“Best place I've stayed in Thailand. Loved every minute.”
Review of Escape-Cabins

Escape-Cabins
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We spent 3 fantastic nights at Escape Cabins and really wished we could have stayed longer. When we arrived, Yuko, who is an amazing host, offered us a free upgrade to the Comfort Double Room as it was quiet season. The room was really beautiful, artistically decorated and immaculately clean. The bed was so comfortable, had a great night's sleep every night. Wifi was excellent. Large flat screen t.v with plenty of channels, which came in handy one day as it rained for most of the day. Air-con worked perfectly. Bathroom was spotless. Really nice complimentary gourmet nescafe and herbal teas, as well as bottles of drinking water provided every day. The bungalows are set in a lovely, peaceful garden, and there is also a really nice pool to cool off after a day at the beach. Really good location too, just a stone's throw from Long Beach, which is definitely the nicest beach on the island, and also lots of restaurants very close by. The Irish Embassy bar, which seemed to be the only bar open during slow season, is a pleasant 15 minute walk away. Everything was perfect, I can't find anything negative to say. I would only stay here if I was coming back to Koh Lanta.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We were picked up from the pier in Saladan, which was very convenient. The room has everything you need incl. safe, fridge and TV (big selection of channels). The bed was good (not too soft!) but could have been a bit longer for me, but it's obviously hard to get bigger beds in Thailand. I didn't like the powerpoints next to my head (in Cozy room), maybe the bed could be placed to the other wall. The wireless internet was a bit a problem as it sometimes worked and sometimes not, which was according to Yuko a problem of the provider. Yuko and her staff were very friendly, as were the five cats hanging around the reception. The walk to the beach was a little bit longer than expected, but not really a problem. The breakfast was in one of the restaurants on the road (Krua Kritsana). It was good but a bit on the small side (eg either coffee or juice but not both)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This was our 4th stay at escape cabins and I can't imagine staying anywhere else when visiting Koh Lanta, we just love it!

I've said it all before but Yuko is the perfect host, she is very knowledgable about the island and surrounding areas and can organise anything you need. Our onward travel arrangements were hassle free thanks to her advice.

We love the peace tranquility of Escape Cabins and find the location perfect for our needs, great restaurants within walking distance, a well stocked minimart virtually on the doorstep and you can walk to the beach in less than 5 minutes. Most importantly there are several street food vendors close by in the daytime!

If you rent a scooter it's just a short drive to some beautiful secluded beaches. Although all beaches are good on Lanta.

Thanks again Yuko for another amazing stay at your little paradise!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This was the third year that we have returned to Escape Cabins for a long stay. As good as ever.
Wonderful service, cleanliness and facilities.
A beautiful location 5 mins from the beach in a landscaped garden away from the dust and noise of the beach. Yuko and her staff could not be more helpful in every respect - nothing is too much trouble. The air con works well and quietly, the beds are super comfortable and the TV channels are numerous and work well. Superb pool kept to the highest standards.
Loads of repeat customers that prove that all the nice things said about Escape Cabins are true
Cannot wait to return next January..

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Based on the reviews on Tripadvisor I chose this place to spend some time while in Lanta and I liked it so much I extended my trip with 3 more days.
Everything was so well organized, from pick-up at the pier, trips being booked through Yuko, the owner, to recommendations where to go or eat.
There are many restaurants, shops, massage places and of course the beach all within walking distance. Because of the location it also provides a quiet sleep, away from some beachparties at night with some loud music. All rooms or bungalows are located in a lush garden with a swimming pool, very relaxing. They also have DVD's in case you would like to watch a movie.
Yuko and her staff made my stay so personal and easy I decided to stay longer and book a day trip to the surrounding islands of Koh Kradan and Koh Ngai.
While being on the island make sure to rent a scooter and explore some of the other beautiful beaches Lanta has to offer. Bamboo Bay and Ao Nui are quiet, with crystal clear water and not that many people. The day trip to Koh Rok was one of my highlights as a day trip. Never have I seen such a beautiful beach with clear blue water, amazing!
The 4 island trip to Koh Ngai and the Emerald Cave was nice even though the Emerald Cave was packed with many people. If you go there make sure to be there early in the morning. Both trips can be booked through Yuko for a reasonable price.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This is a very small resort set around a very small pool, at half the price we paid it would have been a decent choice however for what we paid I expected more like for example shower gel, shampoo etc. in the bathroom. There was only a small piece of soap. The rooms are indeed clean but very spartan fitted, except for a rack behind a curtain no place to hang clothes.

