“OMG! What a disappointment!”

Atlanta Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #225 of 350 Restaurants in Ko Lanta
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood, Thai
Description: Live Lobstar on Klongkong beach Koh Lanta Catch your own fish !! Choose your own Lobsters!! "Fresh So Good"
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I can only assume that the chef wasn't there!
Having read rave reviews of this place, we booked a taxi to take us from Long Beach down to the restaurant. The taxi driver hadn't heard of it & after many phone calls & requests & a 20 minute taxi journey, we ended up walking down Khlong Khong beach to find it. We were delighted when we came across it but our delight was short lived.
There was no fresh fish on show & the waiter informed us they only had barracuda. As this was such a well reviewed place I opted to try the raw prawn dish my friend had suggested to me, gong chiu nam pla. It was very tasty, especially the sauce. From there everything went down hill. Mike's starter, Prawn Bisque, took a further 15 minutes to arrive and was a barely flavoured, cornstarch thickened gloop, that certainly did not deserve the name bisque! Another wait & Mike's Sweet & Sour chicken arrived. Not sweet or sour or in any way tasty. We both agreed we could do a better job ourselves in less time. Mike found the waiter and said that his dish was awful, to which the waiter replied "We can't make yours spicy. We'll make the Pad Thai spicy for you". I waited & waited for my Pad Thai & after 15 minutes noticed the waitress running back towards the kitchen with a shopping bag. A further 10 minutes & my main finally arrived. It was ok, but far from tasty. A liberal sprinkling of chilli & garlic powders helped. Again, I could do better myself.
The 2 staff were not in evidence throughout the meal & I strongly suspect that the waiter, who reappeared in his vest, was cooking.
We were thoroughly disappointed that we had made the effort to travel to @Lanta, when we could have eaten at 15 better places near our accommodation. My tip: If the chef isn't there, don't serve food :-/

1  Thank SunGods

Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Walking down Klong Khong beach we finally decided on @ Lanta. I ordered a Panang curry which seemed to lack the curry. The beer arrived warm with a glass of ice. The music was a random playlist which even included a fifteen minute standup piece. The WC had no wash basin. And unfortunately there was no fresh fish on the day we went. One big positive (other than the view) was that they kindly made an excellent plate of vegetables for our 8 month old son, which thoughtfully came out before our dishes.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

This restaurant is a perfefect place for relaxing and for eating food thai. The People are the best in ko lanta!!!

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I quickly became a regular at this place. It was charming with a laid back atmosphere, and super nice staff. The BBQ is a winner! Highly recommended!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

i have lived on Koh Lanta for over 4 years, and have always wondered why nobody thought of what this place is doing- FRESH, LIVE "catch your own" seafood... prepared as YOU like it by a supremely skilled chef; all in a gorgeous setting right in the middle of Klong Khong Beach-
also delicious and authentic Thai food...
EVERYTHING i have tried so far has been impeccable, on par with the best meals i have ever had!!! and i cannot overstate the importance of fresh, live seafood
(it is hard to get good food at any price on the beaches here-and this place is NOT expensive, especially considering the absolute freshness & quality of ingredients and preparation)
unfortunately, most beach restaurants here trot out the same old fish for 4 or 5 days in a row, from freezer to ice display- then back to freezer
(needless to say, by 2nd day it is neither fresh nor appetizing or tasty!)
that is why i had given up eating fish at most beach restaurants here- until this place opened!!!
Klong Khong beach is known for its funky Thai feel and laidback atmosphere-
as well as sunsets that are even more beautiful than other beaches here because of the rocks/reefs/tidepools (yes, i LOVE this neighborhood- i LIVE here!)
this is a long-overdue addition to the many choices here on our island-
and frankly, i am hard-pressed to think of another place where i would want to eat, when not eating at my neighborhood curry shop (ALL in Thai, not listed here in tripadvisor)
also currently featuring LIVE acoustic music pre-sunset, and said to be planning weekly parties and late-night music- this place has quickly become one of my fave places here on our island

1  Thank jenifer d