“Disappointing and had to shower in the villa next door !!”

Royal Lanta Resort and Spa
Ranked #35 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We came to Ko Lamta intending to stay 5 nights. We booked 2 nights first to see how the resort was and were glad we didn't commit to any more nights. As we moved on to another resort.
After dinner on our first night we went back to shower off a days with of suntan lotion and mozzie repellent to have our shower stop running after about 30 seconds.. Just enough time to get covered in soap ! I went to reception to find only a security guard available to help me... After 30 minutes of frustration I was given the key to another villa to use to shower for the 2 nights we were staying. I guess it was a solution but given that we were paying for their highest category villa this was far from ideal.
We stayed in August in low season so there is pretty much nothing open either side so the beach is deserted and most places are sheltered by green mesh and are being renovated. There are a few places to eat on the main road that offer a nicer environment than the hotel restaurant.
The hotel restaurant has very good food but it is very basic and ok for lunch. They also have a lot of birds begging for food at the table that the staff encourage by feeding them and loads of wasps all over the fruit and jams at breakfast. ( I think there was a wasp nest in the roof of the restaurant)

There are 2 pools and enough loungers (Esp when we were there) however there is a small Lilly pond next to the pool by the beach which has still water and is a mosquito breeding pond. As soon as it got to about 4.30 we saw loads of mosquitoes and my husband was bitten 4 times within as many minutes. As we were collecting our things we could see them swarming around. I did report this as we were leaving the following day.
There was a small cafe / bakery which looked like it would be nice but this was also closed due to season. The spa that was open and operating on appt due to reduced staffing was very nice but charged double the price for a massage than all the local places - and that was the low season reduced price. I accept that it is supposed to be a spa but to be honest I would rather have a good massage than a good environment...
I think that in high season the resort would give a better impression than it did. If you are going to open all year round then in my opinion you should give the same service regardless of the season. Yes the prices were slightly lower than normal but I don't think that given the reduced operations etc that this represents good value for money.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank An_Expat_Wife
222moo3, ผู้จัดการทั่วไป at Royal Lanta Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Royal Lanta Resort & Spa. I am so sorry that our offer of another room was not the solution you wanted, but we felt, as you wanted to shower we would not waste any more of your time whilst we fixed the shower.

You are correct in saying that the beach is very quiet between May and September, and this is something many of our customers enjoy, but if you take the time to walk the beach or the main street, you will find plenty of shops, bars and restaurants that are open.

I can assure you that our staff find the birds a nuisance too! and are told under no circumstances to encourage them, but I will reiterate this point to the staff again. I am glad you liked our pools and you enjoyed the freedom of having it to yourself and I can assure you that our little pond is filled with fish eating mosquito to reduce the impact of mosquitoes (which are prevalent during this period).

Lanta is a wonderful place and many guests love the relaxed atmosphere of our Green Season (May to September) where you can enjoy great deals on accommodation with us and feel really secluded from their busy home life, but I hope to see you again in High Season when you will enjoy a busier atmosphere.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

My party of 4 taking 3 rooms recently had a 4 night stay at Royal Lanta.

We took the deluxe rooms and they were spacious and bright. The mattress was too hard for my liking, normally I wouldn't complain but I did wake often trying to get comfortable.
The bathrooms had been refurbished and had everything we needed. The air con was good and kept the room cool at all times. My only complaints would be no wifi access in the rooms and the safe was located at reception. It was too small for my ipad, just a long box for money, passports etc. it would be much better for the rooms to have a personal safe.

The breakfast was fine with all the usual choices. For what you pay you cannot expect the same standard as a 5* hotel costing £100 a night.

We used the beachfront pool and had lunch from the restaurant most days which was very nice.

Ko Lanta was very, very quiet when we stayed. I was aware it is low season but it is possibly more suited to young families or couples as the choice of nightlife/bars is very limited for someone looking for a variety of things to do in the evenings.

All in all for the rates we paid it was very good value and if I ever return to Ko Lanta I would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
222moo3, Manager at Royal Lanta Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Thank you for comment that you have shared in Trip Advisor with others.

Our rooms are spacious and furnished with a real teak wood furniture. I am sorry that you did not inform us about the mattress you found it too hard otherwise we could easily soften it for your liking. We use 10 Mbps leased line for our Wife connection but no access in the rooms as you mentioned. We also plan to have safe in room with larger space for guests convenience, our present safe box is now out of date – I agreed.

Green Season is always a challenge for us, as the guest numbers are greatly reduce and the weather can be anywhere from fabulous to very stormy. I really hope you visit Koh Lanta again in High Season when the island is far more active.

I appreciated your review against the previous comment from the woman who rated us “Horrible” when she stayed the same period of time as you.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I wouldn't recommend Royal Lanta Resort & Spa to nobody. We were supposed to stay 5 days and left after the 2nd day! The room was dirty and full of ants and other animals! The bathroom was not clean and we didn't even want to use it. The breakfast was cold and not tasteful at all! Although the staff tried their best and the location was okay, it couldn't match up to all the other negative things in this resort!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
222moo3, Manager at Royal Lanta Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

"I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay at Royal Lanta Resort & Spa, we were aware of your unhappiness and did try to accommodate your many complaints but were unable to satisfy you on this particular occasion. We did actually have a great review from one of the other guests who was staying at the same time as you, so as the saying goes "you cannot please all of the people all of the time" however hard you try.

I hope the rest of your stay in Thailand is more acceptable to you"

Reviewed 30 July 2013

excellent hotel the best 4 stars on the island we were very lucky and got upgraded in a fantastic room and stayed 5 nights instead of one all the staff was very nice lovely pool and beach will undoubtfully go again, definitely recommand it
the beauty salon was also great

just a little thing which was disappointing was the indoor restaurant where we wanted to have a romantic meal but the place was a bit of a shamble and more like a canteen and some people were in their beach outfit which for the evening should not have been accepted, but the food was very nice

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
222moo3, Manager at Royal Lanta Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Thank you for choosing Royal Lanta, the three star resort on Koh Lanta, we are glad that you decided to extend you stay and spend longer with us.

We appreciated the helpful review that you have shared in Tri Advisor against another woman who stayed in the same period as you but rated us “Horrible”. All of us were very happy that she checked out earlier than schedule.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Lanta.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

I stayed at the Royal Lanta with friends earlier this year and we loved it. It was great value for money, the staff were really helpful and friendly, the location was great, the pool was lovely. The food we had was all perfectly fine but we made sure we ventured out to some of the other restaurants on the island too. I would definitely recommend opting for a garden villa as they were the nicest rooms - our friends and their daughter were in one of these. We were in a huge room by the second swimming pool which was so quiet it felt like a private pool! I had a massage in their spa which was one of the nicest I have ever had, I left feeling incredibly relaxed and went back later for a pedicure.

Room Tip: Garden villas are the nicest but be careful of mosquitos at dusk.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
222moo3, Manager at Royal Lanta Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Thank you for the wealth recommendation and information that you have shared in Trip Advisor with others.

I am really pleased you found that we are great value for money and convenient, being at the heart of this sandy beach, with Saladan town within walking distance. Our two pools; one is by the beach and another one is at the back of the resort which is more quiet to relax and this is the one you mentioned.

It makes us exceptionally happy to hear that you enjoyed the massage and a pedicure in our Coral Reef Spa.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Lanta.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

Rooms are nice - bungalow style fitted out in quite a traditional Thai style with lots of wood and high ceilings. The resort itself seemed very quiet. The restaurant was deserted (both people and staff) and although the sea cow cafe had people in it, choice was terrible. We called in for drinks and were given an extensive menu- after trying to order 3 times (sorry no cocktails, then no shakes, then no hot drinks) we were told all that was available was soft drinks (mostly fizzy cans) or beer which was a shame. Pictures of the beach look nice but as we were here during rainy season we were met with a more dismal picture and there is a lot of litter- not the fault of the resort however and I suspect in high season there is a bigger attempt to keep the beach cleaned up. The communal areas in the resort could do with a revamp as the restaurant / cafe are past their best. The spa was closed for the whole of June. All in all the rooms are nice but the resort is average and needs a little bit more get up and go! We did notice the same as another reviewer tat tree seems to be the odd lizard dropping on the linen too!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
222moo3, Manager at Royal Lanta Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Thanks for your compliments about the rooms and yes indeed during low season our restaurant and hotel is much quieter, which means that we have reduced staffing and excellent room prices.

Our apologies regarding the beach, we do clean our area but during the low season, the water movement pushes rubbish from the sea onto our beaches (this is actually from other islands), which as the season changes is taken back into the sea at the end of low season. We help participate in beach clean ups throughout the year to stop the rubbish going back into the sea. The island does now employ beach clean up teams but the job is much harder during low season.

We use June to revamp our spa so we are sorry you were unable to use it.
Low season is all our great prices and relaxing on Koh Lanta.

Kindest regards
The Royal Lanta Team

Reviewed 14 June 2013

The food in the resturant is awful and the place feels very desolate and "cold".
Go to the restaurant in the hotel next to Royal Lanta.
Service and atmosphere is probably be better in high season.
Hotel itself is good value and it has a nice spot on the Klong Dao beach with it's pool overlooking the ocean.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
222moo3, Manager at Royal Lanta Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Thank you very much for your short review.

I am glad that you found we are great value for money and convenient, being at the heart of Klong Dao beach. I am sorry to hear that you did not like our food in the restaurant. I will let our Chef knows about this.

Hope to see you again.