At 8:45 after breakfast on the morning we were departing we found housekeeping preparing the room for the next occupants (who were already hovering outside), we didn't check out yet and still had the key, check out is at 11:00 AM. We left with the unpleasant feeling, we felt chased off.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul V
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Escape Cabins have a number of room types and the one I stayed in had apparently somehow been operated as a separate business but has now been integrated into the Escape Cabins business. These rooms have been called "Sino" rooms in keeping with each room type having a unique name, and they directly abut the main Escape Cabins property. Basically you just walk across the driveway and through the gate into the pool area. This was fine by me and I didn't feel like I was staying at a seperate property.
Yuko runs the show at Escape Cabins quite well. She is responsive to email correspondence and reservations requests, and understands the needs of tourists by providing clean and comfortable accommodation. She and her staff are helpful on site, and her welcoming but unintrusive nature helped to make my stay all the more pleasant.
The cabin I stayed in had a comfortable King size bed which was a true King Size. I was glad that the bed had a clean doona to sleep under, rather than the usual mess of blankets and sheets tucked in with hospital corners that are impossible to sleep under - something I tend to more commonly encounter in my travels.
Rooms were cleaned daily however I was surprised that new soap wasn't provided daily, and there was a day when my towels weren't replaced with clean ones. I was also surprised that a hairdryer wasn't included as part of the in-room amenities.
Perhaps funnily, the in-room safe wasn't bolted down to anything. I guess if you saw someone walking out of a room with a safe under their arm you'd notice and say something!! And either way I felt safe at the property and also felt my belongings were safe there.
There was a good selection of Satellite TV channels - not all my favourites, but certainly enough to keep me amused at night.
I also appreciated that the window blinds/curtains in my cabin blocked the sunlight out well, although there were no sheer curtains so having the curtains drawn made me feel exposed to anyone passing by.
The swimming pool at Escape Cabins was pleasant, not huge, and not deep enough at any point to cover my whole body if I'm standing up. I'd say it was just big enough to be able to do laps - from memory if I had to estimate it was about 10-12 metres in length.
Upon arrival it was explained to us that the water may run out on occasion, in which case it would be necessary to wait about 30-40 minutes until supply resumed. This happened once during my 5 day stay, naturally at a most inopportune moment when I was under the shower! Nonetheless it did resume as stated, and the only reason I could figure out for this was that the property seems to be on tank water, with some sort of pumping system in place to fill up the tanks. The pumps must only get triggered when the system is completely empty which was a little disappointing.
It was also explained to us that the electricity supply was unstable, so if the power went out we shouldn't worry. Unfortunately there was no backup generator when this happened a couple of times during my stay. I guess it's tolerable, but it was still a little frustrating as it caused the internet to stop working, as well as the air conditioning and television. I wondered about how widespread such outages might be. They weren't frequent during my stay, but did happen a couple of times.
Breakfasts are served at Krua Kritsana restaurant on the main road, about a 4 minute leisurely walk away. These were OK, some meals were a good size while others seemed a bit inadequate. I had the "vege set" on one occasion which was supposed to have 2 eggs but it looked more like 1 scrambled egg, or one and a half at best. The lady working there was obviously not a morning person, as the vibe I got from her wasn't the most pleasant, yet at night when I passed by she was rather amicable. I guess if I had to work 14 hour days I wouldn't be smiling all the time either.
I also managed to hire a motorcycle at the Thai Orchid restaurant, which seems somehow attached to the Krua Kritsana restaurant, for 200 Baht per day. Hiring through the accommodation would have cost me 300 Baht per day.
The area surrounding the cabins along the main road has a few dining options, but not that many, and you're certainly better spoilt for choice if you head into Klong Dao beach or to Saladan town itself. I had what I thought was a lovely meal of BBQ King Tiger Prawns one night at Saladan Seafood, after which I had a gastro bug which took me a week to recover from.
Incidentally if anyone is looking for the Ko Lanta Post Office, it's a few hundred metres south along the main road from the turnoff into Escape Cabins. When I asked some locals in town where the local post office was, nobody seemed to know, with some believing there wasn't an official post office on the island!
My stay at Escape Cabins was pleasant, and worthwhile. In my travels around the island I noticed a lot of hotels and other accommodations that looked rather tired or run down (not everywhere, but there were quite a few), but Escape Cabins was new, well kept, and provided almost everything I needed for a relaxing stay. It was in a quiet spot, about 10 minutes walk to the beach, and although a little expensive by Thai standards in general, it was good value for money in terms of what was available on Ko Lanta. If you're not fussed about a beachfront location and prefer a more quiet, boutique property, then consider here, and book well in advance.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple