony and his ever smiling,friendly staff. We loved the layout and surroundings of the individual bungalows, none more than yards from the very welcoming pool,chill out areas and restaurant.
We didn't breakfast here but ate in the restaurant several times simply because it was the best. Many other respectable eateries out there but none matched the Papillon. Hats off to the lovely lady chefs.
Location is central to the beach,shops and restaurants,all within walking distance. There is even a shortcut to the beach from the bungalows. No shortage of taxis either to take you further away.
Highly recommended in every way.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teresa R
Tony P, Owner at Papillon Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2018

Thank you very much for a great review, and that you have taken your time to write it! :-)

I would like to start with expressing how much we enjoyed and appreciated your stay here at Papillon Bungalows, you are a lovely couple and it's never hard to take care and please nice people as you two. Just reading the title "We hit the jackpot" brings us much joy and happiness, and I can never tell our dear guests enough times how proud we are to have the staff we have. After being working with them for almost three years now I strongly feel that we have become a well organised "family", and they do mean a lot to me, as to our guests. Our chefs Pi Noom and Lux are still cooking this amazing food with their hearts, after the four years we've had the pleasure to have them here, during our ownership. I do think our beloved guests really can see that we are like a family in the amazing job they are doing, and sense the familiar atmosphere which naturally applies on our guests as well.

It's great to read that you've liked our place, location and surroundings that much, and that you are recommending us highly to other potential guests. I could see how much you used your camera, and even if I was scared that you were going to drop your non water-proved equipment in the pool I was delighted that you've "documented" that much during your stay with us. I hope you'll find much pleasure in looking back on your memories from here, and I must admit that I am a little bit jealous for you having all these nice photos. ;-)

Thank you once again and we really wish you are coming back someday, and us to be able to give you a very warm welcome! :-)

Best Wishes and Regards,

Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

I had an amazing stay at papillon mid March 2018.

The bungalows are a good size, clean with with good amenities. The TV had no signal but they so provide dvd etc if you do have children (but hey you're in Thailand who needs TV).
WiFi is available throughout. I stayed in the bungalow furthest back from the main reception and still had a solid connection.

Staff were always so helpful and polite like all the local people in Thailand. Tony greeted me upon arrival and seems a sound guy. Always available for communication before and during the trip, and he pops by each day should you have any questions /issues.

Breakfast consists of 4 set options. It's pretty basic but for what you're paying it does the job. There is a restaurant on site which I didn't try, but the food looked amazing.
Around a 5 minute walk from the beautiful long beach's of koh Lanta. Towels are provided at front desk should you require one.

There is a pool, however I only used it the last day whilst waiting for a transfer to the airport.

Overall I would recommend Papillon. So tranquil its almost like a meditation resort. If I came back to koh Lanta I'd definitely swing by these bungalows!

Thanks again!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank Nuggey
Tony P, Owner at Papillon Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2018

Thank you for a great review, and that you have taken your time to write it! :-)

Your review really describes Papillon as we like it to be described, and we highly appreciate that. We do not have TV-channels, and like you've wrote, who needs that in Thailand when it's so much other fantastic things to look at? Also, the most of the channels are in Thai or dubbed in Thai, so it does feel a little bit pointless to have them to be honest, especially when don't have many Thai-peole staying with us.. The DVD-movies seems to be more than enough for both the children and the adults, and these a days a lot of people do bring their own computers or tablets. It's good that you're mentioning our WiFi, and it's mostly quite solid, but of course when we do experience some seasonly hard weather it could be a little bit less solid.

It's lovely to read how you, among our other guests feels about our place, the Staff with me included, and we do enjoy giving our lovely guests the best service we possibly can, and to get the appreciation from you all is just fantastic. Things like this makes it easy to keep up a good job, and it alls comes so natural to us.

You should have tried the food in our restaurant, but you can do that the next time you'll come and stay with us instead. ;-)

Thank you once again, and of course for recommending us to others as well. It's highly appreciated, and you are of course very welcome back! :-)

Best Regards and Wishes,

Reviewed 13 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here in January and really enjoyed our stay. We wanted a mid priced option - not fancy expensive and not backpacker cheap but still nice. The bungalows are really cute, very clean and have everything you need, even a hammock on the little porch area. The resort is small and is located on the main road, but the bungalows are set in off the road, in a tropical garden and we found ours to be quiet, even though it was one of the closest to the road. There's a small pool that we didn't use but did look clean and inviting. Long beach is a short walk away and is gorgeous, as were the sunsets. We walked to relax bay also which is very nice.
We ate in the restaurant a few times and the food was always really good, huge portions and the prices very reasonable.
Tony was helpful at answering any queries before we arrived, and arranged transport from Krabi to the bungalows, which worked out great and we would recommend doing. The staff at the bungalows were so friendly and polite. We rented a scooter from them twice to explore the islands, unbelievably cheaply, and booked a tour to ko rok which was great.
We loved our stay in papillon bungalows and ko lanta, and would love to return some day.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fitz88
Tony P, Owner at Papillon Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2018

It's lovely to read that you've liked your stay with us that much, and just by reading the review title I'm sure you've appreciated our place a lot. We do always feel very proud when the Staff and me are mentioned as friendly, polite and helpful, and as I've wrote many times before, it's never hard to be nice and service-minded to nice guests like you. We are very lucky to have great guests staying with us, and that combined with the relaxed atmosphere we have seems to be a very good and appreciated experience during their stay with us.

You're also mentioning our food which we had many great reviews regarding (we do have a TripAdvisor-profile separately for Papillon Restaurant), and by mentioning the large portions we are serving I think our guests do realise that we do want the best for them. ;-)

Regarding our location we do actually have more than 50 meters from our reception-area to the main road, and like you've wrote the bungalows are far enough from the main road, set in the quiet tropical garden of ours. Also it's great to know that our guests likes everything from the cleanliness, necessaries in and outside the bungalows, and how they are designed. ;-)

Thank you very much again and you are of course very welcome back, and we do hope for your return someday! :-)

Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

We just returned from a fabulous week at Papillon. Tony, the owner, was friendly and helpful from the moment of booking right through until we departed. The ladies who work in the restaurant and behind the reception desk were also excellent and very friendly.
We were a large group and we were probably quite demanding but the staff managed to provide everything we needed and we never had to wait long. Breakfast was lovely and the pancakes were a big hit with the kids.
As we were travelling with children and wanted to get them to bed fairly early, we ate at Papillon restaurant each night. Fortunately, the food there actually turned out to be the best food we ate on the whole trip - and we have been to Thailand many, many times and know good Thai food when we find it!
One day we asked for Thai Fish Cakes that weren’t on the menu and the ladies arranged to make them for us the following evening. They were gorgeous.
The huts were very cute and pristinely clean. Despite being in the garden around lots of nature we didn’t have a single bug in the room - not even a mozzie. There are mozzie nets if you need them though.
There were four of us in one room with the children in a bunk bed and we all slept soundly each night.
Papillon is very close to Long Beach and an easy walk if you follow the path next to Lym’s. It’s a pleasant walk and we spotted a number of interesting birds each time. The beach bar at Lym’s was nice but the food there wasn’t a patch on the food at Papillon. The beach itself is beautiful though and was pretty quiet when we were there.
We enjoyed returning to the pool after we’d been out for the day. It’s fairly small but was perfect for us and the children had hours of fun.
We didn’t see much of Koh Lanta really. On a couple of days we ate lunch in one of the restaurants on stilts in Saladan and we went of a trip to Koh Rok which the hotel arranged for us.
Was always lovely to come back to Papillon and relax.
Hope to see you all again one day!!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank CharlotteMBaker
Tony P, Owner at Papillon Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

It's fantastic to read your review and how you have experienced your stay with us at Papillon Bungalows, and it was a pleasure meeting you all. It seems like you have appreciated just about everything from the service we provide, the Staff, the bungalows with it's surrounding and last but not least, our food. To read that our food was that appreciated after you're obviously been around and that you do know your thai food is just lovely, and as you probably understand we are very proud of our chefs, as with the rest of our Staff. ;-)

This review is a role model for the reviews we prefer to get, and to keep on getting them keeps us going with a higher self confidence and believing that we are doing something right. You are all very nice and it was a pure pleasure having you all staying with us.

