I can't believe it's taken me a while to write this review on Layana.
February was our 2nd trip to the Layana at exactly the same time of the year (last 2 weeks in Feb) and the place has just got better and better if that's possible.
This time we stayed 11 nights in a Beach Suite - well worth it if you can get one as there are only 3 and 3 nights in a Ocean Suite - pictures are posted. Whilst the upstairs outdoor area of the Ocean suite was lovely with it's day bed, bar and desk it's design downstairs is not as lovely as the Beach suite so I would recommend that one most.
The whole hotel is beautifully presented, the gardens lush, always being tended too by friendly gardeners. The restaurant is extremely good and whilst we love Layana for the fact that you can walk down the beach to numerous other bars and restaurants, the Layana restaurant is worth staying in for when you do. The beach BBQ is a fabulous evening with a firedancer (much better than others that we saw on the island) and incredible food all cooked to order and as much as you can eat of it too.
Service is impecable, friendly and unobtrusive. The addition of the beach butler buttons is a great one so you can get service when you want and not when you don't. The guys cannot do enough to help both around the pool and on the beach (not to mention of course in the restaurant/bar).
Housekeeping was also even better this time, our rooms were kept in pristine conditiona and the outdoor bathrooms glorious.
My husband tried Thai boxing with Mon whilst he was there and ended up having a lesson every day for the time we were there. The owners rearanged Mon's shifts so that he could do this for him. Just one of the ways in which the owner, Bob and Margie are completely and successfully hands on. They are about most of the time and ask for your views and suggestions and clearly take them on board. If there ever open another hotel anywhere in the world we would be there in a flash, they care not only about the Layana but Lanta itself and the effect that some of the tourism is having on it.
* Hire a moped and explore the island, it's easy, cheap and a great way to get to some more beaches (the south end of the island is very unspoilt)
* Try the Frog wine bar and food in Saladan - good value wine
* Have a drink or food at Relax bay and watch the sunset.
* Go down to Klong Nin Beach and eat wiht the backpackers
* Have a massage with the Layana girls on the beach (or in the spa but the beach is v cheap) rather than walking along, they are wonderful, smiling and relaxing.
Layana is deservedly the best hotel on Lanta (the Pimalai will claim to be so but it's a completely different type of hotel and miles away from anywhere). This is due to it's staff (most were well known faces from the year before), it's owners, it's great beach location and the lovely rooms and bathrooms. It is going to be super super hard to stay anywhere else in Thailand when we return in March next year as we have been completely spoilt.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Layana Resort & Spa is nestled on Koh Lanta Yai Island in Mu Koh Lanta National Park. The park is a marine archipelago, home to verdant tropical rainforests and undersea kingdoms of colourful coral rich in natural marine diversity. The resort enjoys a spectacular beachfront location on a 3-kilometer long white sand beach, situated about 2 hours south of Krabi International Airport. Environmentally-conscious design throughout the property results in a simple and elegant Thai atmosphere; alfresco architecture combining with contemporary design to provide an open, cool and natural feel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Destinology, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., LateRooms and Cancelon so you can book your Layana Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Layana Hotel Ko Lanta
- Layana Ko Lanta