“Best hotel I have stayed at in Thailand!!”

Maya Koh Lanta Resort
Ranked #19 of 146 Ko Lanta B&B and Inns
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Best hotel I have stayed at in Thailand!!”
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We had a brilliant stay at Maya. As we arrived we were greeted by 2 friendly staff who rushed to take our baggage from us. The level of service was superb during the entire stay.

The room was large and modern and better than we expected. Views from the rooms are great and the pool is right on the beach.

We will definitely return to this hotel.

Not the cheapest hotel but it is worth every penny.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank jasonrademan

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Finnish first
Vaale
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Maye Hotel is located just by the beach. Very nice location. We ordered a "suite" (big room) and just beside this room there was water coming down between MAYA and the hotel beside, this did not small very nice..
The room was clean, spacious, bathroom very nice, the overall impression is a very nice hotel.
The staff was quite untrained as they forgot a lot when we ordered, delivered wrong drinks/food at some occasjons, but it was anly smiles and they are very nice, so a small problem.
No one ate at the hotel exept breakfast, wich was nice, omelet and bacon, thai food, and a lot of fruit.. Very nice.. But lunch and dinner was obviously not anything the hotel was interessted in either because they did not try to "catch" their gueasts to eat there, so all went out on the beach eating other places.. So we have no knowledge about these meals at MAYA..
There was mosquitis here, and after we noticed, we asked the reception, and THEN!! they came with some protection for the room. This they could told us in beforehand so that we did not have to get all these bites....
But overall this is a hotel we would go back to, especially because og the location and nice people..
And the beach is just wonderful, as the part of Koh Lanta as we experienced. this is just one of the best places to be when you need to relax..

Room Tip: ASk for room facing the pool, then you will have a very nice view over the ocean..
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SteinMobalpa
Reviewed 15 November 2011

The deluxe room is of a good size with a big bathroom. The design of the hotel is modern compared to the hotels nearby. However , there seems a mismatch of the room furniture to the exterior look of the hotel as the room furniture looks dated and there are chip offs. This is not acceptable in view of the price the hotel is charging.

The pool is right next to the beach and provides a magnificent view.

We had some light lunch at the restaurant which offered nice seafood fried rice and Tom yam Kung. The prawns and squids were very fresh.

As we were going to Ko Lanta from Aonang and it was our first visit, I have checked with the hotel if there was a pickup service from Saladan pier and was informed there was no such service.(I have booked directly via the hotel website) What puzzled me was that our helpful tour agent in Aonang actually told us it should not be the case and managed to arrange for the hotel pickup for us. I was doubtful of the arrangement until we arrived at Ko Lanta and was actually picked up by the hotel staff. I wondered if the staff corresponding with me did not understand my request or the booking was actually handled by their agent.

• Stayed November 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We booked through agoda and found that the booked view room unavailable at check in so they put us in the room looking through the restaurant. The rooms are spacious and modern although none of the windows open for fresh air so the room feels cool and damp after 2 days. The restaurant is totally overpriced for average quality and boring cooking ( especially for Thailand) ...and very weak drinks. Staff are disinterested in any issues and after 2 days we changed to a better place in Klong Nin beach with more authentic food, prices and less generic feel. The place is well suited for the first timer to Thailand, 40-60 crowd , who doesn't want to get much of feel from what they would get back home in a standard 3 star hotel.

Room Tip: Upstairs has the rooms with privacy and view..downstairs forget it.
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2010

I have just come back from Koh Lanta and thought I would write a review. If you are looking for a beach type of holiday like I was, then I would stay at another Hotel, but if you are not bothered about the beach then this hotel is fine.
I did lots of research before booking the hotel Maya and the reason I booked this one even though it was pricey compared to others, was it is on the beach front and all rooms have a sea view.
It is on the beach front, but its not actually on the sand. There is no chairs or beds on the beach, as they are all around the pool, so bang went my idea of having breakfast on the beach with sand between my toes...Robinson C styley.
Also the beach is not the best beach as the first day we walked left onto beach and there are rocks and we soon ended up in the middle of even more rocks and rubbish all over the place. This maybe the reason they keep beds etc round the pool. My idea of Koh lanta was to actually spend it on the beach.
If you go to the next beach Pra hae (long beach and my favourate klong Nin beach further south) there is plenty of beach action as all restaurants and bars have beds or table and chairs on beach and most have bungalows, so you can eat breaky and evening dinner with sand between your toes, listening to the waves breaking on the shore.
We hired a bike as it was working out expensive in a tuk taxi about £12-16 rtn to klong Nin beach about 30 mins away, and spend most days and nights at Klong nin beach and also went to view point and south from there.
I guess it depends what you are looking for? The Hotel in its self was exactly what it says on the tin. I use Best western alot in london so maybe I was looking for something different on koh lanta, so this is no reflection on the hotel, more my pick of choice. We had also just arrived after staying on Phi Phi on a quiet beach (away from the noisey end) in a stilted bungalow right on the beach with a breathless view of the sea and there restaurant and bar were all set out on the sand so didnt even have to put your flip flops on to walk down to enjoy breakfast/dinner and drinks from bar and we enjoyed that very laid back chill out feel on the sea shore, so thats why we were disappointed when we got to maya on koh lanta and realized I had not booked what I exactly thought it was.
My advice when traveling is dont book too much as you find you may change your mind a lot and if you have booked and paid for all your hotels you are pretty much stuck. Next time I would book, it as I go along. All the places we stayed in have internet. I was worried as it was peck season but I shouldnt have been worried as there were lots of places not booked up to stay in.
Also another tip, a lot of really good cheap restaurants are not advertised on trip adviser or internet, so be adventrous....we found some really nice ones but they are not set up for internet, otherwise I would of written good reviews.
We did eat at some advertised on tripadviser or internet and found them busy and a bit more expensive than some of the others, but it does vary.
Hotel..
The pros are..
Nice modern rooms over 2 floors
All have sea view
Staff were lovely
Nice pool
Near to get to ferry and shops in village
Can watch dvd's from reception
Can hire books from reception

Cons are..
The beach was very disapointing.
The superior rooms are north facing so yes you can see beach, but no sun on balcony.
Pricey

Hope this helps
H

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank Hayjus40
beijing
Reviewed 13 November 2010

We have been there 3 days. The staff is very friendly, and the room is very clean.
It's very fit that you take a holiday and relaxeation with your family.
You can lay back around the hotel's pool and the bacony, look at the sea and the people on the beach.
It's better if the price can be down.
We enjoy the time in the resort very much.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank guobinfu0828
Cape Town
Reviewed 10 November 2010

Maya Lanta is a small hotel, 19 rooms. The rooms are huge and immaculately clean. Aircon works great. Free DVD's from reception. Choose what you want for breakfast. This hotel is right on the beach, if you sit in the pool you look directly onto the sand and sea. Nice friendly staff who couldn't do enought for you. We would definately recommend this hotel to anybody. Eat at Saladan Market and also at FAT MONKEY, Will is a great host and makes great food. Lots of nice little shops along the way. If you feel like a burger one day, go to the Flip Flop Restaurant. The Thai food on Koh Lanta is great, didn't have one bad meal. Loved it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple