Sometimes you can just tell when you walk into a place, even a luxury resort, if the boss is on holiday. Sadly and frustratingly for us, we got that distinct impression throughout our whole stay at Crown Lanta.
The staff were visibly bored, lazy and we had trouble raising a smile from anyone who wasn't stationed at the front desk. We had to interrupt them from their magazines to order drinks, and prompt them 2,3,4 times for travel booking confirmations and answers to minor queries.
We stayed 3 nights in the Ocean Sunset Villa and yes, the sunset was amazing, but the trees were so overgrown that the view was greatly diminished. We had to move from our first villa because "rats had chewed through phone cables in the roof ", and when we were moved to our second villa, there was no running water...that is until this room flooded in the rain and saturated our bags. Apparently there was a broken seal on the door that hadn't been fixed. Dirty glasses from our room servicing were left outside our front door [by the maid] for over 24 hours, and during breakfast one of the waiters actually hoiked up and spat loudly into the bushes below from the balcony in front of our table. Totally disgusting.
We knew it was low season when we booked, and that Ko Lanta is a quieter island, but I really wished we had saved our money and stayed elsewhere. There's no doubt that the hotel is in a stunning location and I imagine that it would be a very different place to stay in high season - when the staff have a reason to bother.
The thing is, I don't need to be waited on hand and foot, nor do I have snobbish expectations, but I do feel strongly that when you pay more for a reputable service, you should receive it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We invite you to experience the privacy and natural setting of our 4.5 star boutique resort. With our property stretching across 22 hectares of park-like land it boasts gentle hills alongside steep cliffs overlooking the sea, an intimate and private white sand beach, as well as access to the famous 3km long Klong Dao Beach. Throughout our 83 generously-sized rooms and villas you’ll get the feeling of Thai contemporary architecture meets gracious Thai hospitality. Relax beside one of our two resort pools, enjoy the tastes of Thailand at our on-site restaurants, and be pampered at our rejuvenating Infinity Spa. In the evenings, sit seaside at our Reggae Bar and enjoy a cocktail while experiencing one of the best shows on the island – the sunset. The island of Lanta is still regarded as a green paradise where you will find splendid scenery such as rugged tree-covered hills, mangroves, and nine white sandy beaches. Our resort is ideally located, giving you the privacy of paradise, while also offering access to all the sights and sounds Koh Lanta has to offer. Crown Lanta has created lasting and vivid memories for guests worldwide, let us have a place in your heart as well. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp, Odigeo, Expedia, Agoda, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Crown Lanta Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crown Lanta Hotel Ko Lanta
- Crown Lanta Resort And Spa