“Great place that cares for stray/sick Cats & Dogs”

Lanta Animal Welfare
Ranked #1 of 50 things to do in Ko Lanta
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Lanta Animal Welfare (LAW) is a non-profit organization based on Ko Lanta. LAW's objective is to rehabilitate suffering and sick animals on the island through sterilisation and care. We are open to visitors everyday from 9am to 5pm and our volunteer staff will happily provide a guided tour of the center every hour, on the hour, between 10am and 4pm. We have lots of friendly dogs who would love a long walk and cats who would like a cuddle! (Please note there is generally no dogwalking between 11-3 as it gets too hot for them!). The dogs spend their days in grassy outdoor pens, so like everywhere in Thailand, it's best to wear insect/mosquito repellant when visiting. Our major sponsor is Time For Lime bar, restaurant and cooking school, without their valuable support we would not be here.
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Visit here if you have time , excellent work by all staff who work for free and make a donation to live on site , so all donations by visitors are appreciated

Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

I had mixed feelings before visiting because I can get quite upset seeing animals suffer and do many shelters try to work your emotions getting you to donate.
Not this place, I got a nice tour, played with the kitties and dogs and had a chance to walk one of the dogs which was really fun as I missed mine at home.

I did not see the video( which might be a little sad), but felt that all the volunteers genuinely cared. It is not a fancy place but very well taken care of. Dogs live in groups of 5/6 and have plenty of room to room around so no sad faces in cages.

Do yourself a favor and go visit them, you'll feel great knowing there are truly good people in the world. Go in the beginning of your trip as they often need people to volunteer to fly the dogs to their new adoptive homes around the world. Odds are your country is on the list( this is the cheapest way for them to fly the dogs, otherwise it would get really expensive and lower the adoption rate quite a bit)It requires absolutely nothing from you but some paperwork. They need about 7 days to get the paperwork and even if you are flying out of a different airport in Thailand, they'll arrange to meet you there

Oh, and because I was so inspired and wanted to contribute more, I took the Time for Lime cooking course. Great fun, good food and all proceeds go to Lanta Animal Welfare

3  Thank Debbie H
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My partner and I visited here before heading off to their cooking school at Time for Lime. Such an amazing visit and I so wish we'd longer than an hour to play with the cats and dogs. I fell in love with one poor little cat who had been mistreated and have decided to adopt her. It is truly inspiring to see the work that is done for the animals by the volunteers. If you have some time, go and visit and If you can, take one of the lovely animals home. They all deserve a loving home. Keep up the good work LAW!

1  Thank anneliese_jones
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We went for a tour of the welfare centre one afternoon and it was by far the best thing we did on Koh Lanta. We learned a lot about the brilliant work the volunteers here do - they deal with some appalling cases of animal cruelty but also work with local schools and run outreach veterinary and sterilisation clinics on other islands to control animal populations. We didn't walk a dog as it was very hot but sat and played with the cats at the front of the centre for an hour which we really enjoyed. Lanta animal welfare relies on donations, sponsorship and on the proceeds from the Time for Lime cookery school (we also went there for a lesson - highly recommended!!) so do give them your support.

2  Thank JoGo87
Reviewed 12 May 2014

OK...let me say that I was profoundly touched by this Animal Welfare. Go and spent an hour walking a dog..and after that, you could donate a little money too..

2  Thank Ulises M