“So relaxing...”

Ranked #34 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Helsinki, Finland
“So relaxing...”
Reviewed 3 December 2012

At first I fell in love the scene in Amantra resort and spa. It's right at the beach and u can actually decide rather to swim at the ocean or at the pool cos they are so near. Also a breakfast near sea was amazing. We stayed at the "apartment building" which was the cheapest one and it was okey. Nothing special, but it was clean and bed was comfy. No problems with safety as we read before.

The only problems we had was at the restaurant. Food was good, but service wasn't. The waiters seemed to be really confused all the time. They brought us pancake when we ordered a steak. Their english wasn't really good so we rather went to eat somewhere else. It was just really awkward for u when the waiters didn't seem to know what they are doing.

There was some kind scuba diving company which offered free scuba on a swimming pool. We didn't try it but it was actually pretty annoying when u couldn't use the bigger part of pool while they are diving and they dived at noon the best (and hottest) part of the day. But that wasn't every day.

It also annoying when we wanted to rent scooters and the receptionist told us to come next day at 11. So we did and then she said that come at 12. And we did. And then she said that there is no scooters anymore.

I recommend to try this hotel just because the location is so pretty. But i wouldn't stay there again because of the staff and their lack of english.

Room Tip: Bungalows seemed to be much nicer than room in the apartment building. But also more expensive.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 30 November 2012

This is the first time to travel at Koh lanta,Krabi because I had been here for hunneymoon.I felt good when I arrived here,the staffs was warm welcomed (I booked the room from the internet).There are nice beautiful beaches and nice pool.I booked the beach front villa room for 3 nights and got a better price from the hotel.when I looked to inside the room,it was cleaned and tidy.In the evening we can see the sunset in front of the pool(very wonderful for my trip) I had dinner with my boyfriend at the restaurant.There are many foods like Thai foods,International foods,fruits and beverages(the foods are good and delicious) You can relax with Thai massage there as well,it felt really good for your body.The manager and services was nice,he always take care me and my boyfriend.We will return to this hotel(Amantra Resort)again ^^

Room Tip: I chose the beach front villa room (the pool is located in front of the room)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2012

i went on this holiday with my boyfriend, we flew out on 1.11.12. When we got to the hotel it was very late much later than expected due to connectnig flight. The staff had stayed up to greet us. They upgraded our rooms straight away without asking. The room was lovley large bright and very clean. The staff were amazing, always friendly smiling and really made our stay one to remember. We hired a motor bike from the hotel and went from one end of the island to the other this was amazing we had a great laugh, we really got to see the local sights and how people live in the more rural areas. The whole holiday was great the hotel was much better than what people have said on here. The food was great, they do a lovley breakfast off the set menu, with fruit pancakes and scrambled eggs and toast. The cocktail man was probably the best maker of mohitos on the island. i really cant see how people can be negative about the hotel because in our opinion it was great from start to end. I would also recommend the Amantra massage team on the beach they were great and my body felt really good after a massage. We also found the manager to be polite and accomidating and we will return to this hotel again im sure.

Room Tip: have a room overlooking the beach, you can hear the sea from your room which i find very relaxing
1 Thank leannlesleyjones
Reviewed 21 November 2012

General:Booked one night in two beach front villas (i think it was room 101 and 118), for a cheap price from hotels.com. Ended up staying for two more night (manly because we were lazy), and got a better price from the hotel. Hard to communicate with some of their staff, since their English is not the best (But this is not different to many places in Thailand where I have been). But the ones who speak the best English seem to be working at the reception desk, so everything worked out fine for us.

Rooms: View of the rooms were great. Nice terrace, but not all of them were furnished. Room was nice (maybe not as nice as in the hotels online pictures, but nice). Beds and pillows were hard - but this is as expected on a three star hotel in Thailand. If you are picky about this, you need to book a five star hotel. Bathroom, much nicer in room 101 (nice) than in 118 (just OK). I have seen many nicer, but also some worse on hotels in this category.

Cleaning: If you hang out the please clean my room sign on the door, the clean your room. And they daily evaporate every trace of sand in the room. So for a few lucky moments (before you drag more sand in) you forget that soon there will be sand everywhere. The only small comment I have about cleaning is that when we checked in, it was a small spiderweb under the sink in the bathroom. But no spider, so really didn't see that as a huge problem.

