“Mosquitoes!”

Royal Lanta Resort and Spa
Ranked #35 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We stayed 3 nights in Royal and we were in the Grand deluxe room. We also have a fairly spacious room with high ceiling. The equipments were pretty old and the wardrobe were so old that there were worms eating the wood. There were also holes on the doors that could allowed mosquitoes and lizards to get in. To have mosquitoes net were very helpful in that case. But we also realised that there were many lizards droplets fell down on our bed. After all, high ceiling with many woods weren't so good after all. But apart from all those, We were pretty happy with the spacious part.

The beach was not the greatest but we had a good time watching sunset by the beach.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BethKiss2012
222moo3, Manager at Royal Lanta Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

Thank you for your kind review and for uploading your personal holiday photos of the resort that you have shared in Trip Advisor with others. I will review your feedback with our management team so that we can improve the areas you found unsatisfactory.

Reviewed 11 May 2013

This hotel is set in a convenient location close to both ports. It is on the beachfront however the beach is covered in rubbish which spoils the setting. According to the locals this has come from Phi Phi island.
The staff here were very helpfull and upgraded us to a private bungalow on arrival. The room was very spacious but needed a bit of updating.
If you stay here I would recommend going to eat at Time for Lime restuarant.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
222moo3, Manager at Royal Lanta Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2013

Thank you so much for your review and I am very pleased that you liked our location on one of the main beaches of Koh Lanta, which still remains a great place to get away from it all.

Everything, including many great restaurant and bars and Saladan town itself, are all within a small walking distance for you to enjoy. Our country has a fantastic food culture. There are many options for all taste along the beach of Klong Dao including Time for Lime restaurant and down town of Saladan nearby

We always offer great deals during our Green Season (May to October) including room upgrade if possible.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

I stayed here in April 2013 with my husband and 3 children and my parents. We had a family room with a bunkbed (so one child slept with us in the enormous bed). It was a really good size, very pleasant and clean. My parents had a standard room with King Bed, and they were delighted with it. It represents incredible value for money as it is a really nice resort, with two beautiful swimming pools and well located, close to shops and the pier. It has a restaurant on the beach (not well frequented at night.. maybe because everyone goes out to eat), and a coffee shop which if perfect for taking children to for snacks and lunches - although the staff there were a little grumpy. However staff at reception were excellent and very helpful. You can hire tuktuks very easily by just walking towards the road.
My favourite time was sitting on the loungers by the beachfront with a drink, watching the children playing in the sand and waiting for the sunset.

Room Tip: Family rooms were great.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
222moo3, Manager at Royal Lanta Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

Thank you very much for your kind review your stay with us last month.

Our rooms are spacious and furnished with a real teak wood furniture, our bunk bed for 2 children in the family room you stayed are very popular. Our two pools; one is by the beach and another one is at the back of the resort which is more quiet to relax. We use 10 Mbps leased line for our Wifi connection in Sea Cow coffee shop covering public area including the beachfront where you were watching the children playing in the sand and waiting for sun set.

I am so pleased that you found that we are an incredible value for money, we always offer great deals during our Green Season (May to October). Our convenience to everything, beach, main town and the mainland makes us popular with guests.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

Out of four hotels in one trip this was the best value for me. £33 per night for the room inc breakfast so travelling alone made this great value. As it was coming to the end of season it was quiet and they upgraded me to a bungalow plus a free massage. Nice touch.

Bungalows are lovely set amidst lots of planting and shaded. Small complex so walking between the restaurant, two pools and beach was easy. Hotel backs on to 2.5 km of almost deserted beach. Fab. I had booked for three nights but stayed for five. No problem just adding the extra nights on through the reception clerk

Room Tip: Go for a bungalow.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
222moo3, Manager at Royal Lanta Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Thank you very much for your kind review.

I am so pleased that you found that we are the best value for money out of four hotels you visited whilst here in Thailand, we always offer great deals during our Green Season (May to October). Our convenience to everything, beach, main town, tours and the mainland, makes us popular with guests and I am pleased you enjoyed our complimentary 20 minutes massage during your stay. It makes us exceptionally happy to hear that you decided to double the length of your stay because you enjoyed our resort so much.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

The rooms are more than spacious, very comfortable (superb bedding!) and clean ... you can see that the place is around for 'some time', but since things are being maintained this is no real bother.

2 pools of which the 'hill side pool' is the more favourable one.

Best breakfast of all places we stayed during our visit to Thailand ... and also the restaurant serves up good, decent fare.

I'm less convinced of the pool bar. Although staff was wonderfull, it takes a bit more 'effort' to provide cocktails and long drinks worth the name and the price.

All in all, nice place, nice people - loved it.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
222moo3, Manager at Royal Lanta Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Thank you for the information that you have shared in Trip Advisor with others.

Our rooms are spacious and furnished with a real teak wood furniture and every room has balcony or veranda at the front to sit and relax.

Our two pools; one is by the beach and another one is at the back of the resort which is more quiet to relax and that is your favourable one. I am glad you liked our breakfast. We always provide a good rotation breakfast buffet for our guests who stay at the average of 10 days.

I will review your feedback with our management team so that we can improve our pool bar areas you found unsatisfactory. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Lanta.

Reviewed 20 April 2013

Second time I have stayed here and it has continued o impress with the value for money and the position. Right in the middle of the night markets and close to many attractions for both adults and families. The rooms are comfortable and there is a good view from all rooms either over the rive or towards the night markets and the hills. Staff are only too happy to assist you in any way and the breakfast is very good. Bathroom is clean. Staff were only to happy to assist when my hot water was not working and they fixed it by the time I got back to the hotel that evening. A good hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
222moo3, Manager at Royal Lanta Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Welcome back and thank you for your comment shared with other readers.
I am glad you impressed with our great value for money which is our aim as well as our great location on Koh Lanta.

On behalf of the resort, I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to post your feedback after your second visit and we promise we will share with all our staff.

We hope to see you again on your next visit.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

I enjoyed the 6 nights we spent at the Royal Lanta and have therefore spent a lot of time pondering how to rate it.

I was looking for somewhere mid-priced, in a good location, with decent rooms, as opposed to a deluxe resort that you don't leave for the entire holiday. The Royal Lanta ticked those boxes and provided a comfortable base for our stay on Ko Lanta.

Our deluxe villa was very well priced (approx £80/night in early March), spacious, nicely decorated and well equipped. Nice touches included a fridge, 2 bottles of drinking water daily, umbrellas, beach/pool towels. The bed was huge, with a lovely teak reclining chair next to it and a further seating area. Plenty of clothes storage was a bonus. However, the rooms are not in the least bit private, as the huge windows and balcony overlook the main walkways, and so you need to keep the curtains closed, and most of the deluxe villas are directly opposite the family villas (so the obvious joys of other people's kids when 'relaxing' on the balcony!).

The grounds are pretty and tree-shaded with boardwalk style paths giving a quite premium resort feel.

The pools are both good, but the mountain view one is far superior and quieter. However, it is nowhere near the bar and there is no service, so a bit of a trip every time you need a drink. The front pool is directly on the beach, next to the bar and coffee shop, so more convenient. Lunch snacks can be ordered from the coffee shop and are delivered to your sun lounger, and the bar is a short walk away. Reasonably priced and good quality snacks include burgers, satay, noodles, sandwiches etc, plus nice cakes and coffee.

Breakfast has the best selection I encountered during my trip to Thailand and was of a good standard.

The spa looked lovely, but was several times more expensive than the places on the beach. However, there is a 30% discount on Fridays, and this would make it only twice as much as a beach massage and in far more luxurious surroundings.

The main reason for my 'average' rating though is that this place is a collection of bungalows and facilities but without any obvious service - not a resort. Yes, we were given a drink and spa voucher on arrival, but I'm afraid that's where the 'service' ended. Coffee shop staff were unhelpful, dirty dishes and glasses were left by the side of the pool all day, bar staff were often not there (to the point that I went to the shop next door 5 times out of 10, simply because I could not find anyone to serve me at the bar), breakfast was being cleared away well before 10am, the bar was closed by the time we came back from dinner each evening. This place just does not try hard enough I'm afraid. The restaurant was empty most evenings, but that's hardly surprising when you have to hunt for any sign of their offering. As it turns out, they do a fantastic value set dinner, but this was not advertised until our last night.

With some management attention to develop a true service ethos, and development of an atmosphere in the evenings, Royal Lanta could be pretty good. For now though, I rate it as average.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hamish11
222moo3, Manager at Royal Lanta Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2013

Thank you so much for your helpful and comprehensive review and I am very pleased that you liked our resort and its great location on Koh Lanta. I am glad you found that we are great value as well as great quality which is our aim.

On behalf of the resort, I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to post your feedback which we do take the time to read and absorb and we promise we will share with all our staff.

We hope to see you again on your next visit.