“A little slice of Paradise”
Review of Chill Out House

Chill Out House
Ranked #34 of 145 Ko Lanta B&B and Inns
Farnham, United Kingdom
“A little slice of Paradise”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

A fantastic hostel where you feel totally at home. The staff were incredible and even when i got sick everyone bent over backwards to make sure i was comfortable and had what i needed. Unbelievable kindness was shown to me and i was supposed to stay 3 nights ending up staying just over 2 weeks, i loved lanta and loved to chill out house, i hope to return.

Room Tip: the reggae dorm was my home for my time there, get a top bunk as it cooler and its lovely been woken...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Da Lat, Vietnam
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

What can I say, we stayed for 2 weeks, yes the rooms are basic but what do you need! Marilyn, Jessie, Arm, Jullieneare great. I had beans on toast with brown bread & toast which made my day every day! We stayed in Sunset, which has a lovely breeze coming through at night, we didn't use the fan. I'll definitely be back as I made some good friends & could have stayed longer, but I'll be back! If you want a great place in Thailand Koh Lanta is the place & Chill out is your home. You can get supplies at mini mart for mozzie stuff/beers/everything & Pom who is the "pad Thai guy" does an amazing pad Thai for 50 baht, also the burger guy does really lovely food too. Then there's the beach, funky fish, sunsets & more. Top tip get your mozzie net down & keep it down yes you have to duck in & out but better than being bitten!!!

Thanks guys I had the best time x

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for 4 nights in February, easy to find when you get off the boat,
I think it was 100 baht in the back of the truck, if the driver doesn’t know where it is ask for the funky fish place, it’s next to that.

The girl on reception was really friendly when checking us in, showed us around etc. and you could tell straight away that it was a chilled out place with nice friendly people from around the globe.

We stayed in bungalow 1 which was a fan room. The room had a porch and a hammock which was cool, inside was a mattress on the floor with a sheet and a mosquito net above the bed. I recommend you take a bed sheet from home or a duvet cover as we were bitten badly on the first day, this could have happened on the beach, at the bars etc. or maybe just had a mosquito in the net all night preying on our fresh white skin! Either way it was pretty bad which made us dread going back to the room, but like a said this can happen anywhere. Also I must point out that the next 3 nights we didn't get bitten so take loads of mosquito spray and check your net before bed etc., the fan helps to cool the room down. We used the public shower as ours had a toad in it that scared the misses, good shower, nice and cool.

the bar area is cool, nice cold beers etc. and Wi-Fi, music is good as well, you can just plug your iPod in, the French guy behind the bar was a good lad, good banter and tips for travelling around the island.

the best thing about this place is defo the location, its 1 min walk from a great beach, where at 630pm every day you see the best sunset ever, amazing, the beach has several bars etc. to eat and drink, all great, we mainly ate/drank at funky fish, lovely lit up at night, and beers for 60 baht...food great and cheap also. Recommend the chicken hot sizzler! You can rent a moped for 200 baht for the day, great to see the island, quiet roads and some great views in the hills, perfect for a ride about.

It’s a great place, really.....just tainted by the first nights exploits...not the fault of the chill out house, this place is great for the price, around a tenner a night, but would have been better with an air con room etc...Maybe I’m just soft.

Also check out the funky fish tree house bar, great live bands on Wednesdays and Sundays

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights last week and fell in love. Its such a cool laid back place perfect for backpackers. Marilyn and the rest of the family make you feel right at home, they booked us on the 4 islands tour which was amazing and helped me out when i had really bad sunburn. Marilyn's homemade Yoghurt is great too! They have books to load your kindle (thanks Julian) and will make you any cocktail you desire... Marilyn does a fantastic daiquiri! The place itself is not like anywhere we've ever stayed. We stayed in Sunset room which was open air with a fan so never too hot inside. The toilets and showers are shared which wasnt a problem for us. Plenty of cushions and hammocks to chill out on. The thing that makes it more perfect is that its literally on the beach! Wish we could have stayed longer, would come back again definitely!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Girona, Spain
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I really love these place, well I really loved koh lanta in general, is quiet diferent to the other islands, all the hippy gipsy vibe here makes you feel in paradise and that also happens at the chill out house.
These tree house style is quiet the place to stay in lanta If you are backpacking, maybe the beds are not the most confortable, maybe the toilets are not deluxe but after two hours there you don't even notice that, and the price is super cheap, so any complain at all jeje
The staff is super nice, all the family and also the helpers are really friendly, they really make you feel welcome and give you good advice about things to do, restaurants..
Also the location is good as you are 2 min walking from long beach, around the hostel is easy to find nice food to eat (try the fruit shakes from the ladys just in front, or the yummy pad thai from the man in front of the super market) and nice bars and live music at nights.
So I just have good words for these awesome place and the awesome people I meet there, I really miss my days being Monkey 4!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I didn't stay here but I was here basically every day during my stay on Koh Lanta. Fantastic people and they make the best pancakes ever!!

Coffee is 15 baht (cheapest anywhere) and they have a small thai food vendor just across from them that is delicious.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

When we arrived (pre booked ) and shown our bungalow I was so disappointed . I knew it was tree house style accommodation but I think you shouldn't pre book and see it before you decide. It just wasn't suitable for us. Stayed in beach hut style lots before and thought it would be ok . Really open to creatures of all shapes and sizes (fine for some) but sheets stained (badly) on a mattress on the floor of a hut that needed repairing badly . Should be better even if it's cheap..The staff are really friendly though and I would recommend eating , drinking and generally chilling here, just not sleeping. So sorry because I really wanted to like it here. We found somewhere up the road for £3 more a night and checked out.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple