“Wonderful view, superb staff”

Pimalai Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 85 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Staying in room 228,brilliant view of sea, sitting on balcony among the trees and wildlife. Staff always helpful especially the breakfast staff. Room cleaning excellent. Food very high quality but a shame restaurants add on 17 percent to your bill. The surrounding gardens are stunning and very well cared for. Transfer from Krabi by speedboat a brilliant start to our holiday especially after a long 10 hour flight. Security at resort excellent, you feel cared about and protected, Great not to have street vendors on the beach.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Sara C
franck d, General Manager at Pimalai Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Sawasdee Khun Sara - Thank you for the nice review ; hope you have had a nice trip back home !
and not to hard to get back to work!. Sunny Rgds. Franck

Write a ReviewReviews (2,220)

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We spent 2 weeks at Pimalai for our honeymoon. It is truly paradise- the setting is absolutely beautiful. We stayed in a standard room for the first week and were upgraded for the second week.

Service is excellent- we were greeted at the airport with cool towels and ice cold water, and from that moment on everything was taken care of. Staff are friendly and we felt valued guests at every point.
The hotel is large and hills are steep- we are pretty fit, but the humidity meant that we felt this more than we would normally. However, golf buggies are always available to ferry you around.

Food was fantastic- breakfast was varied and very tasty- although I would recommend bringing your own tea bags! We ate food in the evenings which was exceptional- the a la carte restaurant was particularly good. It is expensive- but worth it at least once. Most nights,we ate at 'Why Not' bar (turn right and walk down the beach) or 'Same Same but Different' (turn left and walk down the beach)- both tasty and much cheaper.

Rooms were gorgeous- lots of wildlife, which we loved as felt truly part of the jungle. Lizards and frogs everywhere, monkeys, butterflies etc. The pools were both spectacular- the top infinity pool is simply breathtaking.

Our only issue with the hotel was all the extra charges- we knew from tripadvisor that food and snacks were expensive, but I would rather tip individuals that provide excellent service rather than have a mandatory charge added to everything. Furthermore, I was very disappointed to find that you have to pay to witness the evening entertainment- at approx £20 per person! I would expect in a hotel to be allowed to visit the bar and be allowed to enjoy whatever music was on offer at no extra cost!

We had a perfect honeymoon in this paradise hotel and would absolutely recommend it. Food mad drink is expensive- but you expect that in a hotel of this calibre. But the many hidden charges can leave a bitter taste.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Vikki V
Reviewed 10 August 2014

What a wonderful resort. We stayed in a ground floor room. Th upper swimming pool is fantastic. The food is great. They have a Thai food buffet once a week at Spice N Rice restaurant. It was so good that the family spent 2.5 hours eating and listening to local music. Try all the Thai salads, then move your way to each course. It was just delicious. The Sven Seas restaurant is also good, but make sure you make reservations in the morning ensure you get a table. We went on the snorkeling trip and had a wonderful time. The boat and staff was wonderful. We got to swim with the fish and my 8 year old love it. I highly recommend this resort. Three things I look for in resort, excellent service, cleanliness and great food and the Pimalai has all these attributes.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
franck d, General Manager at Pimalai Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2014

Thank you for the great review BackC08 - you are not that far so hopefully we will see you bad soon. Sunny rgds from Lanta. Franck.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed at Pimalai in the green season. I would highly recommend this. The prices are low because of a little rain! We enjoyed the little rain we had and we had a wonderful beach and two glorious swimming pools virtually to ourselves. The staff are amazing. Nothing was too much for them. I stubbed my toe on a rock in the sea and without asking, a waiter carried me on his back to a waiting buggy which took me back to my villa. Within ten minutes a doctor and nurse arrived to put on a splint. When I arrived back at Krabi, a wheel chair was waiting. I didn't need it and certainly didn't ask for it, but it was there. First class. Can't recommend it highly enough. From the moment we were whisked away from the mainland in their launch to being returned by the same mode of transport, we felt we'd entered the world of the rich and famous. Thank you Frank for a fantastic holiday.

Room Tip: Our villa was close to the beach, great for access to the beach bars.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CedHull_UK
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I live in hotels all over the world for much of the year, each year, this place is paradise!

Given the chance and the budget I would hang my hat up and live here forever.
I cannot talk highly enough about it. Beautiful beach, really... really nice staff, great facilities, absolute peace (I was there in low season), food was fantastic, room was great. If you are looking for somewhere to recuperate and enjoy life, go here!
It's a bit pricey for Thailand but normal city rates for the 'developed' world. I've lost count of the hundreds of hotels I've stayed in and none of them I've missed so much since checking out of Pimilai.

Seriously this is one of the top couple of hotels I've ever been.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alex M
franck d, General Manager at Pimalai Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Alex M - thks for the great review; also thks for being here during the low season; it is indeed a great time to travel ! Thks for praising the crew ; they received always very positive feedback and they will be pleased to read your review. Look forward having u back here in the near future. Sunny rgds from Lanta. Franck.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My sister and I booked the Pimalai Resort last minute low season without even seeing a review. It is an absolutely fantastic resort with a conscience for the environment which is very important to me, especially with the waste these resorts can leave on the beautiful surroundings. From the moment we were welcomed with an iced drink and cool scented towels we were in heaven. As we had requested two large beds and they were unable to accommodate us in the standard bungalows, they instead upgraded us to the beachfront :) Everything was beautiful, staff extremely attentive and friendly and the little details did not go unnoticed. Some of the things I was especially impressed with to be eco conscious included - no plastic water bottles, no plastic bags in small trash bins, use of small glass jars to serve condiments, nice bath toiletries in refillable pump ceramics, water ladle to wash feet from beach sand, friendly signs in rooms encouraging guests how they can help conserve, stone outdoor cool showers, the saline (instead of chlorine) pool!....and so much more I know I'm forgetting....thank you, Pimalai, for being such a positive example- what every resort should strive for.
I have so many wonderful things to say about this resort but to be perfectly honest I don't want the place to get over run :D
All I can say is I will be back with my husband to show him what he's been missing. Thank you for a most wonderful 4 days!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Niobe B

Dear Niobe_B from Sydney....thks for the great review and for highlighting in particular all the efforts we do to be a truly green resort....we are not there yet...and we have still a long way to go, but at least it is nice to hear that we are on the right tracks. Glad you enjoyed being with us especially in the low season and hopefully see you back here in the near future. Sunny rgds from Lanta. Franck

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Our six night stay at the Pimalai was our best hotel experience ever. All the staff were excellent and friendly and the hotel restaurants were spot on. Even though resorts are usually not our favourite the Pimalai did not have the resort feel. Nothing to complaint about.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Magnus S
franck d, General Manager at Pimalai Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear Snellingen - Great to read; thks for the nice review and choosing to stay with us. Sunny rgds from Lanta. Franck