“Less is real class”

Ranked #1 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Melbourne, Australia
“Less is real class”
Reviewed 25 December 2013

We are not resort people and came to Thailand for a resort holiday with a little trepidation.
Our Thai experiences were of back- packing 40 years ago.
Layana just exceeded our expectations in every way. This is not glitzy granite bathrooms and gold taps but understated but exceptional service from wonderful staff, led by a highly visible manager,who greeted us and saw us off.
Fantastic food and a warm, friendly but very,very classy atmosphere.
We will DEFINITELY return.
Roger and Sue. Melbourne

Room Tip: The rooms don't have views and are all the same
2 Thank Roger M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Great Hotel, small amount of rooms/guests, excellent facilities friendly staff.

The attention to detail is very high here, and the staff are great, in particular Wit went above and beyond the call of duty.

I booked diving via the Dive Shop (Phoenix Diving have the concession) and the PADI training in the swimming pool.

The breakfasts in the hotel were superb, really really good. Typical 5Star, but done very well. I.e. they had health juice shots such as Ginger and Tamarind. The only thing I gave the swerve to was the butter which was Thai style (ie very sweet). I also had to leave the cinnamon buns, but for the reason that they were too more-ish! I liked that breakfast was open for 6:30am. Due to adjustments for time differences and a few anxiety stresses I woke up early every day, so went for a barefoot jog along the beautiful beach in the company of fishermen bringing their shore-nets in and 2/3 friendly beach dogs. Then had a great breakfast looking over pristine surrounds. The coffee was great, this being something that is important to us!

We stayed in a Garden room, it was very very nice, with massive bed and large bathroom and balcony.

My wife and I only ate in the Hotel once in the evening, and we found the food patchy, the fish grill was very bland, but the starters and deserts were well prepared and presented.

For lunches we ate in the beach restaurants, walk left for 300m to the "Pejinda" restaurant and you get a great meal for peanuts.

Asides from that I didn't rate the elephant trek (felt a bit iffy, don't want to say "cruel" but not enjoyable). We rated a motor scooter from a shop in the resort complex down the beach to the right, we paid 200 baht per day, this being around £4. No real paperwork, you just leave passport as insurance for the bike lender.

The best Thai restaurant we found was Krua Kritsana - check reviews on T/A. Red Snapper was also very good if you want a European meal.

The Layana was a great introduction to Thailand. Next time we would mix Hotels with beach bunglows and stretch out the holiday for 3-4 weeks.

Room Tip: Go for an upstairs Garden room and you get a better view from the glass window in the bathroom, and...
4 Thank cmdenny
Toronto
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 3 nights near the end of a 30 day trip and it was the highlight of our trip. This is a true 5 star property in every way.

The service is exceptional. Being only a 50 room property, you never feel crowded and always at home. It is the small things they and the attention to detail which make this resort truly special and truly intimate. Whether is be a pillow menu on your bed, sincere smiles or your towels laid out for you when you visit the pool.

Pool- amazing views and very intimate. Sunset is spectacular.
Restaurant- great selection of cuisine. 5 star quality.
Beach- not busy at all, feels private.
Rooms- very comfortable oversized king sized beds, sunken soaker and spacious balcony.

I have been fortunate to stay at many 5 star hotels across North America and Asia. This has been the best all round in my opinion.

Only two small things which I feel the property can do to improve....

1. Upgrade the shower heads. Very basic and similar to a typical, standard hotel.
2. Have universal pricing at the two bars. I can get a cocktail for 100 baht cheaper at the sand bar...50m away from the main bar.

Stay here...you will not regret it.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank burley32
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 14 December 2013

This is probably the 4th Time I am here to Layana, and every time my wife and I would just consider this as the only resort to stay at when we come to Koh Lanta.
The staff is amazingly friendly.
It has just been renovated not too long ago, they had pick us up from the airport, their boat to ferry us to the resort is nice, comfortable and the only way to go.
The Spa, wow, the spa is good.

The people here make a special effort to make you feel at home.

Thanks for making it such a relaxing holiday for my wife and I.
We will be back again!

The dive operator, Phoenix Divers Koh Lanta, amazing people as well.

3 Thank Bryan L
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We are at Layana Resort for two weeks and we are writing this review whilst we are here. We have travelled and stayed at many five plus star resorts all over Asia and the Caribbean and this resort ranks high in our opinion. The General Manger and the Operations Manger make a special effort to welcome every guest personally and they are also there to bid you goodbye when you leave. The Speedboat ride straight to the shores of their resort is nothing but magical. The staff are always accommodating pleasant and go out of their way to make you welcome at all times. The resort accommodation is excellent, the beach and the pool are perfect in every aspect. I have no reservations in recommending this resort to everyone. Thank you to all the staff and management for your unwavering attempt to make your guests stay at the resort a memorable one.
Anne & Jit Baran

3 Thank Jit B
edmonton
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Today 12 December 2013
My husband and I are presently staying at this resort. I can describe as amazing . We have been thoroughly spoilt. The staff are amazing. The. Infinity pool is too die for. We are staying another week and only wish we could stay longer. Nothing is too much for the staff. The rooms are the best, for me the big plus is the bottled water they give you all of the time.
There are two things I would like the general manager to think about for the future .
1 all inclusive
2 non alcoholic beverages to be included in the rates

Congratulations to all who work there. The Barans

Room Tip: If you want peace and quite please do come
4 Thank annieb58
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The selling point of this small resort is exceptional service. Rooms are great too. Restaurant is probably one of the best I've tried in Thai resorts. Problem with Thailand, rather than this property is ridiculously priced wines, I would avoid ordering wine in that country alltogether.
The only personal drawback I can think about is the area, there are more interesting planes down south imho, but no such hotels there. Rawi Warin looks cheap and tacky by comparison with Layana.

1 Thank Victoruskin