“Great location and friendly family”
Review of Lom La Lanta

Lom La Lanta
Ranked #13 of 146 Ko Lanta B&B and Inns
Poole, England, United Kingdom
“Great location and friendly family”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

After several months of being on the road, we were so delighted with Lom La Lanta that we stayed nearly three weeks.

The location is superb! Long beach is five minutes walk from the guesthouse, Seven Eleven and a few local bars and restaurants. You can also rent mopeds from the guesthouse and explore the rest of the island. We took a moped out a few times, they are in good condition and helmets are provided. We loved Long Beach though... it was cleanest stretch of beach on Lanta and we could always find a quiet spot.

The rooms are spacious, clean and have large patio doors opening onto balconies. The curtains are great... Unlike many guesthouse they are thick, almost black out curtains, which stop the morning sunlight waking you too early.

Wifi is good, but you have to remember you are on Lanta Island. So, whilst it works well most of the time, occasionally the Internet on the island drops off.

We had some laundry done through the guesthouse twice. The first batch was perfect, very clean and smelled gorgeous. However, when the second batch was returned, one of my tops was missing and I had another persons top. They were a similar style so I can see that it was a mix up. Unfortunately, Lom La Lanta were unable to retrieve my top from the laundry they use, so I was down a top. This is the only disappointing comment we have about the guesthouse. I really wanted to give it a 5/5 but cannot as a result of this.

I would definitely recommend staying at Lom La Lanta. It's great value and the family are lovely!

Room Tip: All the rooms are new and there are no ground floor rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2014

This is a bit of a long review, so I thank you in advance for taking the time to read it. If you are planning a trip to Ko Lanta, you might find some of the information here quite useful.
I've been writing a lot of hotel reviews during my current Asia trip, and I need to point out right off the bat that when I rate a property, I always do so based on the price paid. If you look at the last property I reviewed here a couple of days ago, a hotel located very close to Lom La Lanta, you will see that the owner there was not happy at all with my rating and my comments, and she wrote a diatribe that was actually longer than my review. In spite of that other property being not bad at all, I rated it average and am rating Lom La Lanta very good. Why? Well, for one thing, I paid half the price here that I paid at the other place. And, contrary to what the owner of the other property is claiming in her response to me, I do believe that when reviewing a hotel, you should focus on things that matter in a hotel: cleanliness, comfort of the bed and furniture, amenities (like A/C and Wi-Fi), as well as kindness and professionalism of the staff. When reviewing a bar, sure the atmosphere and the people matter more, but the hotel business has everything to do with making someone feel like they haven't left the comfort of their own home, and these things are usually reflected in tangible stuff like a good mattress, good sound insulation, clean premises, a usable and pleasant bathroom, and a convenient way to keep in touch with loved ones and, for some, their workplace (that's where a good Internet connection comes in). The other place had a very uncomfortable mattress that was way too hard - and if you cannot get the bed right, then the rest hardly matters, unless you choose to lower your rates to account for the lack of comfort.
This brings me to Lom La Lanta. I was in room number 5 on the first floor (there are five more rooms on the second floor), the room furthest away from the road, a road which tends to be really noisy during the day but not so much at night, so room number 5 is probably the best choice on that floor. The mattress was really big (probably a King Size?) and really comfortable too, with a nice thick duvet on top. I was so pleasantly surprised by this, especially given the rock hard bed I had to sleep in at my previous, more expensive hotel (see my separate review on Mook Lanta here on tripadvisor). I also liked very much their bathroom, really clean and modern with good water pressure and hot water, their quiet, modern A/C unit, their thick curtains that let you sleep in late if you like to, as well as the large balcony with a small table and two comfortable chairs. One thing I didn't appreciate about my room though was the cement floor with all those red stains that looked like... urgh, blood. They should probably do something about those floors to give them a cleaner appearance.
If I'd have to suggest potential improvements, I'd say clean up the immediate surroundings to make the place more attractive (see the two pictures I posted as part of this review), and increase the capacity of your Wi-Fi connection to provide for at least two devices per room plus whatever you need for the staff there. Right now, if a certain number of devices are already connected to the Internet, you will not be able to connect yourself until someone logs off from the Internet or shuts down their device. Somebody who was staying at Lom La Lanta told me this, and I tested it: I was already connected to their Wi-Fi on my iPhone but could not connect on my MacBook. Logged off the Internet on my iPhone and was able to connect immediately with my MacBook – then tried to connect with my iPhone again but got the error message I was getting on my computer before (“Impossible/Unable to join lomlalanta”).
And now that I know this, I recognize that this has probably been happening to me a lot in various hotels on Ko Lanta. I assume Internet providers here choose to limit the number of simultaneous connections to their network rather than slow down the speed if too many users are connected at the same time. In other words, it is first come, first served, and once you are connected you usually are good for a while. Strikes me funny now, since the owner of the last place I stayed at brags in her response to my review that she was on the Internet all day and night without a problem while I was staying in the bungalow right next to her, unable to do much with their Internet. Makes a lot of sense now!
Anyway, I really think Lom La Lanta offers exceptional value for the money, and although the staff seemed rather shy to me and with limited English language skills, I'd stay here again next time I'm looking for a cheaper alternative on the island, especially if they fix their Internet capacity issue. Thank you for a very enjoyable and affordable stay!
PS- The beach around this part of the island is not as pleasant as Klong Dao beach if you enjoy long walks on the beach or swimming in the ocean - very rocky and not easy to navigate.
PPS- For great Thai food, just go to the little restaurant across the street - you can read my (very short) review on Tathata here on tripadvisor.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Marc M
Ventnor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed here Dec 2013,and also Mar 2014. It's a new build, so every thing is working - except the TV.Good size rooms,comfortable beds and a large bathroom with a great shower. The owners are a lovely family and very helpful. It's right on the main road but traffic noise wasn't too bad. Nice big balconies, to sit and watch Lanta go by.The only down side is they don't clean the room's every day - unless you ask!

Room Tip: Go for a room away from the road
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank chrisandwendy_12
Sedgefield
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Just had a 5 night stay here and found it very good.
Newly built apartments with balcony facing jungle but not far from the beach.
Quite near the road but double glazed doors so noise on an evening
Only opened in November so nice and new.
Good sized room and generous bathroom with good shower.
Family owners are very friendly and helpful.
Few teething problems with television etc., but overall a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: We had an upstairs room with balcony.Avoid the very end room near the road Have both fan and air co...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank PatsySedgefield
Bristol
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

I can't describe how nice and helpful the new staff are here! I am very confused by the review below! Me and my boyfriend stayed here for a week. It is extremely clean and in a perfect place near long beach! The room has TV, fridge is very spacious with a balcony and a bathroom that doesn't turn into a swimming pool!.. The staff were so helpful, we first booked an AC room (1200 thb) and decided to move to fan (800 thb) to budget and they were so willing to accommodate this (fan room is hot so if you are not used to this I would book an AC room), we were originally going to stay here nearly 2 weeks and the brother and sister who work here gave us a discounted stay! Also when we had to leave in an emergency they did not hesitate to give us a refund for the room and the bike we rented from them! (The bike 200 thb a day -standard price). If you want a friendly, new, clean, good location, good value for money hotel then stay here. Just to prove this is a real review the only things I can complain about is that you have to ask for clean towels and toliet paper when you need it (may be because just opened) and ferry ticket is more expensive to buy in hotel!
If you do book here there is a nice beach down a slip by 7-11, or if you have a moped come out of the hotel and turn right to get to long beach (and on the way irish embassy- good for food and drinks and football) or turn left for mushroom bar etc but beach there is rocky! There is a restaurant called the tavern near there that does perfect western food.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Jaffacake0708
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My friend and I stayed at Lom La Lanta recently and we had a great time!!! Maria the owner made sure we were ok at all times and really looked after us. The rooms are top quality with A/C and the bathrooms are HUGE with a western toilet. ...and the shower is AWESOME! The room itself is a decent size aswell. The towels were even folded beautifully! Literally so close to everything and across the road there is a very helpful tourist information, the man that runs the tourist information is very honest with his customers and can rent motor bikes from. Definately going to return to this place!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

My partner & I stayed here for over 3 weeks.
The place had just opened & we were one of the first few customers.
Good sized room with great facilities including sat TV, fridge, air con & large balcony for a very reasonable price. Great location as its only 2 min walk away from long beach & local amenities.
There were a few minor teething problems with the building as it was brand new but were all resolved during our stay.
What made the stay extra special was the excellent service by all the staff at Lom La Lanta!
We had dinner there on many occasions as the Thai food was exceptionally good & great value!
We will definitely return next time we are in Lanta!
Very happy customers!