Thank you once again, and we do hope for your return some day! :-)

Kindly say hello and thank you to all the others from me and the Staff!

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Tony and his team especially the very kind lady in the kitchen are very nice and helpful. They organized a transfer for us from Krabi to Ko Lanta including child seats which was a great experience. The bungalows are clean, the included breakfast good and food at the restaurant (although pricy) very tasty.

Unfortunately, our experience did not start as well as the family bungalow with bunk bed is located besides a tree that has nasty stinging fruit pods that land on the terrace, in front of the bungalow and on the clothes hang to dry. If you touch them or step into them you have many little thorns in your skin, which happened to us and our children a few times during our stay. If you have small children you know how small things like that can cloud your vacation experience. The bungalows are clean and spacious, but unfortunately there is not a lot of space to store your belongings. The pool is quite small and not very deep, but ok to take a dip. After staying at Ko Phagnan and At Longtail Beach resort, we were a little disappointed with Papillon and Ko Lanta. It is very hot, the main road is directly in front of the hotel and there is so much traffic and noise, the garden is dry and dusty, on each of the sides of the resort is a small street and a kind of building site plus you hear load music from the bars.

Yes, the beaches especially long beach and relax bay are very nice and the islands surely worth a visit, but for the rest we just did not really warm up to this island. For restaurants we recommend the Isaan bbq and the little restaurant opposite the pharmacy at Prae village. Both very good and good value for money. Night market and old town are ok to visit but not especially memorable.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Tony P, Owner at Papillon Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Thank you for a good review regarding Papillon, and that you had taken your time to write it! :-)

I get both happy and a little bit disappointed when I'm reading your review, happy since you in general seemed to like Papillon and us very much, and sad because I've noticed how unfair your picture of the enviroment both inside and outside Papillon, and Koh Lanta in general, have been experienced by you. I do feel that I have to "defend" us and Koh Lanta, Longbeach a little bit when it comes to a couple of things you've mentioned in your review, and I really hope you're not getting offended by my reply in any way. I will try to narrow it down a bit for you, but I think among other issues, it's very important to inform you and other potential guests about the conditions in a tropical country as Thailand. ;-)

To start with, I want to clarify that the prices we have on our menu isn't expensive at all if you compare to many other restaurants on the island, or other places in Thailand for that matter. I believe Koh Lanta is a medium-price island, and there is a lot of places where they have much higher prices than here. Everything eatable we do have on our menu is between 45-300 baht, and if you'll find that expensive you should maybe reconsider if the popular islands are the right places for you and your family to visit, or unfortunately Thailand in general. I can assure you that we are not making any large profits in our restaurant, but we do have it as an extra service for our guests, and they do in general see a value in getting large portions of amazing food for more than reasonable prices.
I do remember that you've told me that you where travelling on a tight budget, but when it all comes around that is actually your choice to do so in high season, and with prices on the menu for probably 1/4 of the prices in your home country I'm surprised that you think it's "pricy". Also, we are actually more used to guests using the "laundry service" during their supposed relaxed vacation, so getting the request about the washing line (which we did arrange for you, among many other things) felt a little bit unusual to be honest, and the only place to put it was under that fruit tree. ;-)

