“exellent service and amazingly beautiful spot”

Rawi Warin Resort & Spa
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
copenhagen
“exellent service and amazingly beautiful spot”
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We stayed 3 adults, 1 teenager and 2 small children in a deluxe poolwiew room for 2 days.
Almost alone at the resort, we had a very spoiled stay.
The children enjoyed the movie theater at the resort very much, and the adults enjoyed our fabolous delicate dinner set at the restaurant in the evening, while the kids played in the playroom downstairs.
all the waitresses was so very proffisional. Everything they made right, and nobody did anything wrong.
We had a very good rate bacause of the rainy season, a superb. way to expirience a extreme luxury resort, on a fair rate.
The very big pool even had a great water slide, wich the kids loved so much.
We even had a ticket for 1 hour oilmassage at the resort spa, including our special package and a thai dinner set.
We did´nt use the massage ticket because we had to make a booking at least 3 hour before, and we din´nt have time to wait.
But the food was the best. They had a great kids menu card, wide selections.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Leeds, England
Reviewed 21 April 2010

Having stayed in many great hotels throughout Thailand, including Hilton, Sheraton, Le Meridien, I was quite concerned about this one after reading the reviews on this site. I was pleasantly surprised on arrival however, and would rank it as one of the best yet. We had a Pond Room next to the swimming pool, which was very convenient with our four month old baby. My three year old loved the water slide and kids pool. The hotel was family friendly with a play room and cinema room which offered to play any of my daughter's dvds for her, but was really peaceful at the same time. Breakfast was great and I found the staff to be polite and helpful (although we did not have any problems to face them with). If only I had booked through Expedia though, I could have saved us over £200 as they are offering third night free. Also by paying on check out I suffered the poor exchange rate (47 baht to the pound) and wish I had reserved it in pounds.
We stayed at Pimalai Resort in 2004 and went back for a look around but felt a bit disappointed that it did not seem to have been maintained brilliantly and, for the money, I felt we were much better off at Rawi Warin. All in all, a top Thailand hotel at a resaonable rate.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Finland
Reviewed 16 April 2010

Me and my wife stayed at the Rawi Warin in March 2010 for 7 days.
We liked it a lot. It was very nice, clean, friendly hotel.
I can't understand how many of these reviewers say that "staff was rude" ??
Our feelings is totally different, they were allways very helpful and friendly for us.
Even the hotel manager comes to welcome us when we arrived in hotel.

When i was booking our trip to Thailand i let my travel agency to know that it was our honeymoon.
Rawi Warin was noticed that and we get our Pond Room at the best place, next to beach. Also they brought us a cake.

Breakfast was very good and well varied.

We liked alot of this hotel, and enjoyed of our stay.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Rawi Warin in June 2009 for 7 days.
The resort was near to empty and on one night at least we were the only people staying, almost a Rockstar experience. We stayed in a Pondroom, which was clean, convenient and not expensive. Good air-conditioning and a comfortable bed, very nice bathroom, and a good sized balcony with a table for our evening drinks. Our room was right next to the pool/slide and had a great view across the pool and out to the ocean.
I would not recommend staying there in low season with children as many of the child based facilities are not available. The playroom was locked and not equipped, the waterslide was not running, the floating dock/swimming pool is stored away because of bad weather. The computer games room was dismantled. The pool side bar was also closed, but we just waved to the bar staff upstairs and they were happy to come down to us. In fact I think they were happy to do anything.
We had great weather, with only 10 minutes of rain one evening at about 10pm. Daytime temps around 30C and quite humid. At night it was 22-25C.
As an adult couple, we had a very peaceful time. We could relax by the pool, without screaming children. We could eat breakfast when we liked and take as long as we liked.

We found the staff generally very helpful, but the reception staff had quite poor English. The bar and restaurant were open and we found the service quite good. The breakfasts were included and "a la carte" and therefore cooked fresh. The dinner menu had meal specials starting from $8AUD (Very cheap). This is quite expensive compared to the surrounding restaurants, but it was also quite a step up in quality and service.
We used the hotel as a base for our diving from Saladan. We dived with Lanta Diver, who have a shop at Rawi Warin. It is not staffed during low season, but a quick phone call arranged all we needed including transfers. We could not recommend Lanta Diver more highly, the staff were relaxed and professional and the gear was in great condition. We also found the diving about half the price of Fiji. Next time we will stay closer to Saladan to minimise our travel time to and from the boat.
We used the Activity office across the road from the Cafe/Bakery and found them Very helpful. They even lent us motor scooters to get to the 7/11 down the road.
We had a special spa treatment that was about $200AUD for the two of us for 2 hours. This is quite expensive for Koh Lanta. The treatment was competent and relaxing, but I wouldn't do it again.
The fitness centre/Gym was poorly equipped and the air-conditioning did not work properly.
Also you have to purchase wireless internet access in 30 minute segments, not cheap and not convenient.
In summary, I might stay at Rawi Warin again, but there are many options now on Koh Lanta. Staying high on the hill or during high season would not be very pleasant and I would recommend the upgrade to a Pond Room, I do like the look of the Pool Villas, but cannot justify the price difference.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Malaysia
Reviewed 21 February 2010

Front desk staff - RUDE
Be careful when check out and settle by credit card. The hotel is charge you at your home currency (WITH UNFAVOURABLE EXCHANGE RATE) without offering to settle in Thai Bath but what they told is 'this is JUST SHOWN in the slip, DON'T WORRY, we charge you at Thai Bath'. You will noticed been cheated by them when you received your credit card statement.
The management should RETRAIN the front desk staff in order to retain the goodwill - Otherwise ????

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank LIM085
A Small Island in the Northwest.
Reviewed 15 February 2010

We stayed here 2 years ago, and had a wonderful stay, and so decided to return this year for 12 nights....the place is looking a bit run down these days, and the price of our room was DOUBLE what it was two years ago! Also no more free internet, although wireless is available for a price, in your room. The pool area is thankfully one of the nicest features of the hotel, and given the rockiness of the beach out front, that helps. HOWEVER, if you don't "stake a claim" on a lounge chair before breakfast, you're out of luck...they run out of chairs fast.

The rooms are still beautiful, most with good views, and great bathrooms. The breakfast buffet is HUGE, lots of fresh fruit, and interesting entrees. Dinners are HORRIBLY overpriced, and most guests simply go next door to the Lanta Palace Hotel restaurant, or across the road to the Lanta Arm Restaurant, both places are really reasonable, the food is really good, and especially at the Lanta Arm, quite possibly some of the best Thai food on Koh Lanta! The staff are the shining stars here, really friendly and helpful!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Sandefjord
Reviewed 11 February 2010

We first heard about The Rawi Warin Resort & Spa some years ago - some friends of us had visited and could not praise it enough - food, service, rooms, surroundings was a "You-have-to-go-there"-experience. So, after having been to Thailand a few times, we decided to see Koh Lanta, and remembered the hotel recommendation.
We booked it a couple of months in advance - and the mail correspondence was giving us good vibes. We booked a deluxeroom for two adults and one child, including breakfast and fresh fruits in the room. As there would be three of us, our contact at the hotel suggested we´d book a twinbed room (with two separate beds, instead of one kingsize bed). They could even assist us with pick up from Krabi airport - which was a really good thing, hence we would not have to find a taxi and hassle a price after a long journey. We booked - and we paid in advance.
Reading the bankstatement, I noticed we had been charged for a higher amount than we had agreed upon. It turned out they had double-charged us for the airport pickup, and it was very difficult to return the exceeding amount to us. So, we agreed to balance the amount with the money we would spend at the hotel. -Not a huge problem, but nevertheless a dent to our first impression.

We arrived one afternoon mid january, and were looking forward to five nights at a luxurious resort. The hotel has a beautiful location by the beach, a large planted area with a number of rooms in numerous buildings spread around. A large pond and pool area with the beach beneath.
The staff was awaiting us with fresh, cold towels and a cold drink - a most pleasant welcome after nearly three hours drive from the airport. We checked in, and were told that breakfast would be thb 325 extra for the child. I presented the letter of confirmation I had received, and pointed out the lines stating that breakfast was included for all three persons. Then I discovered the very poor language skills with the receptionstaff... I explained the content of the letter again and again, and finally they said "ok, ok.." I the back of my mind, there was a voice mentioning that this was probably not the last discussion regarding the breakfast..

As the rooms are spread around a quite large area, also a very steep hillside, we were taken to our room with a golfcart. (Smart!) Our room was up the hillside, and not on the groundfloor, but three floors up as well.. (I happily tipped the bellboy thb 150 for carrying up our suitcases!)
The room was nice at first sight, very spacious and with a good view. There was one large bed, a tv, coffeemaker, bathrobes for two, slippers for two, towels for two, and an emergency flashlight - (also very smart as the outside lighting is very poor, and it gets very dark when the sun goes down at around 6 pm) that did not work... Looking forward to be having a shower after our journey, I called the reception and asked for one more set of towels - and if they could also please bring the fruit that should have been in the room when we arrived. A little later the towels were delivered, but no fruit. Already being in a disgruntled mood, I decided to let the fruit go...

When looking closer, there was dust and sand in the corners, dark stains from an unknown substance several places around the bathroom - quite obvious that housekeeping have busy days, and need to skip some corners here and there... The good impression was not so good any more.

Clearly, they weren´t prepared for our arrival.
Not did we get the fruit ordered (we did the next day, though), nor did we get towels for the number of persons booked and paid for (we actually had to order the extra towels every day even though we had booked five nights..), and nor did we get the room we booked - we got a kingsize instead of a twinbed (which they in fact had recommended us!)
Off with a bad start, but we still had set our minds on having a great time!
After a nights sleep, we were off for breakfast (I am not going to say a good nights sleep, because the beds are really hard and uncomfortable, like many other beds in Thailand...). And when finishing breakfast, I had to sign for the breakfast. "Which we have already paid for," I stated. "Yes, yes it is just for accounting," I was told. Fine. I knew this was going to be an issue, but decided not to do anything more about it before we were to check out.

The pool looks very nice at pictures and even in real life. But the water is mucky, and it does not appear to be cleaned often - or often enough.
The beachfront is nice, but look out - the part of the beach that belongs to the hotel is the rockiest and least groomed part of the entire beach. (But then again, the hotel does not seem to make any efforts to improve it.) So if You want to go for a swim, use the floating dock to avoid all the corals and stones (You will see them clearly on low tide) or walk further down along the beach 5-10 mins where the conditions are much better. And use the sunbeds by the pool instead of the beach to avoid the rubble, stones and glass splinters in the sand.

We had some nice days at Koh Lanta, and found that from what the other hotels looked like, we had actually chosen a better one.
So here a few things to bear in mind if Your´e planning to go to Lanta;
The island does not have a variety of entertainment to offer, nor shopping. Electricity conditions are unstable and there is no road lighting so be advised to bring a pocket torch. The locals speak poor english in general, and seem fed up with tourists. -Not that there really are a lot of tourists on the island at all. (Swedes dominate the island, you even have restaurants with swedish menues etc, not very charming). The local attitude towards tourists is in no way typical for the thai friendliness, helpfulness and service mentality. As most locals are muslim, there are many mosques - also in the tourist areas, so You must anticipate some disturbance from these.
If You want to make an excursion, our tip is the small shop just across the road from the hotel, "Lanta Sunset Tour" - nice guy who actually speaks good english and have fair prices. (Koh Rok full day snorkelling with water and lunch: 1200 baht, elephant trekking half day thb 950.)

Eating out is not a problem - just make sure You have plenty of time. It takes time to get the food served, and we never experienced to be served at the same time, regardless of which restaurant we visited... Prices are good - at Lanta Seafood (in "town") we had parrotfish, red snapper, squid, chicken curry, 2 beers, 3 sodas, 2 pancakes and 1 sundae : 1020 baht.
We never had dinner at the hotel, so I won´t say anything about the quality of food here. We had breakfast and some lunches, and they were ok. - Only the waiters did not speak english and would apparently have had a much better day without tourists nagging for food and drinks... The prices at the hotel were apprx twice as expensive as the restaurants in the area, drinks about four times as expensive. (Buy Your room-refreshments at 7/11 for thb 14 instead of the 50++ minibar price..)
We did not try the hotel Spa either. The identical treatment they offer for thb 2000, You get on the hotel next door for thb 400...

You might want to say: "What on earth are You complaining about, You do know You were staying at five star luxury hotel?!"
Well, that is my point; only the prices of the hotel resembles five stars. -Lack of maintenance, poor outdoor cleaning, poor service, poor language skills, poorly cleaned rooms, etc makes Rawi Warin deserve no more than 3 stars and should be priced accordingly.

And as expected, when checking out we were presented with a bill that exceeded our actual balance with thb 8150! After several discussions, explaining the staff the content of their confirmation letter to us, describing to them what we had already paid for, that they had overcharged us and actually owed us money, sorting out what items on the bill we should pay and not pay for - we ended up with a total charge of thb 158... Which, might I add, also was the correct amount..

So, unfortunately this will be a once in a lifetime experience to us. Would I recommend this hotel to a friend? Not really.
But to be fair I´d like to put this way;
If You have already decided to go to Koh Lanta, and are 100% sure You want to go there, then why not try to stay at Rawi Warin? You may experience it different from us.
-If, on the other hand, You are considering going to Koh Lanta and to stay at Rawi Warin, I would say: Don´t go there.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family