“Perfect setting, great food”
Review of Apsara

Apsara
Ranked #27 of 337 Restaurants in Ko Lanta
Cuisines: Seafood, Thai
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Came here for dinner and sat at end of jetty with water lapping beneath us watching lightning in the offshore islands. Tasty, crispy spring rolls, lovely stir fried veg and horse mackerel with pepper, basil and garlic were all perfectly cooked. Service was very friendly and efficient, but in no way intrusive, despite us being the only people in the restaurant. The prices did seem a little high, but overall we had a wonderful evening and felt it was well worth it.

Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Came here once for lunch when visiting old town then ended up driving 45 minutes from long beach three more times just to eat here! The sea view is beautiful with the tide in or out, the food is incredible and the owners are the friendliest loveliest people.

We are currently on our 4th month of travelling and are on quite a tight budget, the food was decently price and the owners son even let us watch him cook our meals and talked us through it! Saving us alot of pennies on a cooking class! :) My friends loved the fresh sea food and me the vegetarian options!

Would highly recommend this cute family run restaurant to anybody! AMAZING

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Hired a bike and came for some lunch, the food was great and such good value, the owner was so helpful and told us where to visit on the island, as we left I noticed my bike had a flat tire, and he went out of his way to drive to a mechanics and get the bike repaired for us! The nicest people and the greatest food!

Reviewed 2 April 2014

My husband did his research before chosing Apsara for our lunch in Old Town. It had really good reviews, so we looked past the fact that there was no one in the restaurant while the ones on either side had at least 5 tables full. To get to the tables by the water, you have to walk through the quaint, albeit dark front dining area, mind your head, walk through the kitchen and prep areas, mind your head, and then you are there. The outside dining is best had at high tide (we were there at lunch...low tide). The server kindly brought a fan to stand by our table as it was a pretty hot day (there is a cute little table at the end of the little jetty, but honestly, it was so hot that the kids were reticent to agree to go out for a photo in the midday sun).

Upon looking at the menu, I was surprised by the relatively high cost for the offerings. We had already been in Lanta for 4 days, eating tons of seafood and local Thai dishes at restaurants with premium property, so we were surprised that most things cost more at Apsara than at any of the other places we had eaten. We started with drinks and tempura shrimp (something we had a lot of while in Lanta). When the shrimp came, they were tiny in comparison. The first shrimp that my daughter bit into revealed a full poop shoot still in the shrimp, which is gross and does put a damper on the next bite. Much of the shell around the tail was still left on, making the "tempura" part of the tail a waste since you then had to peel it off to eat the meat. As a party of 4, we ordered a variety of things to sample the menu. The best item was a Thai garlic basil chicken. I tried the cashew chicken since other reviewers raved about it, but we all felt it was bland and unremarkable. The kids split a fried fish with garlic, which was fried to the point of being dry. The salad that comes with the fish was the best part of that meal.

The one thing that you do need to do is use the toilet while in the restaurant. The toilet comes with intricate instructions which my whole family got a kick out of. A concern, which we hope is unfounded, is that the waste doesn't go to a good place....further inspection would need to be made.

The staff was very friendly...after all, we were the only people there. It is quaint and rustic, and for cocktails during high tide I would definitely recommend it. I think that if we were to go back to Old Town (which, honestly, wasn't all that impressive compared to other parts of the island), we would definitely be trying out one of the other restaurants on offer. We wanted to love it. It just didn't live up to the hype.

2  Thank LoVa10
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We were actually told to stop at this restaurant while visiting Thailand. The food was very delicious - fresh and flavorful. The waiter spoke English very well and was very friendly. My husband had the chicken cashew, which he couldn't stop talking about how good it was. I had the fried noodles and shrimp - delicous! The view and light breeze added to the fantastic dining experience.

1  Thank karen w