“amazing stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Escape-Cabins
Barcelona, Spain
“amazing stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

An absolutely amazing stay at Escape Cabins. Room was spacious, nicely decorated and very clean. Free bottled water was left in our fridge everyday and we even had our own little kitchen area with a microwave and some plates/cutlery. The cabins are spaced around a small pool, perfect for a dip to cool down after a hot day sightseeing! The place is set back from the road and was very peaceful, but shops, restaurants and a very good massage palour (Dreamy's Massage) are walking distance. What also made our stay was Yoko, the owner. She was so welcoming and helpful, she helped us rent a moped, arrange our onward transfer and was generally a pleasure to talk to. Oh and we can't forget the adorable cats owned by Yoko, so chilled out and friendly we wanted to take them home with us!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Gurgaon, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

If you're looking for a luxury hotel where you get 24 hours room service and snobbish 5 star treatment, this is NOT for you.
OK so I give it 4.5 stars coz I feel there is always scope for improvement.
If you're looking for a comfortable, friendly, clean, spacious and efficient accommodation for the family and don't mind walking 500m to the beach, this is ideal.
We booked here for 3 nights and ended up staying for 4. Wish we had more time. The kids loved the pool just a step away from the cottage. The cottage itself was spacious and felt more like a comfortable home than a hotel. We had a room below, and the kids slept in the comfortable attic above the room. Everything just worked flawlessly. The internet was blazing fast and always worked, unlike some of the fancier hotels I stayed in during my Krabi holiday.
The place does not have a restaurant and I am glad!! Krua Kritsana, just outside has about the best and cheapest Thai food I have had during my entire Thailand trip.
Yuko, the host, is Japanese and has studied in Canada and speaks fluent English. She can arrange anything from you. We hired a car through her and it worked out great. The kids loved her 5 cats (or is it 6 now). They were always around but not intrusive at all!
There is hardly anything that I can find fault with but here is something that could be improved:
1. The Cottage gets hot in peak summer and we needed to leave the 2 A/C's on all the time even when we were out to be comfortable. Not very green but I think some insulation might do the trick.
2. The WC in the washroom is right behind the shower!!! There is ample space on the other side so I wonder if this was a design flaw. The other washrooms in other cottages we saw did not have this issue.
3. The walk to the main road is dimly lit at night and one needs to use a torch. Maybe some lights can be put there.

Otherwise a fantastic place to stay!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LAVNEET G
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

Another great review on Escape Cabins!! I stayed here during the low season for two weeks. I knew it was somewhat over my budget so I was honest to Yoko (owner) about this. She reacted really nice and we agreed on a good price for us both. I had two amazing weeks, as said earlier its not on the beach but a three minute walk. I actually liked that it wasn't too close since the weather can be rough which makes the sea quite loud. They have a small but nice pool to cool of on the days the sea was too rough or just to take a relaxed dip after a hot day on koh lanta. You might get company from one of the six(!) sweet cats, which a really well taking care of (this in contrary to many hostels who get kittens/puppies to get customers and get rid of the kittens after the high season)

What else to say:

- The beds are very nice!! So? you'd might think, but if you've stayed in Thailand before you know what I'm referring to. Most Thais beds are just plain concrete covered by a cotton sheet. Yoko has actual mattresses ;-). A relief after 4 weeks of rocky sleep.

- rooms are cleaned everyday although the bathroom was already immaculate when I arrived. No mold insight. I didn't get new towels every day (doesn't have to... Environment). But got them every time I asked for them.
The rooms have there own fridge, you get two bottles of 500ml water each day and you have your own water boiler. You also get free one cup coffee bags. Coffee is never far in Thailand, but it was nice to start my day with a coffee next to the pool or on your own terrace.

If your looking for a relaxed atmosphere, very nice rooms and good location, go here!

• Stayed May 2013
bangalore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

It was a toss up between choosing a beach front villa in Koh Lanta and one slightly more inland. But after reading all the wonderful reviews about Escape Cabins, our decision was made and I am glad we chose Escape Cabins. For one, it meant that we got out and explored the several wonderful beaches in Koh Lanta - we would otherwise have spent most of the time on one beach attached to our resort if we had chosen a beach resort. But more than that is the loveliness of Escape Cabins. It's small but built and laid out in a way that makes it look deceptively large. The place is lush, the rooms are lovely (we stayed in a twin connected room) and of course, the owner Yuko will go out of her way to attend to your every need and request. Then of course are the cats which the kids were delighted to have around. What's also great are the choice of restaurants, a grocery store and ATMs just a few minutes walk away

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

We stayed in this lovely place for a few nights in April. The owner was very helpful and arranged our tours and transfers. The Zen Cottage was clean, comfy and spacious. The pool is small but a great place to lay out and take a dip to cool off. We would definitely recommend staying here to anyone. I would have given it 5 stars if it were beachfront! But the beach is just a short walk away.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

I stayed at Escape bungalows for nearly 4 weeks and during that time I stayed in different bungalows, the longest in the Zen. I loved it. So much room, real nice interior, your own private balcony with two deck chairs overlooking the garden and the pool, big flat screen tv, fridge, microwave (more like a small kitchenette) air con.Safes were being installed at the time when I left.
The grounds as well as bungalows are being kept in great shape...and bedlinen, towels and bungalows inside are being kept squeaky clean.
Great relaxing vibe around. Staff very friendly and Yuko, the owner very much in control in a very very positive way! Some good books laying around to read during your holiday. close to some food stalls and restaurants (some good, others so so) and a convenient store.
Beach just a short walk across the road. Easy bicycle ride into town and rental of a motorbike can be arranged as well as trips etc.
I miss it all, especially the visiting cats , owned by Yuko
I hope to be back again one day or better, I WILL be back one day!

Room Tip: the lay out as well as interior decorating of the bungalows all differ. check them out if possible...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MagElise
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

If you are going to Koh Lanta with your family I can really recommend this place. We stayed in the "cottage" which easily accommodated our family of four. Our kids slept upstairs on the loft and the master bed was downstairs. The house is a very open plan so there is no way to "close the door" to get some privacy in the bedroom and there are no blackout blinds to keep the sun out if you like to sleep late in the morning.The kitchenette is enough to make simple meals and breakfast but with the nearby restaurants we ate out pretty much all the time. After all we were on holiday. There is a small pool but since there are only 7 rooms there was never any lack of space.
The location is good with about 10 minutes walk to the beach and a number of local restaurants within 5 minutes walk.
The service left nothing else to wish for. Anything you could possibly ask for Yuko went to a full arms length to make sure you got it. If we come back to Koh Lanta it is highly likely that we will stay here again.

Room Tip: The "cottage" is great for a family.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family