“Good people, great value.”
Review of Twin Bay Resort

Twin Bay Resort
Ranked #19 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Vancouver, Canada
“Good people, great value.”
Reviewed 7 March 2013 via mobile

We had booked 3 nights and ended up staying 8. We had to move rooms because we extended our stay 2x. Our first room was a beachfront bungalow (totally worth the money!). It was truly lovely looking out over the bay and beach from our stoop. We spent a great deal of time there relaxing. Our second room was a Bach view bungalow overlooking some garden and the other bay. That room was great too and a little less expensive. If you are budget conscious, don't be afraid to book these rooms - you will like them!

The staff and managers (John and Eric) were really great. Both Eric and John were very helpful setting us up with a dive company, bikes and restaurant suggestions. They are a great asset to the resort.

The beach front BBQ is wonderful and really good value as well.

We will miss this place - it was one of the highlights of our month in Thailand.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Allan D
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, 10 March 2013
Dear valued guests.

As always it is a pleasure to read such positive reviews with my morning coffee. As you said, the staff are a great asset to the resort and am proud of the way they aim to please each and every guest in their own styles. Can be quite amusing sometimes.

The BBQ has been a success since we introduced it back in Novemeber last year. I am hoping to expand on it for next season.

Once again a big thanks for a wonderful review and hope we have the chance to welcome you back again shortly.

Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
Malmö
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We stayed here for 10 days, and absolutely loved it. The location was great, secluded with a beautiful beach, but still very close to town. There was also free transport by shuttle bus in the evening. The bungalows were nice, but the real strength was the people working here! The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, and both managers seemed to work endless hours. The restaurant was ok, but we went out for dinner most nights anyway, except on our first night when there was a beach barbeque. We would definitely recommend this place, mostly because of the amazing location and the wonderful attitude of the staff!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Annika P
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Dear Valued Guests

Many thanks for such a wonderful reveiw of Twin Bay Resort. Such reviews go a long way in boosting the moral of the team here. January was a busy month and we all had our work cut out but I am delighted that you left with such positive thoughts of your stay with us.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

copenhagen, denmark
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Stayed here 2 weeks in january. Travelled with my husband, 2 year old son and my parents. Twinbay is located a perfect place on the Beach. Very quiet and not crowded at all! The food in the restaurant was good and they had nice bbq on the Beach a couple of times a week.
We stayed in a Beach bungalow. It was very nice and perfect location.
The only bad thing we have to say is that sometimes at lunch it takes forever to get your food, even though they weren't busy, some days we waited 45 minutes for our food, with only to other people in the restaurant.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank SandraOkholm
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
Dear Valued Guests

Many thanks for your positive review of your stay in Twin Bay back in January. It is always a delight to receive such positive remarks. With regards to the slow food service during lunch, I can only imagine it was during the period of kitchen staff changes and restaurant staff changes which always appear to happen every January. For some reason December seems to whittle out the not so strong ones. Replacing the work force is very common on Lanta in January and also a challenge to find staff who can cope with the work load.

Apart from that problem, I am happy to share your positive review with the staff as a motivator. We are nearing the end of the season so it will help as that extra boost to get them past the finishing line.

Vancouver
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We stayed here for three nights and overall had a good stay. The resort is in a great location on a small point with bays on both sides. The beach itself is quiet and sea is very shallow. You have to walk quite far in before it is deep enough to swim. Very safe for very young children. Very nice swimming pool area with bar. The main town is within easy 15-20 minute walking distance. The rooms were basic but comfortable enough with nice shower with really good water pressure(rare in Thailand). Windows are all mosquito proof and sleeping net available which we did not need. Wi Fi available but very slow. Single computer available near front desk that was much better. The resort seemed to be well managed with expats in attendance. Everybody was very friendly and service was good. The only issue we had was that our A/C kept on tripping out which meant waking up in the middle of the night feeling hot, sweaty and room stuffy. A repairman was called in but did not really fix it as the issue kept on happening with slightly less frequency.
One other issue was the coffee at breakfast was really bad. It tasted like they made a big pot of instant coffee as drip coffee does not seem to be something you will find in many places. I switched to tea as a better choice. The breakfast itself was OK with loads of fresh fruit, egg station and muesli and yogurt. I just wish they made more effort to keep flies off the fruit.

Room Tip: Rooms along the beach are the best but you pay extra. Cheaper rooms face north towards town.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mooniac
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Dear valued guets,

Yet again it is a delight to receive anothe review. Altthough you scored us as an average, the review itself was generally positive.

Breakfast is always the hardest meal of the day to please because each and everyone wakes in a particular frame of mind which determines in their own mind the standard of the breakfast. we are constantly aware of this and try varied menus to please. i do admit you re not the first to mention the coffee and consistency needs improving. It would be ideal to serve fresh ground coffee each morning, but logistically due to volume makes it not possible with the equipment we have.

As you said, the location of the resort is great and as your headline says, we do position ourselves as a Caual 3 star in a 5 star location.

I do hope we have the chance o welcome you back sometime in the future and hopefully by then we will be ready to serve more enhanced coffee.

Best regrds
Assen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 15 February 2013

This hotel is just 5 minutes from the town and has a wonderful location! Perfect for kids and adults. Being in the pool looking at the sea is a "trip" itself.
Its managed by an English guy called John and a Swedisch guy called Eric. It's very comforting to have someone explain things to you in English. In Thailand, the locals don't speak English very well.

Room Tip: Just choose a room with seaview. It's wonderful to sit there after a busy day and just relax.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank adriana_carioca
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Dear Valued Guests

Thank you so much for you delightful review. You in fact are our 100th review and it was especially nice to so get full marks :-) I fully understand the comfort of English speaking staff, it does make things easier. Erik is a huge asset to the operation and I am glad he got another well earned mention.

