“a treat to the senses”

Pimalai Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 85 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Reviewed 15 August 2011

My partner and I chose to come to Koh Lanta purely to stay at Pimalai and we loved every minuite of it. Any one who says the location is difficult must be crazy as for us one of the the many appeals of this resort was to be removed from the tourist mecca of Thailand. The transfers from Phi Phi island and departure to Krabi airport was super easy even in the low season, we booked it all with the hotel and it was seamless and very comfortable.
Pimalai resort really is a special place and a treat to all the senses. From the stunning tropical gardens, beauftiful beach and elevated views, this is a real place of serenity.

All the staff were very attentive, friendly and helpful in everyway, even the general manager Franck makes an effott to mingle and make guests feel welcome.
We normally steer clear of dissapointing resort food and opt for local options nearby but after having the impressive breakfasts here we had to give the menu a go and it was definitley worth it. We thought the food was well priced for its high quality and if we ever felt like a cheapy local meal we always had the option to walk down the beach and eat a plethora of thai food.
Favourite place in the resort: The elevated infinity pool at sunset with a cocktail in hand. Out of this world!
We treated ourselves to a few massages and loved every minuite. The setting in the natural landscape was just beautiful and the service was excellent. They may not be the cheapest in massage but definately a must do treat.
This place is a 10/10 and really topped off our last 4 days in Thailand.
If you are looking for fantastic quality and royal treatment look no further, we would have no hesitation in coming again.

Room Tip: ask for a view
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erintilly

Reviewed 14 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Pimalai for 6 nights in July. We found it to be very beautiful the staff & hotel manager Franck to be very helpful. The first couple of days it was perfect weather but on a few of the days the weather was very wet as its their low season. The food at the resort was amazing & the spa was world class. The rooms did not have ipod docks tho which we were a bit disappointed in as they had free wifi but we did not take our ipad or computer on the trip with us. We would like to go back & stay in a villa on the hill. We stayed at a beach side villa down on the flat.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights based on a friend's recommendation plus the great Tripadvisor reviews and we were definitely not disappoointed. This property is AMAZING and so worth the small inconvenience of getting here. Everything about our visit was terrific - Just give yourself a couple hours from the Krabi airport. Arranging transportation through the hotel was comfortable, easy and the way to go. Right now it's the Pimalai's 10th anniversary and we booked a package that included a daily breakfast buffet and 60 min. massage each day for all 3 of us - what a treat.

We splurged on a two bedroom pool villa for 3 of us and it was absolutely fantastic (rooms 604-605), and well worth the cost. This villa was so large and spacious that we felt it could have easily accommodated two families. You enter through your own private courtyard and discover large patios with lots of seating and lounging areas plus your own private infinity pool as a centerpiece. There are 3 separate rooms each having its own full bathroom/shower: on one side is a separate living area with flatscreen TV, a kitchen and full bathroom with a fridge stocked with beverages and free bottled water, and on the other side are two oversized rooms, each having a king bed, large bathroom, closet and dressing area, TV and sitting areas. The beds were extremely comfortable and the rooms were huge and well appointed. The view was breathtaking as well.

The property is made up of rooms starting at the beach level and then spreading up a hill. There are two separate lobby areas, the lower one accommodating the beach rooms and the upper one accommodating the hillside rooms. Although we normally prefer being close to the beach, we were glad to be located on the hillside as the views were spectacular, the upper lobby was closer to our room and that housed the main restaurants and breakfast spot, plus we didn't mind (and even enjoyed) the walk down to the lower level pool and beach. The hotel provides golf cart transport for those who don't want the exercise or are physically challenged.

There are two absolutely gorgeous infinity pools (we preferred the lower one closer to the beach); the restaurants were all excellent, serving traditional Thai as well as Italian and other international fare; the breakfast buffet (included with our room) deserves an A+ for selection, variety and taste; the beach is beautiful with its own restaurant and bar and happy hour every evening at sunset; we loved sitting out at the upper lobby to enjoy cocktails and watch the sunset every day; the housekeeping is amazing as our room was made up and turned every day without ever having to ask for service; the staff is so friendly and top notch; the spa is beautiful and we had some great massages; the crescent beach was nice and provided water sports. One day we took a walk along the beach and came across about 20 wild monkeys which was a fantastic sight to see. There's really nothing bad I can say about the Pimilai and we would definitely stay here again if we ever make it back to Thailand. We never felt any need to leave the property, nor was there anything on Koh Lanta that sparked enough interest for us. We were so torn about staying here or at a property on Koh Samui but are glad we chose the Pimilai.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mintchip17
Reviewed 20 July 2011

You will NOT regret the effort to yet to the beautiful Pimalai Resort. I have stayed in dozens of different resorts in Thailand and frankly, the Pimalai has it all. It was just heaven, I wish there was a direct flight to Koh Lanta!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Honeymoon in September 2009, 14 nights there. Would definitely go back to have those fabulous Thai courses served at the beach restaurant !!!! Five stra experience in the resort, very disappointed with the surroundings. Koh Lanta is not such and extraordinary island, but you can take a boat to the famous nearby Phi Phi island (the Beach movie set). very very disappointed on my way to the resort. nothing worth seeing, except some rubber tree plantations. However the resort is fantastic on the inside, large tropical gardens, plenty of monkeys and iguanas too, beware! would go back for a shorter period, maximum 5 days. Beach cocktails, a plus! Worth taking an elephant trip also. And their beach barbecue is fantastic. Enjoy as much seafood as you can while there as it is its paradise. And their SPA!!! rated as one of the best in the world. Overall: exotic getaway with lots of things to...taste!! Flavoury, spicy Thailand!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2011

stayed at this resort for my honeymoon back in 07.
from the reviews i read so far, it still maintain its high standards till today.
from the day i arrive at the airport till the day i left..i was very impressed with the service provided by the resort,they really take care of all our needs,
rooms ,staff ,spa were all fantastic
highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We stayed here for 9 nights with our 25 year old daughter in a two bedroom Pavillion Suite. We had a fabulous time and I was very sad to leave. Transfers, etc were excellent, we arrived by speedboat at the jetty in front of the hotel and left via minibus and boat from the old town, it just depends on the tides, I think. I was very disappointed when we arrived to discover that our rooms did not look out over the sea, but in the end, I wasn't bothered by this at all. The Pavillion Suites on the beach lack privacy in many ways, and our rooms were close to everything, pool, beach, restaurants, and were very luxurious, with so much room for the three of us, and it was ideal for my daughter to have her own almost apartment like space. I thought the pool villas looked beautiful, but they were a bit far from the sea for my liking. However, the pool up on the hillside was simply to die for, with spectaular views. It tended to have a quieter atmosphere than the pool in the lower part of the resort too.
I found pool service at both pools to be excellent. There was never a problem getting served and the iced water was always topped up almost as soon as you had finished your glass. It was always easy to get a sunbed, which was miraculous considering that this was the school holidays and the hotel was quite busy.
Now for the food! Breakfasts were absolutely fine. Plenty of choice for everyone, I especially loved the honey runing off the honeycomb, I'd never seen that before. We mostly ate at the beach front restaurant, which we all liked. (This may have been somewhat influenced by Happy Hour, but hey). There was a good variety of choices, and I really loved the fish and chips. I also liked the fact that you could go and choose a freshly caught fish from their selection to have cooked as you wished. The cocktails were great.
We tried the Italian Buffet Night, but this was terribly overpriced for what it was. Such a shame. However, it was so hot that night that I don't think anyone could have eaten their money's worth!
We tried Same Same But Different, after reading the reviews on here, but we hated it. Thought that the food (and service) were the worst that we had all holiday. We ate at the restaurant adjacent to the 'Why Not?' bar on three nights, and also really enjoyed the atmosphere in that particular bar, with the band that sang the widest range of covers that I've ever heard. They also made very good mojitos there too!
I liked Pimalai's location in that regard, just a few minutes stroll up the beach and you could get out for the evening, which is what we prefer, rather than spending all our time in the hotel.
We did the sunset cruise with the hotel and it was such an excellent trip. The boat was supremely comfortable with gorgeous deckchairs and the wine and food just kept on coming, to such an extent that it has to be said that I found disembarking the boat and making my way back along the jetty somewhat tricky......
We also did a taxi tour of the island which I thought was excellent value for the three of us, a really comfortable car, fluent English speaking driver, and we saw pretty much the most of what the island had to offer. I especially loved the Old Town, which was gorgeous.
What else to say abou this fabulous resort? Water and wi fi are free and in fact, there was so much water given to us in our room that we couldn't keep up! I thought the service was impeccable and the beach was very clean (unlike a couple of others on the island that we saw) and the sea warm and very safe for nervous swimmers like me. One final mention has to go to the flora and fauna - we were thoroughly entertained by the frogs and their tadpoles in the two minature pools outside our room, which also attracted dragonflies and butterflies in a range of colours. We also spotted a Monitor Lizard and loads of other smaller lizards and geckos. We love all that stuff.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this wonderful place. Any queries please message me.

• Stayed: April 2011