“Friends, the second I arrived.”
Review of Chill Out House

Chill Out House
Ranked #34 of 151 Ko Lanta B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 November 2013

One of the most welcoming places I've stayed. The second you walk in, you feel like family. Super cool atmosphere, family run. I think, an experience that everyone will look back on and be reminded about how people are intrinsically good in the world.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Well as my title says my 3 days in Koh Lanta turned into 31 because of Chill Out House. I initially stumbled upon it with another fellow traveller that I had met on the bus that day. I was needing to use wifi (which is included at ChillOut) to contact another friend I was meeting up with. I met Jessie and Arm who were both immediately warm and welcoming to me. After spending the afternoon hanging out with the Chill Out crew I decided to book into ChillOut in Monkey Zone dorms for 3 nights....which turned to 7....which turned to 14....which turned to 22....which ended in 30 nights and 31 days.

Chillout was immediately my thai home away from Canada where I felt completely welcome and safe. As a female traveling alone for 3 months in thailand with no real agenda other than a flight home to Canada December 17, I was looking for a place to call home for a while and Chill Out was just that. I spent my mornings helping Jessie as she was pregnant at the time, and then found myself often down at funky fish for lunch on the beach, or up at the road at Mr Greens. Afternoons consisted of beach naps, followed up volleyball games and drinks at sunset with the ChillOut crew.

As many of the reviews have stated accommodation is basic but it is everything you need as a back packer wanting to just enjoy Thailand, not some hoity toity hotel living. What more could you possibly need than a bed, mozzy net, fan, and a bathroom with a hot shower? Not to mention at the cheapest rate on long beach!

Mon, who I later referred to just as Mom, has 2 huts set up with fresh fruit shakes and Thai Massage as well as laundry services for very good prices right across the path. There is a mini mart that I visited daily for any necessity items or groceries needed and everyone I met on Koh Lanta was extremely friendly and warm welcoming.

I also am now proudly one of many to display Arm's amazing tattoo artwork on my body! I was able to watch every step of the process including the making of the bamboo "tattoo gun". Extremely sanitary, and very relaxing because there is no noise from a gun. Enjoy listening to your own music while the incredible artist works his magic!

Thank you Jessie, Arm and Mama M for the most incredible part of my entire Thai adventure. I will most definitely return as soon as possible as this is now my thai home :)

Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank liv-glockner
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This place has great reviews regarding staff's hospitality and guests friendliness but say nothing of the below par accomodations.

I found staff to be nice but they did not over extend themselves on my behalf by any means. Also you could not differintiate between staff and long-term guests. I never met the owners so maybe they are as nice as previously reported.

The other guests seemed to stick with those they'd already established friendships with and did not invite newcomers into their singing-card games-circles. I want to chill out on a hammock and make friends as much as the next guy but I did not find this place welcoming or comfortable.

Granted it was very inexpensive, but I would much rather pay a little more to have four real walls. All "walls" are out of bamboo mats, the floors are always sandy planks of wood. The beds and linens may be clean but nothing is pretty.

Going into it I was well aware it was a "Tree House" I wasn't expecting anything fancy. But I was meaning to stay at a place right on the beach and somewhat comfortable and I didn't get either of those. Its not right on the beach, its a very short walk, but nonetheless not on the beach and I did not find the accomodations comfortable. You walk on sand most of the time, the bathrooms are communal, its a hassle to shower and get some good toilet time. I don't mean to be harsh with my review, but I think the ratings and reviews submitted by others over exagerate the few positives and provide an unrealistic and skewed perception of this place. Hence my very honest one.

If what you need is cheap because you are on a roughing it-back packing- adventure then this IS the place for you. If you want a little more to enjoy your stay on such a beautiful beach, go elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank NansaTrojan
ChillOutHouseLanta, Owner at Chill Out House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Gee, I kinda don't know where to start, haha.

I feel like you couldn't have read any of our own descriptions (ie, our website, facebook, hostelworld, trip advisor, etc) before arriving. And when you did come and see that we were actually a budget 'treehouse experience' (which is clearly not your style), I'm kinda curious why you chose to stay? I know you'd prebooked with us, but would recommend that you take a little more time to read the businesses description before you book- and in your case, maybe not pick the cheapest possible option if comfy beachfront is what you're actually looking for.

Not sure how you were mislead into thinking we are beachfront (as we've never claimed it) and we don't hide the fact that we primarily have shared bathrooms- it's what makes it possible for the beds to be as cheap as $3. We can't force all the kids to play nice on the playground, but I remember the time period that you were here and it was a great mesh of new and old guests. They were a great musical friendly bunch- but if you don't sit at the table and introduce yourself, they won't know you wanna join.
As for us owners, we are always around- checking in, cleaning dishes, helping to change rooms and all. We just don't wear special hats and will leave you be if you seem like the type that's wanting it.

Wish we could've helped make your experience here more fun- it's not for everyone. I hope you did find the beachfront and comfortable spot you were looking for and enjoyed the rest of your holiday :)

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We had just come from Tonsai and were missing the lazy beach vibe, when we came across Chill Out. Close to the beach. Nice, basic accommodations. Cold beer. Cool people. What else could you ask for? Will be recommending this to our friends and will definitely be back. Arm and Jessie are amazing hosts, you will be in good hands.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2013

You want to chill in a hammock. Talk all night and fell like You belong right away.. This is Your place......... Dont expect anyting to be on time.. If You want that this is not a place for You... But it is cheap like no other place. You need to like doogs to stay here as well.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Location: 60m from the beach between Main Street and Bungalows. On the Main Street exists a local version of 7/11 and Thai-restaurants. If you walk (10-20 min) then you can reach Bar, Night Market (open at daytime), original 7/11 and post office. Two other hostels exists in the same area.

As described in HW the transfer from Pier to Long Beach costs only 50THB.

Beach:
Long Beach is a sandy beach without rocks. The entry becomes deep very fast - no long walking in shallow water. If wind from west then exists waves otherwise good for swimming. Local attraction is the amazing sunset over the sea.

Hostel:
The hostel has Treehouse Style - everything wooden, sandy floor in common area, hammock, simple bed/rooms with large mosquito net. In other words simple with a lot character and atmosphere.

Nice and large common area - easy to meet other travelers,
free wifi and free water. After midnight common area is be closed to ensure a good sleep.

Bathroom O.K. Two Toilets (one asian, one western) with shower.

Staff/Owner: Very friendly; helpful; help to organize/book your travel; help to find acc if they are full. Improving the place (currently construction of a bar).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank mzvienna
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

My friend and I came to lanta and stayed somewhere really random - decided to move and came to hill out house. As soon as we walked in we knew we had picked the right place, friendly and chilled out vibe. The name says it all :)

Marilyn, Jessie and Arm were amazing they all brought something unique to the experience, there's no bulls**t and they just say it how it is which we loved. They make you feel at home from the start.

They have the perfect balance of cheap accommodation with all the necessities to make the stay comfortable (mosquito net, lock on door, clean sheets and a hot or cold shower depending on what you want)

They keep a tab for food a drinks that you have which is great so that you don't have to faff around with money and change all the time.

The communal area was the number one for us - a great place to meet people, play games and exchange stories! Chill out house attracts the right kind of like minded people who are easy going and don't mind the odd bug or 2 because we are essentially in a tree house in the jungle! It's awesome :)

The rooms have everything you need and a fan which is good, can get a bit warm in the room but to be honest you are spending minimal time there so it's no real issue.

We were so sad to leave, felt like we made some amazing friends and had the experience of a life time. Lanta itself was quite quiet when we went (sept) but we had our family of 12ish so didn't need anyone else!

We were there as they were renovating and making some new rooms which was so cool to see, the team have such a creative eye and clear view of the type of atmosphere they want to create.

Would go again and would recommend to any backpacker who wants to chill out in what felt like a home away from home and meet great people!!

• Stayed: September 2013