“A casual 3 star resort in a 5 star location.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Twin Bay Resort

Twin Bay Resort
Ranked #19 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Jessheim, Norway
“A casual 3 star resort in a 5 star location.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

A casual 3 star resort in a 5 star location:
(5 star locations are rare and pretty close to heaven I'll imagine)

The place is an open patio with the reseption area, the restaurant and the bar along with the pool area. On both sides of the Resort you have a beatiful sea view, a true unique place.
See Picture..

The Topographics:
Koh Lanta Yai is an island on the West coast of Thailand just North in the Malacca strait in the eastern part of the Andaman Sea. The island is about 6 km wide and 30 km long and there are a lot of ridges covered with virgin rainforest. The Twin Bay Resort is located at the North West side of Klong Dao Beach where the 2 bays meet, thus the name Twin Bay.
See picture..

The first impressions:
The reson we found this beatiful place was a pure topographic matter. We where in a hurry to find a good place to stay since our hotel reservation in Ao Nang was about to expire, we had already decided on Koh Lanta. The booking.whatever.com sites just gave us the usual bullcrap about all the pretty places out there, so we went for google maps to find a good spot, and google maps as you all knows, will make you happy!

We went to their website: www.twinbaylanta.com and filled out the booking form. The procedure was quite simple but unfortunatly it was allready weekend so no answer where recieved except for an auto reply.
I called the booking office in Bangkok the next day, they could inform me they couldn't help me since they where closed. So I called the hotel directly and recieved excelent service and the course was set to Koh Lanta.

We where met by a beatiful sight, actually quite stunning. There where smiling faces and welcome drinks and before we knew we where set in the Bungalows.

The Bugalows:
The Bungalows was quite good with space enough and all facilities needed, including a terrace with some chairs and a table. They where set up with aircondition, fridge, mosqito nets, and the usual crappy toilets from china or something (These toilets actually grow on trees below 40 degrees North).
And every once in a while the local wildlife pays you a visit ;=)

The Restaurant:
The Restaurant was a thing of it's own, they had real good food there but a good part of the restaurant crew just didnt respond to events in the real world, they where always sitting behind the counter and writing things in small books, and when you called for them they showed up to: don't understand you some more;=)
So with good food and cartoon prices it was well worth the circus ..

The chef at the restaurant was actually awarded the Best Burger on Koh Lanta 2012 in a competition at a bar called The Devonshire Arms at the southern part of the island. I will address this bar in another post. The competition went down with 10 judges from all over the world and they won the competition with a margin on 10 points.
See Picture..

The Bar:
The bar consists of 1.7 bartenders that mostly get things wrong even though they write it all down all the time. They even kept writing things after I ordered it. In the beginning I believed they did their homework or something but after a while something led me to believe they where actually practicing writing pretty bills maybe. I still haven't figured this one out yet. They couldn't make most drinks and cocktails right but this was not weird at all because neither could the rest of Thailand either ;=)
But for the good things: They made something close to the best smoothies and fruitshakes ever tasted, a truly good piece of craftmanship. The Bar has a good location beside the pool and it's easy to pick up something fresh and cold. They have draft beer there from Chang witch is a good and fresh beer.
I've spend some time in the bar to make sure that the staff could remember the most essential drinks;=)

Some of the characters to be seen:

John The Manager:
Always fixing things and running around as a moving superglue. He really get things done as quick as he detects them. He can also translate thing to the crew as he speak Thai.
He applies a great deal of most needed good all British sarkasm to the place, see picture:

The housekeepers:
The housekeeping service was very responsive and they always made funny creations of the bathroom towels;=) very nice people!

The engineers:
Always running around and fixing things that needed some fixing. They where very responsive the times we needed them to fix something!

The Reception Staff:
Very nice and polite and very friendly and they made a very good first impression to me when we first arrived, and for what it's worth they kept that impression going all the way!

Bill The Barman
«Bill the Barman» is a term that I propably never will forget. Bills actual name is unknown to me so Bill will do for now, he is quite a character. I spendt a lot of time in the bar and he never siesed to amaze me. But he did good on the smoothies and the fruitshakes. At some point in time he concluded that there where to types of reptiles in Thailand: small and big.
See picture..

