“amazing day at Mai Kaew cave, koh Lanta” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 44 things to do in Ko Lanta
montreal
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“amazing day at Mai Kaew cave, koh Lanta”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

we decided to go visit the cave to see a bit of the city other than just diving and enjoying the main drag, so we got a tuk-tuk lift who somehow didn't where it was, which was pretty funny to us but not her cause we agreed on a price..anyway we finally got near the cave, because of the road she "dump" us before and we had to walk the rest to find the place. Something we didn't know is you just don't walk in, so we waited for a group to start and depart, it was worthed, it's an amazing place to visit, the guide had a good sense of humour and it so awesome inside. It's quiet dark but with the torch they provide you're fine. it was a really cool afternoon well spent and worth the trip

Visited January 2014

• Slovak first
  • Thai first
New York City
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Challenging and extremely worthwhile experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We were able to find the cave no problem by driving our car. The cave is well marked with sign on the main road.

I suggest you do not bring young children in to the cave. The rocks are extremely slippery and the cave was very dark. The ladders are constructed of bamboo and were wet and slippery. Young children will have an extremely difficult time getting through this cave.

I also suggest you do not bring a backpack since there are many tight tunnels in the cave you will have to squeeze through. You will have to crawl on your belly through mud so expect to get your clothes very dirty.

We saw several huge cave spiders as large as a male human hand. The end portion of the cave was full of bats. This said none of the spiders nor bats bothered us. It was scary but they did not bother us.

The walk to and from the cave took approximately 35 minutes through some impressive jungle trails.

Overall I do not think I will return to this cave but it was one of the most unique abs rewarding things I have ever done. Bring good hiking shoes. Expect to get muddy. Bring plenty of water as you will sweat a lot.

Have fun, be careful and enjoy.

New York City
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Challenging and fantastic experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Have fun, be safe and enjoy.

Ko Lanta, Thailand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A Real Thrill and Authentic Adventure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We rode on our scooter to this cave tour, pretty easy to find if you look out for signs and if you have a general idea of where to find it. It was priced right and the hike was great, and challenging but not so much that I couldn't do it in flip flops, but maybe that's me? For the relatively fit and active type, this is an amazing and unique experience. I don't recommend wearing anything light colored as you often touching areas that are covered in red clay. We had our own guide, who was very attentive and knowledgeable about the cave and the surroundings, spoke limited English, but enough to understand him. There is a section where you need to crawl on hands and knees (fun!), a couple spiders (I don't like, but they weren't scary at all because they don't move), rickety beaming and bridges, and a bat cave, it was just a phenomenal experience and I would do it again. The walk out of the cave down through the rubber tree plantation was interesting as well.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank LindsayLoveless
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Perfect adventure outing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Are you the type of person who enjoys a little physical activity to make for a productive day? This is perfect! The walk was lovely, the cave was impressive and not manipulated with cheesy lights and stairs. It continues more and more around every corner and our guide was knowledgeable and a good laugh! Bring water and a camera!

1 Thank Eadela3