“A nice hotel ruined by incompetent staff!!!!”

Baan Pakgasri Hideaway
Ranked #39 of 145 Ko Lanta B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A nice hotel ruined by incompetent staff!!!!”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The hotel is located in a nice quiet area of the island. Half-way down near to Long Beach. The hotel is beautiful and the accomodation is comfortable.
However, we did have a bad experience - booked a motorbike out and the man at reception demanded my passport as a deposit. When we came to check-out in the morning (we had booked an early ferry to Krabi) we found the whole of reception was closed and there was NOBODY from the hotel staff on-site at all, this was at around 8:00am. I needed to get my passport back. Our taxi arrived to pick us up to go to the ferry but I still had not been able to get my passport back.....the taxi driver then started getting annoyed as he had other people to collect from different hotels. Eventually a woman who worked there turned up on a motorbike to open up. I tried to explain the situation to her and I was shocked that she didn't know where my passport was or even had the number of the man who usually sat at reception. Our booked taxi then left without us.....and 10 minutes later the woman showed up with my passport. They then made us pay for another taxi to get to the ferry port and were unwilling to pay anything towards this extra expense we incurred. To add to the experience....at no point did we even get an apology.
A nice hotel ruined by incompetent staff!!!!

Lastly, there was a TV in the room.....but it did not work at all. What is the point in having it if it does not work???

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Czech first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I love my 5 night stay here! I actually booked Baan Pakgasri six months before my trip, and because of that I managed to secure one of the closest standard huts to the beach. It was soooo amazing to go to sleep to the sound of the waves and nothing else!! The room was lovely; clean on arrival and cleaned every day. Bed was comfy and air con worked well. Also really liked the small terrace area outside - perfect for reading and breakfast.

There were a few power cuts while I was there, but I believe they were island/Klong Nin wide so couldn't be helped! Most were only seconds long and when one did last longer, the staff came round with candles for everyone which was appreciated. Staff were mixed - the guy who check me in was funny and friendly but I did go to reception another time to ask about the closest ATM machine and the possibility of a late check out and the guy then wasn't so friendly... I think it might have been more of a language barrier problem! It's worth emailing them in advance of arriving - I was able to arrange a free pick up from Saladan pier on my arrival which was very useful!

Overall I'd really recommend Baan Pakgasri - lovely rooms in an amazing location for a bargain price.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Niva, Denmark
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I'll start with the good stuff , beach front rooms have the best location and lovely views of the beach and sunset.
That being said , there is unfortunately not much to recommend , staff not very accommodating, they seems almost indifferent, and their English skills are just not good enough, the list is long of the employees' lack of commitment .
We arrived from another hotel on Koh Lanta and had called to inquire if they could pick us up , wich they could not .
When we arrived, our room was not ready and we could not really get an answer when it was ready .
We had ordered extra bed for our 6 year old daughter and she where able to sleep in it , (sometimes children , as you know are able to sleep on a sack of potatoes) but it would not go with an adult , the bed was of the foldable kind , with a thin mattress where you can feel the springs .
We had breakfast included in the price and eat on our patio , we were 3 and had 2 chairs, we asked for an extra chair and was told that we could use the stool in the room, it just did not go well together with the low table on the terrace.
Ohh ! Another good thing is that you can use the pool at hotel Miami further along the beach, the staff is helpful, the food in their restaurant is tasty and reasonably priced , we hung out there every day and ate most of our food there. (That saved our stay)
On this beach there are Muslim minarets, and they can be heard several time a day.
There is not much to see, and no shopping in addition to the usual kiosks.
I can not imagine coming back to this place and can not recommend it to you.

Room Tip: Beach front !!, Beach front !!, if you can't get beach front don't bother.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Martin n
Brasschaat, Belgium
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This location is Paradise to me !!! On the beach with only the sea as a neighbour is magnificent!! The great bungalows are very luxourious but the view is so breathtaking. The kind reception makes you feel at home right away and you can ask anything, they help you immediately. In the neighbourhood a very nice litte beach restaurant named Ricky's completed our stay. We sure will go back !!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VBM116
Reviewed 3 September 2013

If you like the idea of bungalow type hotel this is the perfect choice. All bungalows are on the beach( some with ocean view and other with partial view ). Our room was small but very clean, rooms were cleaned every day. Breakfast was the same every morning: eggs prepared in various ways, fresh juice and butter with jam or honey. The beach was clean but for spetacular beaches you have many opportunities as Diamond Cliff Beach wich was very beautiful and other beaches along the island if you are willing to walk or drive.We stay here in november and the island was very quiet but with many good restaurants. We eat in the afternoon next the hotel, was a street terrace, food was very cheap and very very good. For us as a couple, everything was perfect and the location is extraordinary.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dadi11
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 1 August 2013

This is not a real hotel, just bungalows almost on the beach. The rooms are small, however they serve their purpose. Bathroom is ok, however a strange place to put the shower, as it makes the room flooded with water. When it rained a lot (which it did one night), it rained through the ceiling. Be aware that it is easy to look through the windows, even though it doesn´t look that way!

Breakfast was nice and served on the terrace. The biggest issue we had, is the language barrier, and that they closed the reception from 18 to 8. If you needed anything then, you did not get it. As with i.e. toilet paper.

The staff was helpful, and even though the overpriced their services, we got what we wanted. Do not expect a lot more than you pay for, but this is probably the most wonderful place to stay in top season.

Room Tip: A must is beach front villa
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ncbj
East London, South Africa
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We were a little disappointed in the quality of the sand and also rather dirty beaches but Baan Pakgrisi Hideaway was lovely.
It had a jaccusi bath overlooking the ocean and all in all the weather was great and roads quiet.

Room Tip: Choose one overlooking the sea as they have the large bathtub.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple