“One of my favorites!”

Crown Lanta Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I spent here few days last year and just came back from another stay there. I had to go back, because I wanted some luxury to my Lanta visit for a quite reasonable price. Elegance deluxe rooms are large, as well as their balconies. One could have a ball there! I also took a look at the private pool villa, which was more than nice. I have to take it into account when planning my next trip.

The resort is cliffy, but so beautiful with its own private beach, which was surprisingly quiet even the hotel was full. Friendly staff, overpriced drinks at the pool bar (mini bar in the room was amazingly cheap, for example a can of beer for 50bht!), many waiters in the restaurants make this resort feel like 5* resort. Also the free shuttle bus 4 times a day to Saladan is a very nice detail that made me smile.

The minus points must be given for overbookings... We had booked 2 rooms, but they only had one left. So our friends had to sleep elsewhere the first night. But as an experienced Thai traveller that was no news to me, but anyway. Also paying 800bht extra/room for a quite simple breakfast was highly overpriced. Summa summarum I highly recommend that Crown must be experienced whenever paying a visit at Ko Lanta!

Room Tip: Elegance deluxe rooms have the best value to my taste!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pqi_royal
There are newer reviews for Crown Lanta Resort & Spa

Reviewed 23 February 2014

The staff in this resort was top. Always friendly and helpful. Our room was exactly like on the pictures. The whole resort was very clean. Another plus was the short way to the next big and nice beach on the backside of the resort.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Crown Lanta 5 nights and had been upgraded to a elegance deluxe room with direct access to the swimming pool.
The room: a dream, large with good decoration and quiet. Access to a beautiful beach a few footsteps away.
The restaurant next to the pool prepared the best Tom Yam soup of our stay in Thailande and a really excellent marguerita pizza for our daughter.
The personnel was very friendly and attentive.
One negative point: ignore the spa. There are twice cheaper and much better manucures and massages on the beach.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Beautiful setting, rooms and amenities. Easy access to the larger beaches and town. But the customer service was terrific - having missed our shuttle from Krabi airport, the assistant manager, Run, worked the phone to make sure we got there. Discounted the shuttle cost for the inconvenience, and comped us a bottle of wine. At every turn Run had ideas for us on how to take advantage of the area, and personally drove us to our next hotel when we had to leave.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank laurie y
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We rocked up to the hotel after a really long transfer, tired and dusty (despite our transfer stating that we'd ferry from Phuket, we were driven all the way to Hau Hin village- we could have just flown to Trang! Nice journey, but a bit epic!).

The people at reception were lovely- they ordered up a little golf cart to transfer us to our room. Unfortunately, some other guests returning from an outing got in this and refused to accept the driver saying that this was for us and they had to wait for the next one. So we just relaxed in the lobby whilst our cases did a victory lap, dropping these rude people off and then returning for us. When we got to our room, we were delighted to find cake and champagne awaiting us, which was a lovely touch (we were on honeymoon and it was also my birthday the next day).

This incident kind of sums up the stay. The staff, the rooms and the hotel was exquisite, but some of our fellow guests were sorely lacking in manners, dignity or class. There was another instance where a South African woman screamed at the poor waitress in the breakfast restaurant because she couldn't sit in "her" space. I was already there, having been seated at the table for my breakfast. The poor staff had to just take the bad treatment that they faced. She only stopped when I rose, and then slowly and deliberately walked past her to the Thai breakfast table for seconds, completely blanking her as I did. It was the perfect excuse to indulge in more of the lovely food.

We had lovely breakfasts every morning, and also used the pool bar once for lunch (post kayaking). This was lovely- we enjoyed some cocktails and had a snack-y late lunch which was satisfying.

We loved the hotel, but also got out and did a lot of things given how short this part of our trip was. I can recommend the three islands tour that we booked from the lady in the lobby. I would not recommend her for car hire at all though, as after we had left they billed us for a damaged tire- which was in perfect condition when we left the car and handed back the keys, even given the dodgy roads on the island. I complained and we were supposed to be refunded, but this never happened. Normally that would drop somewhere's service score down, so it speaks volumes for how good the rest of the team were.

I think she was just annoyed that we decided to go to the caves by ourselves, as she tried to tell us that this wasn't possible. We had a fantastic time exploring the system we found with a knowledgeable guide (basically ending up potholing!). In contrast, her excursion seemed rather overpriced. We saw a lot more of the island this way too, so I still think it was worth it.

The beaches were lovely, and for the more sporty-minded, the hotel has sea kayaks that you can use (we went out on the morning of my birthday- it was fantastic). Just the thing after all the Thai food I had stuffed! But be aware of the deceptively strong tides- my husband and I are both strong swimmers and experienced dealing with the sea, and they still nearly caught us unawares at one point.

I recommend Shanty Shanty just outside the old town for their icecream. There are plenty of great food places in nearby Saladin, we took the resort bus in and used public transport back- no problems. We also walked along the beach and ate in Cha Ba's restaurant a couple of times (you can't miss it- there are dinosaurs) as it was convenient, especially when we had been out most of the day. The Pad Thai was yummy, as was the fish and squid form the bbq. It was also a bit cheaper than the hotel.

The best dive shop in Koh Lanta Yai is Go Dive, we got some good kit (and advice) there. Sadly we couldn't fit in a further excursion, or would have gone with them (As you may be able to tell, we did not have a typical honeymoon- but you could be much more chilled if you wanted to be!)

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank V1ct0r1a_H
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The Crown Lanta was the highlight of our two week vacation. We spent 6 nights here and from the moment we were greeted everything was amazing. The location is great as well. It's far enough from Saladan where you are not in the center of the the hustle and close enough where you can get there in 3 min by Tuk Tuk or MoPed (we rented Mopeds right in the lobby and had a BLAST riding around Lanta).

The hotel is built into the landscape so you really feel like you're in an exotic location and not just a cookie cutter box hotel. The views are breathtaking and we were lucky enough to check into our ocean view room exactly at sunset just in time to catch the breathtaking rainbow sky and clear views all the way to Phi Phi.

What really set this hotel apart for me was the outstanding service. Everyone was so accommodating and really made you feel at home, you were never wanting for anything, great anticipation. I can't say enough about the lovely staff. They really made our stay perfect. By day 2 the breakfast staff already took note I drink A LOT of coffee at breakfast and kept my cup full, Real attention to detail is what made this place stand out.

My favorite was the AMAZING Reggae bar. So nice to have a relaxing spot in the hotel to watch the sunset and have a drink or light dinner. The bar is built into the cliffs so it is practically sitting in the water and is designed for you to stretch out, not sit. I almost lulled off in pure bliss on a few occasions. Thurs and Friday they had live music which I loved as well. The Cliff restaurant is also great and I suggest doing the Steak one night if you get a chance, one of the best "western" meals I had in Thailand.

During our stay we had an amazing cave adventure with Talabeng Kayaking. I really suggest checking them out (booked it in the lobby) Awesome day on a Longtail and Kayaks around talabeng and Ghost Island. This was a physically intense outing but really fun.

I can't say enough wonderful things about the property and the management. We really could not have picked a better hotel. If you're looking for a relaxing hotel with excellent hospitality, service, and f&b I would definitely say to check our Crown Lanta.

Room Tip: Ocean Villas have AMAZING views of Sunset.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Just spent 7 great nights at the Crown Lanta in a pool access room which was a good size with large patio and of course the pool!! As previous reviews state the resort is hilly with one of the restaurants called the Peak, we found the hill to the Peak very steep both up and down the other side to the main swimming pool but after 3 weeks in Thailand it proved a good work out!! The room was very comfy with all that is required, yes the TV is the old big square type but I was not here to watch TV.
The hotel grounds are kept in good order and both pools very clean with plenty of sunbeds and towels available, all staff we came across were very helpful and friendly.
Access to the beach is via the hotel next door of if you walk around the side of the Cliff restaurant a path takes you down to a 3 km long beach, excellent for walking, sunbathing or swimming. Bottom of the path is the Focus restaurant good food and good prices, we only ate breakfast in resort at the Peak restaurant which was ok.
The hotel has a shuttle bus into the local town 4 times a day, some reviews state it is not far to walk I beg to differ!! We used to take the shuttle into town at 19:30 for dinner and pay for a Tuk Tuk back at 100baht ( £2 ). The hotel as have mountain bikes to use for of charge, ideal for taking your laundry to be done!!!
The only down side for me was that the road leading to the Crown Lanta is used as a fly tipping site which is a big shame for such a great place.
So if you don`t mind a few hills some steep, a resort just out of town but by a great beach and old TV`s then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Pool access rooms are great but don`t get the sun on the patio`s
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple