“Great resort, great staff, below avg day trip ”

Layana Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 22 Spas & Wellness in Ko Lanta
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

This is a great hotel with excellent staff. We tried the dinner on the last night and though possibly not exactly authentic it was superb and I would highly recommend it.

The lost star is for the dreadful day trip. We got charged a higher price than other people on the trip as we found out and the snorkelling was okay but the food that was served was very average and the toilet on the boat was terrible with no loo paper. If it was half the price it might have been okay.

In general this was the unfriendliest island on Thailand and the food was mostly not good, Malay rather than Thai. We missed the authentic fragrant thai food and gentle humble hospitality of the Thai people. This island had a higher Malay population and I felt judged and uncomfortable in the older town. Strange place though the scenery was beautiful

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed for 4 days with a friend and for the most part the experience was great with only a few bumps along the way.

The pool was where we had to swim, I prefer the ocean but the waves there were crazy rough. The pool has a very rough texture on the tile which was odd and made laying about on the sides a little difficult. It also had a yellow film on the edges inside the pool so it's due for a cleaning. The pool boys were fantastic and provided most of our interaction with the staff.

The staff seemed very inclined to help and attend to guests that were regulars or more "resort looking" (I have a good deal of tattoos). At breakfast more than once I was ignored when requesting coffee etc and at one point my vegetarian omelet came back with meat and she said she would get another made and just... Never came back. It was quite odd. The restaurant staff in general seemed unhappy and unpleasant towards my friend and I.

The rooms were lovely and details were thorough. The beds are rock hard but that seems to be the running theme in Asia. Sucks to get such an amazing massage at their spa (completely satisfied with the two services I received there) and then come back to mess it all up by sleeping on a slab of wood.

Needless to say, it's a great deal in the off-season just maybe a little more attention paid to those who paid as much as the regulars and might not return because of being ignored...

2  Thank Amanda W
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Excellent stay. The suites are big and beautiful , the restaurant serves delicious food at a reasonable price. Spa also very good for massages. We had a great time. The beach is clean, white, the sea to die for... the people working there all nice. Perfect vacation.

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Very good chef who can make very dilicious dinner and very good service , we will visit again next year...

1  Thank Kanokwan K
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Where do I start... Once you arrive at krabi airport you are greeted with a luxurious private car that takes you for a 50 min drive to the pier. From there you are greeted with a private speed boat for a 20 min ride that takes you to the beech of The Layana. You are greeted by the staff with huge smiles and a beautiful flower garlands and taken to the bar for a cold drink and flannel. Then you get taken to your room. We were in block 8. Very close to the pool and restaurant. The rooms are clean and spacious. And house keeping come twice a day to sort your rooms. We only had lunch and dinner twice here throughout our stay as we wanted to venture out and eat the local food. Plus it was half the price of the hotel. This is the perfect place if you want some where calm and peaceful. And most important for us. Kid free! Lol

Very good points. Staff are very friendly. Helpful and happy. The food was lovely (especially the prawn fingers) the sundown cruise was great. I'd also recommend hiring a scooter for a few days. It's quite cheap and you can do this through the hotel. Get them to ask if you can have it for cheaper coz of hiring it for more than one day. We got discount. We enjoyed our time here so much we didn't want to leave.