“Eaten alive by bugs” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 203 Speciality Lodging in Ko Lanta
London, United Kingdom
“Eaten alive by bugs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

In theory this hostel is good - there's a good chill out area with good movies but I stayed here two nights and was bitten very badly by something in the beds.

I don't think they're bed bugs but something small that can't be seen by the eye.

On the first night, I got moved to a different bed in a different room, but the bites continued to happen. I complained to reception and they told me I'd get moved to an air con room (from fan room). I packed my bag as they instructed me to do only to come down to reception and be told that they don't have any air com beds after all - very frustrating.

They change my sheets and second night in, I'm already covered in loads more bites within hour in. There are two other girls in my room (room 1) who are also covered in bites (worse than I have ever seen on someone). As I can't sleep again and fed up of being bitten all over my body - I move to the chill out area to sleep. I marginally get some sleep here.

In the morning, my neck and face are covered and swollen. I ask for refund for my final 2 days stay for me and my friend and I'm told that our beds are non refund. Of course I argue the case, I've not slept in 2 days and I'm getting bitten but they refuse. The receptionist is very rude and tells me to phone the tourist police if I don't like it.

This has completely ruined my stay in Ko Lanta and of course I would never go back to this place. The fact the rooms are so expensive too makes it that much more worse.

Not everyone in this hostel got bitten of course so there are good reviews on here. The only thing I would suggest to anyone is book by the day and if you find yourself in my situation or worse, you can at least move without losing any money.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Good:
-GREAT showers! HOT and wonderful water pressure.
-Really good hang-out spot...cushions provided, beer available, big flat-screen TV.
-Quiet dorm room with bathroom just for that particular dorm, which was nice.
-Clean and well-maintained rooms
-10 minute walk from the beach.

Unfortunate:
-One of the women at the front desk was comically rude and abrasive...quite unfortunate.
-Charge for towels.
-Breakfast not bad, but hard to eat for more than a day (cereal, milk, icky bread, tea, coffee)
-The metal bunk beds were quite creaky, and you can feel every little movement of your bunk mate.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any rooms that do NOT use the metal bunk beds - the ones in my dorm room were creak...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Loved it here! The staff and owner were the best, so friendly always having chats with us and socializing. The rooms are big and clean, with places to store luggage which is very rare. The shower areas are really nicely decorated, water pressure on the shower was so good - something I'd been craving my whole trip. They let you use the chill out area (bean bags, huge TV) as long as you want, when we wanted to relax, along with a few other customers we got a take out from next door (amazing curries) and watched one of the films on the owners hard drive. Location wasn't the best but we hired mopeds (from the hostel) and getting anywhere was no bother.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

Moved here after 3 nights at Chillout House (which was lovely and friendly also!) and the a/c was definitely needed! All the staff were very accommodating and helpful, not least when I hit my head when drunk and started bleeding out of my ear!
Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Terrigal, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

great vibes here. girls who run it are so friendly, such a nice welcome when you've been travelling for a while to get to Koh Lanta. We would have stayed much longer but the weather has forced us to relocate. I always thought people who complain about bed hardness were being prissy but these beds truly are rock solid but not a trip ruiner.
Pricey in comparison to other hostels in the area but the common area is worth it :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Great hostel, very friendly staff - the girls are amazing! Very easy and short way to the beach. I would definitly recommend this hostel! Also the common areas are very comfy and everything is absolutely clean.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay in non la mer. It is well located, a 10 minute walk from the beach. There are many restaurants close by as well as ATMs and bars.
The hostel was very clean and comfortable. There is a huge selection of films available to watch in the common area for anyone in need if a break from the sun!!

• Stayed October 2013