The Conclusion:
This place is propably the best and most easy place to stay in Thailand.
Some day I will return to Thailand, I will skip Phuket and Ao Nang and all the other busy stressed out places with crazy shop owners trying to kidnap you into crappy stores and sell you things you dont need. I will go down to Twin Bay again and look at the beatiful beaches and the slow bartenders that writes things you don't need to know anything about and drink the best fruitshakes while we talk about small and big reptiles or whatever..or maybe just some British sarcasm will do..

I do recomend this place to everyone that needs to see another Thailand or just needs to slow down. Even angels will fall for this true paradise..

Room Tip: if you tip off the cleaning ladies you always have a good room;=)
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Arild-Lund
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, 10 March 2012
Dear Arild,

Well in all my time as a GM, i can safely say this has to be one of the most entertaining, helpful, factual, critical and pleasurable reviews i have come across.

Where does one begin trying to address such a review ? In a nutshell your headline says it all. A casual 3 star in a 5 star location. Casual it is, sometimes a little too casual as you clearly pointed out in some areas of service. I cannot deny there is too much scribbling in books and pieces of paper in the restaurant and bar, a throwback of old systems which have to be addressed with updated software and 'users'!

5 star location it is indeed. No problem there, but need to update our website to reflect that. I once said, it is like living in a postcard, forever beautiful.

The Characters you mention will all be informed of your kind words, even Bill the barman should stand proud with such a review instead of sitting down! As for me being like a "moving superglue" well that's a first, i have been called somethings in my time, but not that.

"Even angels will fall for this true paradise". . Agreed

rm@twinbaylanta.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
Hirtshals, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

Beatiful and quiet situated resort, very friendly and helpful staff, good food at reasonable prices, nice and very well cleaned room.
We will book room here next time we go to Thailand

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jan P
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Dear Jan,

You are the second reviewer this morning, so i would like to thank you for adding an additional smile to my face. Twin Bay certainly has way of pleasing the majority and obviously our little place in paradise did just that for you.

I am delighted to hear that you would choose to stay with us again on your next trip back to Thailand. We will certainly be waiting to welcome you both back again. As with all reviews, i will let the staff know of your kind words to give them that extra boost they need after a busy high season.

Wasquehal, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

we were supposed to stay 3 nights in Twin Bay Resort, but such a friendly staff, such a good cooking, such a nice swimming pool and its direct access to the beach... we nearly feel at home here. We warmly recommend this address to people looking for genuine Thailand... in this wonderful part of the world.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear Natalie,

Many thanks for your wonderful words about Twin Bay. It is reviews like this that make it all worth while. I do recall you were finding it hard to leave, but sadly all good things come to an end.

Please be assured your second home will keep its charm and friendliness for your next visit and for any other guests who are planning to stay with us. We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back in the not too distant future.

bretagne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

We rent a beach bungalow at twin bay resort. Very overpriced for what you get !
Oldy bungalow,basic bathroom for the price of a palace in bangkok !
Breakfast was good,but restaurant poor
Beach is very flat , so you need to walk a lot for swimming.
Swimming pool was ok
Staff is unfriendly , Don't expect someone to carry your luggage !
We spent only one day but it was enough !

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Firstly, thank you for your review of Twin Bay Resort. I always take all reviews seriously as i am sure you can see from all my responses since taking over the management of the property in December 2011. Unfortunately i had not started here when you stayed, so i was unable to address your concerns on the spot.

I think if you go through the reviews since December, you will find a trend of increased guest satisfaction, with the occasional blip here and there. Obviously no resort is perfect and there will be reviews by guests that have been disappointed as their expectations haven't been met.

What constitutes a great resort experience ? The obvious being, product and service and importantly the location. Twin Bay since i have been here, has made every effort with the first two points and moved forward, admittedly there is still room for improvement. Location i cant do anything about, and i certainly wouldn't want to change it.

Asides all of that, i thank you for your review, as riding high on the last two reviews, it is a good kick to let us all know we have more to do in our quest of guest satisfaction.

