We chose Layana after reading all the reviews on the the Trip Advisor. We wanted to go back to Amari Vogue, but decided to try something different. Since we arrived in the low season, it took 2 hours by car and 2 ferries from Krabi Airport to reach the resort. I would like to point out that there is nothing specifically wrong with Layana Resort, and perhaps our expectations were a bit too high. We travel a lot, both business and pleasure, and since this wasn't our first trip to Thailand, we kind of knew what to expect.
First, all the good things worth mentioning:
- We loved their adult only policy, the resort was peaceful and quite.
- Breakfast was very good, always fresh and a good mix of Thai and Continental food.
- The food at the restaurant was reasonably priced and always good.
- Our Garden room was a very good size, and had a very nice bathroom with a sunken bath and a separate shower. Free internet was great as well.
- As always in Thailand, the staff were always smiling and always willing to help. The pool boys always seemed to work very hard to keep everyone happy.
- The Spa was amazing - priced very similar to European ones, Friday special where partner goes for free was great.
- BBQ night and Thai night were fab.
A few improvement suggestions:
- All though the staff is very friendly, the service was a hit and miss at times. I must point out that this was not deliberate. There is so much staff there and everyone seems to be doing everything, which makes it seem very unorganized. Therefore, a quality of your cocktails for example would vary a LOT depending on who made it. Your wine would arrive after you finished your main meal along with your bread and the small appetizer. The drinks could take 20 min sometimes, even when not busy. Our food got mixed up several times, which ended up causing a few issues, since my partner loves spicy food and I don't.
- The same menu for lunch and dinner gets tiring after a while.
- The Garden rooms are a bit out of date and could use a touch of re-decorating.
- The pool is on the small size.
- The Island Discovery trip we did, was nice, but not worth the money, (2600 for both of us) We saw the old town, new town center and the gypsy village. That was it.
- Organizing a giant Tiger Prawn' evening, and running out of tiger prawns 20 min into the service, again seemed very unorganized and a bit unprofessional. Especially when the waitresses were taking orders not even realizing they had run out in the first place.
- Esthetically speaking, the gardens are beautiful, but Layana could use a few improvements on the outside. Howerver, I do understand that there are refubrishment plans for this summer.
I am very sorry to write this, and I wish we felt differently, but to us that special something was just missing here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Layana Resort & Spa is nestled on Koh Lanta Yai Island in Mu Koh Lanta National Park. The park is a marine archipelago, home to verdant tropical rainforests and undersea kingdoms of colourful coral rich in natural marine diversity. The resort enjoys a spectacular beachfront location on a 3-kilometer long white sand beach, situated about 2 hours south of Krabi International Airport. Environmentally-conscious design throughout the property results in a simple and elegant Thai atmosphere; alfresco architecture combining with contemporary design to provide an open, cool and natural feel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Southall Travel, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, LateRooms, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Layana Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Layana Hotel Ko Lanta
- Layana Ko Lanta