“Perfect relax without luxury”

Klong Jark Bungalows
Ranked #72 of 210 Speciality Lodging in Ko Lanta
“Perfect relax without luxury”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We came for just 2 nights but we stayed 5 days and did not want to leave, but we had to go home.

As in previous ratings there are pro's and con's with this place but for us the plus side outweighted the bad.

Bungalow, yes very basic maybe for that price but we were there in high-season. Do not frek-out if you sometimes find some bug's in the bathroom but they are easily removed.
The place manager is awesome, helpful and friendly and speaks perfect english. The restaurant makes good food especially when there is the fish-grill. the bar is toatlly ok especially during happy-hour even if they are somewhat expensive.

The beach is really great, not too many people, calm, welcoming and nice sand and water ( and try the restaurant at the end of the beach too ). easy to try on of the tours as they pick you up at the beach. ( do the 4 island trip).

overall we had a great time and met nice people.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Czech first
Brighton
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Koh lanta..is are favorite place in the world. Klong jark bungalows are extremely basic, even our bathroom shelf was held up by string...in fact it was so bad ..it's was funny. However we did not make a long booking so left when we had finished laughing which was 2 days. It's quite expensive for a shed and there are much better places on the island. However the manageress is lovely and some of her staff should perhaps try to be more like her, that is not completely miserable and staring into space. The food's ok and the guy that runs the bar is friendly, so there are good and bad points.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 23 December 2012

The location of the bungalows is perfect because Khlong Jaak Bay is maybe one of three bays in Ko Lanta that is not completely covered by hotels, bars , bungalows etc, plus the beach is really nice too, only very few rocks when you go in. It's a quiet place. The bungalows are simple and my air-conditioned bungalow was definetly overpriced which wouldn't be a problem in itself, only that I really felt screwd when I was asked a 200 BHT extra for hot water, which I didn't really need. ..The bungalows have a restaurant and the 'take-it-easy' bar connected. Food was ok, there was a seafood barbecue in the evening, that didn't very much convince me. Every evening the bartender put on a fire juggling show with always the same music, nothing I really need or would expect in such a location. I think you are getting the point. I can't really pin it down to sth specific but I couldn't really relax at that place and wouldn't go there again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We were three friends who started off booking just a single night at Klong Jark but ended up staying there for a week.

We arrived in the off season period in the end of september and aside from two other guests (who left the next day) we were the only people there. The resort is placed in a beautiful remote bay with a great sandy beach. It is a little remote so you either have to rent scooters or get around using taxi.

The staff mostly consists of a single family and they were absolutely lovely. Very helpful and gave good advise on what and where to go around the island. Many places you go in Thailand you feel like they try and sell you things you dont need but not at Klong Jark. They seemed really genuine and honest and gave us lots of good advise. As we were the only people there you might expect the service to be a little slow but that was not the case. Whenever we needed anything they would help us out straight away.

Also, the food is amazing. The first night we ate there they apologized saying that the real chef was not there till the high season but the food was hands down some of the best we had in our three weeks in Thailand.

The bungalows are plain and simple but for us it was perfect. The aircon worked great and the beds were comfortable. As long as you dont expect anything too luxurious you will not be disappointed.

All in all we had a really great time at Klong Jark. It was by far the most chilled and relaxing part of the holiday and we all enjoyed it immensely. As mentioned we stayed there in the off season and were pretty much the only guests so of course this is an important factor but we really left with the best impression possible of this place.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2012

If you are looking for a layer back Thai experience, look no more. I have travelled all over Thailand for the past few months and of all the places that I have stayed the Klong Jark bungalows has been one of my favorites. I read a few reviews about people no enjoying the time they spend here. I would have to disagree. Perhaps the reason they didn't enjoy the Klong Jark bungalows was because they were looking for a 5 star resort and expected to pay 1 star prices. This place is far from a 5 star resort, but if you are looking for a relaxing place to stay i would recommend staying here. Just don't expect to be waited on hand and foot. The bungalows are simple, with no tv and no fridge....but that is the way I like it. For 600 THB per night you get a classic Thai bungalow. The employees of the Klong Jark bungalows run on something I call Thai time, meaning nothing is a huge rush. I have no problem having to get up and grab a menu in the restaurant. This is all something I enjoy because when I'm on vacation I will admit I, just like the staff, run on Thai time and have no rush to do anything. Klong Jaak bay is amazing, beautiful snorkeling not 30 meters from shore and a relaxed family oriented setting. A real Thai experience and amazing friendly and helpful staff. They even called another resort for me to make bookings. Cannot say enough about the Klong Jark bungalows. When I return to Thailand this will be my first stop.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Travelnate2012
UK
Reviewed 10 February 2012

A single male traveller I arrived at night and was shown to my room by an obviously gay man who made sleazy suggestions about my penis, wanted me to go into the room in the dark etc. I have nothing at all against any sexual behaviour between consenting adults, but was shocked at the lack of professionalism. I told him this directly; the next day, he arrived to make more comments about my body etc. I mentioned it to reception, and they laughed 'everyone is different'. The issue - of prfessionalism - didnt seem to count. Staff in general were unresponsive; didn't know the wi-fi password, didn't have change, long queues at reception... except that they were strongly isnsitent that rooms are left on the dot for check-out, and quite abrupt ('Yes!' Of course!)when i asked whther I had to pay air-con rates if i did not use in the aircon (it was too cold for aircon!) . The location is lovely, a great beach, and the guy at the bar was friendly.. otherwise the rooms are plain and over-priced, and the resort totally fails to live up to its surroundings, such a shame because it could be a great place. Sadly it isn't... seems more like somewhre which is coming to the end of its lease with a distant owner who doesnt care. A shame.

Room Tip: Poor value (compared with centre and north of island) - only go if you don't care about terrible...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank djetlag

Travellers are raving about these Ko Lanta hotels

Reviewed 7 January 2012

This place is shockingly expensive for what you get. I have been backpacking for months around se Asia. This is not only one of the priciest places I've stayed but one of the worst. I am no stranger to the typical gross room you get as a penny pinching backpacker. However, I want to get what I paid for. I would expect this kind of room for half the price. The location is both a pro and a con. It's very remote and you have to walk for at least half an hour to get anywhere. It's very removed from all the action. The beach is actually quite beautiful. If this kind of location is something you desire then I would look at the surrounding resorts. I switched locations the next day and got a cleaner, nicer resort in a great area for 100 baht less. Do not stay here!

• Stayed January 2012