“It's like the Himalayas - beautiful view, but an extremely chilly atmosphere”
Review of Sincere Guesthouse

Sincere Guesthouse
Ranked #28 of 146 Ko Lanta B&B and Inns
Delhi
“It's like the Himalayas - beautiful view, but an extremely chilly atmosphere”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

What could have been one of the best places we stayed during our entire trip, it was completely ruined by the staff.

We were surprised by the amount of cordiality (or the lack of it) shown to us right from the start. We'd heard of the legendary Thai hospitality and cheerful faces, but Sincere Guest House is an exception nonpareil.

Every other place we stayed, the hosts made us feel at home and even sat with us to help us with our itineraries and suggest a few things that one must do. Not here. Any question asked was met with a stare and a finger pointing towards a sheaf of pamphlets, which were supposed to answer our questions. Any question we asked regarding the property over e-mail (before we landed there) was met with a link to their website, which was in itself in language so ambiguous that it raised more questions than answered.

If that wasn't enough, when we went to our rooms, we were hit by another surprise - no water in the fridge! I was immediately reminded of 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner' - Water, water, every where, Nor any drop to drink.

When asked, they said they don't provide complimentary water and we had to help ourselves to water (overpriced, by the way) from the fridge in the lobby (a finger pointed us to the fridge, too). With no breakfast included, the price they charge per room is definitely on the higher side.

All said and done, we did enjoy sitting and chatting on the deck late into the evenings. They have some very comfortable deck furniture and hammocks which help in unwinding after a long day.

Go to Sincere Guest House only if you have no other option.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the road.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank itchyfeetshutterhug

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Thai first
kuala lumpur
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Had great encounter with King, but Chompoo was quite mean and short with us. One of my students used their hotpot to make some water warm early before we dived, as no place was open. He used his own coffee, and cup. Just heated their water. When we got back, she tore into me for him doing that.

Then, the day i left, one of the apparently did the same thing. After we left, she sent me some really rude emails, which kind of soured me on this accomodation. It was a good value for the money, but based on her customer service (lack of) skills, i wouldn't recommend it to my friends or anyone. There are much cheaper, friendlier places to stay in Saladan.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I spent all the night awake thanks to the loud music of the restaurant and the bed bugs (THEY BITE). I spoke with the woman of the reception for the bed bugs and she was so rude telling to me that maybe I bring the bed bugs with my clothes. INCREDIBLE.
i dont recomend to anybody this place it a shame that they have that receptionist .

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bertinosborn
UK
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Being so close to the main harbour for Koh Lanta we thought we might have made a mistake with this choice!

Fortunately for us we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms are well appointed for the price and the beds comfortable. There is a little noise from neighbouring properties but not much unless you are a light sleeper.

Staff very helpful once they get to know you a little. Thing they get so use to people just trying their luck as passers by. Loads of advice and the food also very good.

You are asked to pay in full when you arrive which is a little against my way of doing business but on reflection I think this is just to check that people do pay! That said as soon as we had we then ran a tab for trips and food until we left so very amenable overall.

Worth a thought if you don't want a resort hotel and want to dive, this sounds like a good place to base yourself and then dive off and around the island.

• Stayed January 2012
Reviewed 23 January 2012

If you are after a place off the beaten track but near all the great places to eat, then try this gorgeous wooden guesthouse. It's totally surrounded by water, spotlessly clean, very chilled, good food, brilliant coffee and great hosts. It's a very short tuk tuk ride to the sea and you have all the choice of Saladan.

• Stayed January 2012
Helsinki
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stayedt here for 3 nights, though I paid for 5. I just could not handle the noise any more. I had a room close to the restaurant, which means incessant elevator music starting around 7 a.m. and ending round 10.30 p.m.The people staying up late at the restaurant and music from nearby bars was another thing keeping one awake. Not much rest and relaxation here...If I were looking for dorm-room -like "community feeling", I would not stay in a hotel.
I am a diver and have the unfortunate oldfashioned view that a hotel should first and foremost offer a peaceful place to sleep. Furtnermore, my room was not cleaned even once during my stay.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, book first only one night, rooms near the water are less noisy, But do n...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank boxfishlover
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 10 January 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Sincere in December 2011. We loved it. It is new, so it was a little difficult for our taxi driver to find, especially since we arrived late at night.
It is a very nice guesthouse and it is very clean. The staff speaks great english. Their restaurant is great, although the service was a little slow, and it's overlooking the water. It is RIGHT by the ferry pier which is great too.
It was great to be able to rent motorbikes at the hotel for only $8US for 24 hours!
Our room was great and clean, and stayed VERY cool at night. We didnt have a problem with bugs at all.
The only complaint is that we arrived very late after a long day traveling and it was karaoke night which was the same girl singing about 50 songs in a row, right outside our room, until 2am when we were trying to sleep.

There is a new hotel they are building next door that looks like it is going to be SPECTACULAR, FYI. But I have no idea what it will be called.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple