I stayed at the chill out house for 3 days last week. I read a lot of good reviews and thought it'd be a great place to spend a week or two. Hmmm I was wrong.
Its a nice gimic , run down bungalows on the beach , very Rastafarian AND chilled out with Bob Marley playing in the background. I really didn't like the place but I think this one is more a matter of preference because I can see that it would (and did) attract a certain type of person.
- Very close to the beach (within 2 minutes walk)
- Very cheap compared to other back packers around the area.
- If your looking for a place with no real running water , run down but has that ''survivor'' aspect to it and want have something different to the modern backpacker hostel , this is for you.
- Stoners just smoking in the ''common area's'' .
- It seemed to be more suited to long term residents that have have the following things in common
1. smoking weed every day
2. Americans and Canadians with opinion and views on everything (these people are running the hostel) and 3. long term residents that have been in thailand for over 2 months and seem to be professionals on everything thai , from the culture to the pronouncation of words.
Hahah i really didn't like this hostel much at all . But like I say , I think it all depends on what your looking for while in Koh lanta.
Id suggest ''Non La Mer'' hostel. I stayed there for 10 days and it was very clean and 2 minutes distance from the beach.
Hope this helps.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Chill Out House is built like a driftwood treehouse, creating a rustic but clean and cozy environment. Decorated beautifully with nature, this backpackers' paradise is 80 metres strolling distance from the stunning Long Beach on Koh Lanta. Surrounded by lush nature, great restaurants, massage, and other bungalows, it's the perfect place to unwind, meet new friends and have a great time on a budget. Come join our little treehouse community in your home away from home! At Chill Out House we have five basic treehouse style bedrooms from 200baht per night, two bamboo huts at 300baht, 2 small dormitories at 140baht per bed. Alot of our guests favorite feature, is our big common area and it's social evening atmophere it creates. We have 'family dinners' and a cosy little bar with plenty of games, musical instruments, book swap, movie nights, and free WiFi. So, even if you don’t stay, stop in to enjoy a beer with us and say hello! ... more less