Porsgrunn, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

We had almost 4 weeks at the resort and loved the area and the beach. So nice and quiet and not crowded on the beach. Perfect days for us. Worked well to stay at Twin bay and use that as a base for excursions around Ko Lanta and to other island´s. Nice bungalows, especially the beach front bungalow´s that included almost everything. We got good service and help from the staff whenever we needed it. If possible, we all will go back soon. John, the Hotel manager was unique. He ensured that everything was ok at all times, thanks.

Room Tip: Select the beach front bungalow´s.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, 4 March 2012
Dear Sven,

Firstly, many thanks for your positive review of Twin Bay Resort. It always enhances my morning smile when i open up TripAdvisor and see such reviews.

I can imagine 4 weeks in a beachfront bungalow was a very relaxing holiday, i envy you, I think i will have to holiday here sometime. Your comments on the staff particularly please me as they are part of what make this resort unique. As i always say, behind every Manager there is a team of staff that deliver the service, I just try to enhance on it.

Calling me 'unique' can be read in many different ways, hopefully unique in a way that helped you enjoy your stay that little bit more. I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future. I will as always, copy this review to the staff to show them your appreciation.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Ko Lanta is a beautiful place to unwind and relax, and Twin Bay proved to be the perfect setting.

The location is great! Our Beachfront Room was just that, on a beautiful stretch of sand. Unlike some resorts we visited in Lanta, Twin Bay is not too far from town.

The rooms are clean, comfortable and well appointed. Tea and coffee making facilities would have been convenient, but lounging by the pool to get out caffeine hit wasn't too tragic!

The restaurant serves a lovely breakfast and tasty Thai food, the bar delicious cocktails, and the pool is very nice.

It is the staff, however, that make Twin Bay leave a lasting impression. Staff are always in abundance, ready and enthusiastic to help and serve guests with a genuine smile.

We chose Twin Bay because despite it's low TripAdvisor rating, management engaged constructively with reviews and cared about their guests' experience.

We made the right choice.

• Stayed February 2012
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear Daniel and Ngoc,

It was such a pleasure to sip on my coffee this morning at breakfast as it is every morning. I always think what could be better. Well now i know. Opening up TripAdvisor and reading a review of such professionalism and cheer for Twin Bay.

I remember receiving your email before you arrived and worrying a bit about your expectations. They appeared high, and i showed it to all our key staff explaining to them that "the bar had been raised". As you were aware, i only briefly chatted to you as i was on route to Malaysia and i left with a calmer thought after seeing you enjoy your first meal at the poolside.

I am absolutely delighted that my team met your expectation during your stay and this review will be copied to all concerned with a pat on the back for all of them.

I do hope that we all have the opportunity of welcoming you both back in the not too distant future, and even if you have to lounge by the pool for your caffeine hit, as you say, it isn't "tragic".

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

we have just spent 10 wonderful days chilling out at the twin bay resort.
The spot is so peaceful situated in a quiet bay.
The rooms are clean with daily housekeeping of a high standard.
The food is excellent and breakfast buffet is good.
The pool and beach are great.
Excellent Wifi available in most rooms.
Any drawbacks? of course but this is Thailand. Service can be a bit slow but we were not in a rush to be somewhere else.
The pool barman tended to go missing a lot (girlfriend problems we think) but hey when he got there the thirst was greater.
Any problems see the GM who did his utmost to ensure an enjoyable stay.
We are now in Krabi resort Ao Nang and it isn't quite as good.
Looking forward to revisiting.
Pete & Sue Stanford

Room Tip: ask for 115
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, 29 January 2012
Dear Pete and Sue,

Chill out you did if i remember rightly. The sunbeds got their fair share of work from both of you and the bar i think you propped up excellently. It's true we are in Thailand, and things can be a little different from home countries to say the least, but that is not something we can fall back on when it comes to servicing the guests. The barman will be shortly informed of your comments in a diplomatic way.

As with all reviews i receive, i will pin this up on the staff board and use it to our advantage to try and enhance on areas noted.

Look forward to you both returning in the not too distant future.