Regarding the fruit-tree next to the bungalow you've stayed in, it's true that it does have fruits with thorns, but on the other hand I don't think it's such a good idea to let you're children run around barefoot in tropical gardens with all the different tropical vegetations and more at all, and I do remember that your children where exploring the area quite a lot. Nothing bad about that, but maybe they should have some kind of protection on their feet when they do so. To be honest there is fruit-trees and other things you can harm yourself on basically everywhere in the world, not only in the Papillon-area or in Thailand. For me it's more a matter of looking after your children so that they don't harm themselves in anyway, and I do hope you'll understand that I don't in any way mean that you are making a bad parenting, but if you want to make sure things like this doesn't happen that's basically what it all comes down to. After raising two children on my own, which now are grown up's, I think I know pretty well how to, at least TRY to make sure they don't harm themselves in any ways. ;-)

Regarding space to store your clothes and belongings we do have a wardrobe in all of our bungalows which should be enough, and it is so different with what people require and you can't obviously please them all. Our guests in general seems to appreciate the open space in the bungalows more than a lot of storing options. Regarding the pool, if there would be an option saying "only pool" when you are making the property settings, we would have chosen that, but there is actually only "swimming pool" or "no pool" to choose from, and ours is a pool perfect to cool down in, and not a swimming pool. Our pool rooms 40.000 litres which should be more than enough for a resort with only 10 bungalows, and it does have three different depths, one for the very smallest (0.5 m), one for young children (0.85 m) and one for adults (1.35 m), and a sitting area surrounding the deepest area, and this is normally very appreciated by absolutely the majority of our guests. Especially the ones with small children like yours. ;-)

Regarding the closeness to the main road, the reception and restaurant-area which is located closest to the road, is actually more than 50 meters away, so I really can't understand how you've estimated that it's directly in front of the main road. Also, the pool-area is located after the restaurant area towards the beach (around 80 meters from the main road), and last but not the least, it's at least 100 meters to the nearest bungalow from the main road which our guests normally think is great and makes our place really quiet. Of course you can hear the traffic from the restaurant, especially in the high season, and at the moment they are widening the road, which is great for the future traffic situation here on Koh Lanta. This is a temporary job and hopefully won't bother anyone when it's eventually finished. I bet you can't name many restaurants along the main road that don't have the sound from the traffic here on Koh Lanta, and certainly not the one you're doing advertisement for in your review of us(?). ;-)

You where staying here in the dry season, that could be the reason of our garden being a bit "dry and dusty", and if you want to have it more green and not that hot(!!!??) as you've wrote, maybe you should reconsider coming here in the not so dry season instead, around October, November, December or early January. In general the tourists wants to have warm weather when they are travelling to Thailand though, but that just proves that you cant please everyone, doesn't it? ;-)

I want, closer to the finish of my reply, say that I don't think it's really fair to compare our restaurant, which is an real hotel-restaurant, to the cheaper street-restaurants, even if it's definitely worth visiting them as well. And to read that it's noisy (totally the opposite to what the majority of our previous guests think) also makes me confused, especially after reading that you have stayed at Koh Phagnan and obviously experienced that to be more quiet than here. There is ONE beach-bar in the nearby area having some party twice a week, but it's more than 200 meters from our place and the sound normally doesn't reach us that much at all, but we do offer ear-plugs for our light-sleeping guests those two evenings per week when they do have the party. ;-)

A quick summary:

We are not Koh Phagnan, Thailand is a tropical country and therefor hot and it includes different tropical vegetations, and it is actually quite dry in the dry season here. Our restaurant keeps on getting those 5-bubbles for a reason I believe, and the previous guests reviewing us haven't so far mentioned us being that expensive. Me, together with a lot of other "Lanta-lovers" surely chooses to take notice of all the reviews mentioning how fantastic this island is, rather than see the very few negative reviews regarding Koh Lanta. ;-)

Anyway, we do really appreciate you giving us a 4-bubble, and not reviewing us based on the areas surrounding us, which you obviously didn't like that much. This proves to us that we are making something right here.
You are a very nice family and I do hope you'll giving this island one more chance and trying to be more open minded during that visit, so that you can experience all the great things on, and around this lovely place.

Thank you once again, and we do hope for your return someday! :-)