Hopefully we will see you again back at Twin Bay in the not too distant future. Our doors are always open and welcoming

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 12 February 2013

When booking our vacation we wanted seclusion, which is what we got at Twin Bays. We arrived in the morning before checkin started but there was a place to leave our luggage and towels were provided for the pool/beach. It is at the far end of the beach so it is not crowded at all and we never had trouble finding a lounge chair. From what I could tell it was also the best beach for swimming on that side of the island, nice and shallow, warm and sandy. Further down the water got really deep really fast (not good for a three year old), had big waves, or a rocky bottom. There were also tons of sea shells littering the beach it kept our daughter busy for hours. There were many other families there and everyone seemed pretty happy. We booked a standard room and it was perfect for our family of three. Nothing too fancy but we weren't in the room much anyway. They had already placed a cot in the room for our daughter before we even checked in. My only complaint about the room would be the hard mattresses and flat pillows, but some people like that. It was quiet at night and the road had hardly any traffic.

Breakfast was good, omelet station, bacon, cereal and toast, who could complain? It was free and a big step up from the standard bagel and coffee free breakfast. We also had lunch at the restaurant which was very good, especially the chicken satay. The Beach BBQ was probably our favorite dinner we had on the island ( we tired a few other places), good selection and we all three of us left stuffed! The staff was friendly and very attentive, Erik and Jon were both very helpful in arranging transport and day trips. We went elephant trekking and on the 4 island tour and they were awesome!

Ok so my one complaint, which I hesitate to even mention because our vacation was so awesome, but having been in the service industry myself for so many years it is very important to me. Although Jon was very helpful through emails and did arrange the tuk tuk rental for us, his personality and helpfulness did not translate face to face. In fact he seemed annoyed or too laid back about his job. On our last day there after an all day snorkeling trip he wouldn't even get us a laundry bag to put wet swim suits in. He said there should be one in our room, as we had already checked out we didn't have a room and his response was well I don't have one. So I had to put soaking wet swimsuits into our suitcase, gross! Even a small garbage bag would have worked. Maybe he was just having a bad day but customer service should be priority number one especially for the manager.

Overall though we would stay at this hotel again, it was perfect for our little family. We had so much fun I am glad that Twin Bays was where we stayed.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank dwoodfall
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, 15 February 2013
Dear Mr. Woodfall,

Firstly my sincere apologies for having been less than helpful on your last day regarding your laundry bag request. It is uncommon of me to act in that way and to be very honest I don't recall it. It must have been a stressful day or my mind was on another planet due to circumstances. But as you say it is not acceptable and I apologize once again.

On a brighter note, your review was a delight to read and sheds a good light on what it is like to stay at Twin Bay. The staff, the service, the food and virtually all aspects of the resort you reviewed, I think, are spot on. The breakfast buffet tries to cover all taste buds, the lunch menu is simple but good and the BBQ is a favorite with most guests. Erik as you say is a great employee and his interaction with the guests is always one of helpfulness.

So in short, I apologize for blemishing your last day with us and it is a wake up call for me to convert my helpful correspondence into a face to face experience to match.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I stayed at this resort recently for 6 days at the end of a very busy and compact trip around other areas of Thailand, and it was the perfect location to relax, chill out and unwind. The resort is mainly used by families or couples but I stayed with my friend and had an amazing time.
The rooms are fairly basic but reasonably comfortable, functional and kept very clean. Mosquito nets were provided for us and were muchly appreciated in our battle against the beasts! As was the A/C after a long day outdoors. Our electrical appliances worked on a standard European plug with no problems. The pool area and pool itself is lovely and kept in great condition with the GMs particular ideas on poolside etiquette. The bar area is a great place to chill and enjoy the scenery with plenty of cocktail options.... If its not on the list, they'll create it for you! The restaurant is also in a lovely cool position. The breakfast buffet had everything you would expect and catered for both Thai and more western tastes. Although we didn't really eat there much during the day as we preferred to venture out and about. But the lunch buffet was tasty enough and would be great value for families.
Twin Bay is in a stunning location, you just can't get tired of the view there! During our stay if we went on the beach we were often at least 50metres away from the nearest people.
The staff were exceptionally kind and friendly, and Erik went above and beyond our expectations in making sure that we had an enjoyable stay. Both John and Erik were great in their recommendations for organising day trips and which restaurants to visit in the town.
My only critique of the whole set up is that the bar closes quite early (usually 10pm) so you will need to go into town for 'entertainment' although the staff certainly didn't mind us having drinks in our rooms or by the poolside once the bar had closed. This probably isn't an issue for the majority of guests staying in family groups though.
Twin bay resort is not a palace if you want extreme luxury, but it is excellent value for money, is clean, comfortable and has a friendly, homely feel to the place that in my opinion money just can't buy. In fact, there's simply no other place I would stay if I ever manage to return.

Room Tip: To my knowledge there is only 1 less desirable room in the whole resort.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Rachel A
JDeeKohLanta, General Manager at Twin Bay Resort, responded to this review, 6 February 2013
Dear Valued Guests

Swings and roundabouts. What one appreciates another doesn't. Thank you so much for your lovely review of Twin Bay. I totally agree that we are in an amazing location and I also never get bored of the views.

So nice to hear yet again about the friendliness of our staff here. They try their best in their own way and I can't fault that. Also nice to get positive comments regarding the breakfast and the lunch buffet. The kitchen staff work tirelessly around the clock to get the food out and mouths fed.nThe bar as you say does close at 10 pm as our guests are mainly families and not bar dwellers. Happy that you enjoyed it though.

Awaiting your return.