Restaurant and breakfast: We had breakfast from a buffet one day (OK, juice, eggs, bacon, pancakes, fruits, cereals) and from the a la carte one day (pre-set menu A, B, C, or D, including different things such as porridge, juice, pancakes, omelets... depending of which menu you pick). Neither the buffet or the a la carte are breakfasts you will remember, in a good or in a bad way. Very standard and maybe a tiny bit boring.
We also had dinner there, it was raining the day we arrived, and we traveled with kids, and after a long trip we decided to take our chances (even though many reviewers implied that this was a terrible place to eat). We decided to go for the thai food (in my opinion what the Thai's do best. I don't believe that they will bring their A-game every tuna sandwich they make), and all four adults had a great meal. And a am a foodie, so this is important to me. We even had a second dinner there, that one also great. We ordered curries, and stir fries and hot pans and thai salads. The kids at least once ordered western spaghetti bolognese - and they liked it. We tasted and thought it was OK. Could they have hired new chefs? Because otherwise I don't get were all complaints come from?

Pool and garden: Nicely maintained gardens, and a great location on the beach. It was a bit windy when we were there so the kids preferred to pool to the ocean. The pool is a budget kind that you will find on many smaller thai-islands (with a plastic"carpet" instead of tile). It was a bit of sand in it that irritated me (but I guess when the pool is practically on the beach, this is bound to happen?), but in general seemed clean, and the kids loved it. I however did not walk around the rest of the resort, just beachfront, reception restaurant and pool area, so cant say so much about the rest of the resort.

Conclusion: I could live here again, but I would not look super much forward to it. Basic, but it gave us the possibility with our budget to have a house just by the sea, with all the demands we had (swimming pool, ac in the room, extra beds and so on). You get what you pay for, and this is a reasonably priced beach front house. The standard is just that, reasonable.

Last note. The day we came, it was raining a lot all day. This lead to some pluming problems (discolored water in the pipes). On all overpopulation thai-islands there are problems with sewage systems, and I think the rain that poured down all day (quite rare) brought on some problems.

Room Tip: 101 is the one closest to the massage parlor. 118 towards the bar. So would go for 104-116 for the v...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Karin79_Stockholm
Klang, Selangor, Malaysia
Reviewed 11 September 2012

This is the first time i been to Koh lanta and I was expected nice beautiful beaches and hotel as mentioned. upon arrived the service was good but when entering to the hotel, the floor were so sticky and the deluxe room looks simple in a sight of view. nothing much special in the room but just only 2 folded swam decorated on the bed. why do I comment it was worst experience because the first night my room almost enter thief through the window which is already locked. Around 5am in the morning, i heard something weird noise other then the roaring beach which is "ticking". At first i though it was nothing but after a short time, i went to the window and i could saw a human shadow reflected from my neighbor window. My neighbor wasn't occupied that time. So i woke my gf and told her quietly there's someone trying to break in. So i open up the curtain and saw a person covered in black almost entering my room. So i shouted very loud to chase away the thief. Then only the thief run away. There's no road light or intercom for in this hotel. So we have decided to wait until sun raise and decide for early check out. Have reported police but so far no feedback given as well.
if you're about to go krabi, please don't visit this place (koh lanta) as it seems to be so boring and not happening. Recommended to stay at Ao nang hotel is much better and cheaper. you can just can't stop shopping at the night market and happening pub and club there as well. hope this review helps.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AlvisHann

Travellers are raving about these Ko Lanta hotels

Reviewed 22 July 2012

We booked a really cheap last minute deal and were very pleasantly surprised. Amantra was quite basic but for the price it felt much nicer than what we had understood while booking and by other reviews. It is located at the end of Khlong Nin Beach making it a bit secluded and quiet which we appreciated.

Our bungalow had a view of the beach, was quite spacious, comfortable beds, was really clean and tidy but had a very simple bathroom with no pressure in the shower. Free wifi. Very functional but basic.

The beach was nice but not as child friendly as klong dao. Just below the hotel lay some rocks and it deepened quite fast which made it more difficult for young children to swim. There was however a lovely pool where you could swim and enjoy the stunning sunsets, fantastic!

The food was ok but the staff in the restaurant was not very good at English which caused some funny mistakes but on the whole it worked well. A dive center which organized courses.

The hotel could help with transport and also arrange private tours around the island.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank pese
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Am here during the low season so it's pretty quiet at the resort. We're the only guests actually. Seems like a great place to stay except everything's under renovation so there's no direct access to the beach, no restaurant, and no spa. Very friendly staff though.

• Stayed July 2012