“No maintenance, a lack of investments”
Review of Costa Lanta

Costa Lanta
Ranked #26 of 85 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Reviewed 18 August 2009

Was such a so terrible experience, i got the details and pictures of this resort though magazines and look so spectacular and interesting concept

I love those nice simple and functional hotels and resorts or those minimalist design.

What a pity in this resort, first of all, i contacted by the phone the resort 3 times prior arrival to know if we can had a extra bed in the room, no one was able to speak a single world of english, just the basic one...

Everything was buil don the more cheapest way and the material after a few years are in a poor condition, while there is no maintenance.

The food is great, they really have a good chef

The garden is lovely but full of mosquitoes, terrible

That was a nice place the first year, no days forget it for sure

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank borisonly

Reviewed 24 July 2009

it was my first to ever attempt an island which is not as logistically inclined as compared to many commercial islands in the likes of Phuket / Koh Samui. but let me say this is the best kept secret in Thailand! i'm intrigued with the culture of the people in this island. the experience with getting there was amazing. 2 flights a road ride and 2 ferry rides to get me to this beautiful! one which is not as " man made" as the rest of it and that the beauty of it!i'm sure this place has suffered a great deal during the Tsunami. we were greeted by the manager " Ben Ju Wan" she's an amazing woman with a great team of pple who she continues to train during the non peak season. the place compared to the rest of the resort is always kept in order. i wouldn't use the word clean if that means dead leaves lying on everywhere! to me, it's nature and that didn't bother me at all! the locals are rather shy. it's true english is not their best language but i didn't have a problem conversing with them even with my min. Thai. i'm more than happy for the fact that, they will take time to understand ur needs and if they don't get you, they will have u to speak to the manager. so in terms of that.. i like the fact that this architecturally sound resort comprises of all elements in the right spot . u got the most amazing beach which the team cleans up each morning , fresh air.. def. the blazing sun and luscious greens! all in one! the concept of concrete blocks around it provides a rustic feel to one! the food there is amazing. i enjoyed every breakfast moments! the banana pancakes are amazing.. i've been in many infinity pools and rain showers in huge resorts but these features are used appropriately ! u will know why when u get there. i'm in transportation and my gf is in architecture.. so for us .. this is the most ideal place. for me to be able to have a chance to be on a car ferry ride and knowing despite the " outback" just in time service exist in this island. and recycled timbre with a concept of rustic but yet modern style.. no wonder it's featured in one of the famous archi / resort magazines! i went back to bkk and met a friend whose parents are from lanta. this comes from a local... lanta is prob. one of the best island which i can still call it home! if u like the outback and outdoor as we did alot of dirt track biking to the main road where the main shops are.. this is the right place to be. and right after that a spa massage by the beach organized by Ben Ju Wan.. will u complain even if the internet service via satellite keeps breaking off? i might some amazing locals there and every afternoon when we rode out, we are always greeted with a smile and a wave. so most of the time, we supported the locals with our lunches and lil snacks we had to buy. will u complain if u see mossies and dragonflies in the room? once i'm done with my day and taking a hot shower with the sound of the waves and birds are chirping.. i rest my case! this place is a place for a retreat u can hardly find these days! a showcase to the great architects and logisticians.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2009

My partner & I stayed at Costa Lanta for a week following 3 weeks of trekking & kayaking in Thailand. The place is absolutely beautiful & the staff were superb. There was nothing that was too much trouble. Infortunately for the resort but fortunately for us, there were only about 2 other rooms occupied. It was like staying at our own resort.

The resort was at the quiet end away from the hordes of families & noise. Very few people even walked by our resort, which suited us fine. We basically had the place to ourselves. The architecture was out of this world. The pool was amazing.

Also the restaurant was fabulous. The included breakfast was lovely & we had lunch there several times & it was always delicious. They also went out of their way to satisy our dietary reuqirements. Language was rarely a problem & if it was, they would bring someone else over to help us out.

Our only complaint was that we asked for a courtesy upgrade. Considering the resort was mostly empty, and considering that we had paid a premium due to booking so far in advance, we thought it would have been easy for them to satisy our request. It wouldn't have cost them anything extra.

• Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed 12 February 2009

Booked the hotel by walking in, though was given high rack rate and no discount. Was told that hotel was quite busy. Ended up getting them to phone Bangkok office who eventually gave a 'book 7 pay 5' offer which really helped! So we accepted and checked in. Then found that there was only one other room in the hotel occupied, so not EXACTLY busy!
The hotel itself is lovely, modern, stark, almost clinical but still feels cutting edge. Rooms that have two complete walls that open are a nice touch. Yes there are a couple of bits that look like they need replacing, eg worn cushions at bar, but on the whole still looks great.
I know there are management comments about improving English but I was there last week and the staff in the restaurant still struggle terribly to make themselves understood and are not quick at understanding you. I know this is slightly rude, of course I should speak Thai but I don't, and most other hotels have very good English speaking Thai staff (Lanta Sands in fact had Thais that spoke far better English than I did!!).
All the food in the hotel was lovely, well presented and fresh.... however coffee at breakfast consists of a tiny cup, consequently I felt quite a pain having to order four refills every morning. Also some funny rigid rules on breakfast, so when ordering the continental breakfast was told we could only have one egg not two - not on our room rate. Our room rate being 6000B I would have expected to be able to have two eggs really.... but the one we had was lovely.
While there we did hear complaints about lack of a TV in the room, but to be honest it wasn't missed as it was much more of a relaxing getaway.
Main problem was that it was so quiet that every now and then we would find one of the boys that works at the bar asleep on the admittedly comfortable bar loungers.
Would still highly recommend this resort, but it does need some attention:
1. Improve English language skills of restaurant staff (reception fine)
2. More flexibility at breakfast (two eggs is ok, and larger coffee cups)
3. Replace a few cushions and fill in a few cracks
4. Encourage staff to engage with customers more - while sat on the loungers I would have bought many more drinks if someone had of either approached me or at least looked over at me

Having said all this, I loved staying here, I would definately return and staying here did actually make me feel relaxed and special.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank london_travel_guru
Reviewed 9 January 2009

I stayed for four nights at Costa Lanta and absolutely enjoyed it. The well designed pavillons are very comfortable, the resort has an overall relaxed atmosphere, the staff is kind and taking care of its guests. The food served in the restaurant is excellent, many guests staying at other Ko Lanta resorts come over to dine. Costa Lanta is a perfect place for residing in a calm environment and to relax well. The mosquitos from the river that goes through the resort can be ennerving, but mosquito tents are prepared for each night. Friends of mine stayed with their two kids and they also had a great time. For a true Ko Lanta holiday, this place is definitely the best pick.

Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank Juke68
Reviewed 2 January 2009

My husband, two children and I happened upon Costa Lanta when our reservation with another hotel did not meet our expectations. In addition to the dramatic architecture and unique layout, Kelly, the General Manager, was exceptional from the moment we arrived. Although they do not have adjoining rooms (we took 2 rooms side by side with shared porch) and do not usually cater to families I can't say enough about the wonderful way we were treated and made to feel comfortable during our stay. Our children adored the beautiful pool and my husband and I, both originally from New York City and consider ourselves foodies, found the food to be the best Thai food we had during our 8-day vacation in Thailand (and the Lemongrass martinis are sublime!).
Kelly personally made sure that our needs were always met, whether suggesting we try a new dish from the menu we had not tried or lining up a day of fun via tuk tuk to explore the island. We couldn't have had a nicer stay.
Thank you Kelly and the staff of Costa Lanta,
The Simpson family

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank familyof4Denver_CO
Reviewed 25 December 2008

Note: Yes this is a long review. I like doing this as I am a foodie and fun-hog. I am in no way affiliated with Costa Lanta, Ko Lanta or any travel organization. I just drink a lot of coffee!

After 11 days at Costa Lanta we can define it as nothing less than total comfort and delight. Originally we planned only 4 days but the protests in Bangkok stopped all flights and left us stranded at Costa Lanta. Darn the luck!

The facilities of Costa Lanta appeal to the eyes, sense of space, and the desire to be someplace apart from the thatched hut or megaplex resorts. Square angles, edgeless pool, high ceilings, indirect lights and subtle colors insure you feel you are someplace architecturally special. Each villa is simple in design yet lacks in nothing. The sculpted concrete bathroom and raised sleeping area all felt natural. The sleeping area, consumed by a duvet covered king sized bed, had two full walls that opened out to the sea via large, thick wooden doors. The air-conditioning made for cool, dry sleeping. Geckos do run freely so don’t be alarmed if you see one on the wall here and there.

The staff of Costa Lanta was omnipresent, quick to assist and brimmed with genuine sweetness. Admittedly they forgot some requests on occasion but they were small things such as extra water to be left in the room or small meal order details. These were small fumbles and well recovered. English was spoken by most staff but a few needed extra patience which we were happy to give and added to the closeness. The manager, Kelly, was a delight to work with and made every effort that our needs were met.

The food of Costa Lanta proved a special treat and at no point were we disappointed by the offerings. At times we were the only people at the resort due to the protests in Bangkok yet there were always at least three different lunch specials in addition to the regular menu. Offerings at Costa Lanta ranged from close to home Thai traditional meals to artistic creations that dipped into local seasonings and culture. One outstanding appetizer that really can’t be missed is the Sea bass wrapped in long green leaves. The leaves and fish are marinated in a sweet yet snappy reduction. Although it says nowhere that the leaves are to be removed from the fish, they were so tasty I used them as a way to hold the fish and then ate the whole thing. Crunchy, sweet, umami, and a hint of salt. Happy day. Other delights were a simple “jungle stew” of broth, peas, Thai eggplant and peppers that offered a smoky flavor but provided a haven from some of the richer, more calorie dense foods we had enjoyed all over Thailand. Breakfasts were simple and typically included fruit. Western bacon and eggs can be had and so can Thai chicken soup which is traditional for Thailand. If you are a Yogurt and muesli lover the Health Breakfast will suit your needs. If you like thick yogurt as I do, make sure to ask that no milk be added. On the slightly negative side, it was a bit of a chore to imbue the full importance of how a real espresso should be made. Unfortunately, once they were perfected by the staff we had to pay for them and they were inordinately expensive when multiplied out over many days.

Fun can be had by all if you packed your spirit of adventure. Kelly the manager booked us a day snorkel trip that was amazing. We saw fish of every color and shape and met great people on the boat with us, Swedes of course. Good thing one of us happened to speak Swedish. The food was great and the organization was pretty good too. We recommend that you are comfortable with swimming or use a life vest. One should also be warned that snorkeling is merely a gateway drug to scuba diving. We snorkeled one day then signed up for scuba lessons the next since we had some extra time (thanks protesters). We also took cooking lessons at Time for Lime at the South end of the beach. The lessons really rounded out our Ko Lanta experience and added to understanding of Thai life. But it’s not a party until someone gets hurt right? Muay Thai boxing is a great way to add a bit of edge to your stay. We sat ringside and watched these martial arts artists work their craft, trading punches, kicks and ceremony all the while smiling giant grins. We’re not ones for violence but this transcended terror and fear and went straight to fun and athleticism. Ask the staff to set you up with tickets and transport to the arena. It’s also a good excuse to test your liver since Chang beer is no more than about $1 (U.S.).

In the end, Costa Lanta, Kelly the manager, and all the staff made our extended visit memorable and worthy of a follow.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple