“Oh my goodness no!”

Ranked #71 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Los Angeles, California
“Oh my goodness no!”
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Ko lanta is very oversold in the high season. So do yourself a favor and book ahead if you come to the island in high season. Otherwise you may be forced to stay here as I did. And you won't like it. I always like to start with the pros, so here goes. They rented me an awesome new motorbike. They also have super friendly front desk staff.

Now on to the cons. Not the cutest beach in Ko Lanta. Their restaurant was the worst I tried. They negotiated the price for me but I later found out I still overpaid. And the worst part, the room. Super hard bed, big non fluffy pillow, a shower head that only half worked, a shower drain that never ever drained, not even overnight. And the final issue? I was woken up at night with noise on the roof. It went on for 30 minutes. I figured it was a monkey. In the AM, I said to the front desk lady, a monkey kept me up. She said, monkey? I said, yes, on the roof. She said, we don't have monkeys on Ko Lanta. She thought for a moment and said... Oh, it was a rat. We have lots here on Lanta. Really? I've been here a week and the only be I heard was at Lanta Pavilion.

So No, whatever you do, no. Look elsewhere, sleep on the beach. You'll be more comfortable, promise!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank TravelinShane
hawaiian9, Manager at Lanta Pavilion Resort, responded to this review, 10 March 2013
I am sorry this customer did not enjoy his stay. He stayed in one of our newer bungalows with a brand new bed and pillows. We had never had a complaint about our beds before this, at least in the 4 years I've been here. I looked at the new bed in this room and found it to be of the same quality as the rest. The pillows are a bit firm and I will get some new ones so people can choose. The restaurant is one of the most popular on the beach, but I realize that it is not always up to Western standards. The Thai food is very consistantly good but the European food is not always what we would expect Keep in mind also that Southern Thai food is different than Bangkok food. Some like it and some don't. There are lots of monkeys here. It is difficult to control their behavior and they can be cheeky. They usually stick to the hills and rarely venture into the resort. When they do, it is usually to pilfer food. It is quite possible that one or two got on the roof and made noise. No way to keep monkeys from doing what they please, short of trapping them or killing them which no one does here. The island is indeed full during the peak season so by all means book early. As we fill up before most, it is unlikely that people end up here at the last minute. Most enjoy their stay. The bad reviews we get are usually because someone is upset with the service. The staff here are not trained to Western standards, though we do make an effort. Again, I am sorry that some are not satisfied. We do try. Remember that this is a tropical island and has only been developed for a few years. Short of importing staff, we have to make the best of dealing with locals who are not always as well trained as we would like.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Colico
Reviewed 15 February 2013

We were in Lanta Pavilion for 2 weeks in Nov-Dec 2012. We booked online. They pick you up from the pier to the resort. The bungalow was very very simple and rude but good for pice and position. Cleaning ok but sometimes they forgot to leave clean towels. Wi-fi works only sometimes. Breakfast is included, there are coupons with a list of breakfasts and you can choose what you prefere; i find complicate this system, i prefer breakfast buffet. Beach and sunset are wonderful. There are rocks in the sea and if you don't pay attention you can get hurt. We rent a scooter for one day: new scooter, good price 250baht. On the beach there are a lot of bars and restaurants, my favourite is Casa Mi Bar: typical, clean and very good food and price(and also wi-fi)!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 13 February 2013

We came to stay for only one night. We were promised a deluxe room, but ended up close to the road and furthest away possible to the beach. Not very 'deluxe'. The room was clean though a cockroach was observed. The biggest problem at this place is the service. The woman at the reception is not very helpful, in fact you feel like a burden when approaching her for service. When we first came to the resort she just gave us the key. That was it. We had tons of luggage, didn't know where the bungalow was. Help your self.

The restaurant is OK, but the food was given to us at different times. When I was finished eating, then my girlfriend got her food. And it took quite some time before we got the food.

We travelled with our 9 months old daughter and asked if we could get the baby bottles cleaned. No problem, except when we came and asked for them 4 hours later no one knew where they where. After some searching the bottles were found. Not cleaned of course.

Ca 21:30 someone knocked at our door. It was one of the bartenders claiming money for the night. For some reason it was not possible to pay the bar bill during checkout. Not very common, we have stayed at 5 other resorts on kho lanta. All of them we have payed the bar bill at check out.

The next day we were happy to leave. But this wasn't going to be easy. We were heading to Summer beach (300 meters down the road, same beach), and asked for a taxi. "Go to the road" said the woman at reception. Easy said with a 9 months old kid and lots of luggage. But we managed to ask one of the drivers at Pavilion. He wanted 200 baht for a drive where 20 baht would've been OK. So we called the resort we were going to. They picked us up for free 5 minutes later. That's service.

Stay away, we have so far stayed at places like summer beach, Sri lanta, relax bay. By far much better places. Same price or cheaper and you actually feel welcome.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ramone1983
hawaiian9, Manager at Lanta Pavilion Resort, responded to this review, 16 February 2013
Sorry this customer was unhappy. Let me clarify a few things. The rooms closer to the beach are "garden view' rooms. They are older and cheaper. The room this customer was in is our newest -- just completed with new furniture including a large flat screen TV. It ws indeed a "deluxe" room. There are pictures on the website so there shouldn't have been a surprise. Customers can request a room close to the beach, but we can not read minds. The bar is not part of Lanta Pavilion Resort, so we have no control over what they do other than cancelling their contract. The owners are Muslim as are most on the island and can not sell alcohol. We do not offer dish washing service, although the girls are usually happy to help, especially with babies, but as this was peak season, they were quite busy. I'm guessing that when this customer arrived, they did not understand when the receptionist told them to wait for someone to carry their bags. Sometimes this service can take a few minutes. There is no taxi anywhere on Koh Lanta that will take you anywhere for 20 baht. Our driver is sometimes usy and if you call for a taxi, it takes much longer than the 30 second walk from this customer's room to the road, which is full of taxis. The service on this island coould indeed be improved. The local standards are not the same as Western standards. Generally, the staff is quite helpful, but they can get flustered when very busy or if they feel insulted. We are working on this, but it is hard to change a culture and it is always hard to find employees on the island. Our staff have improved since I have been here, but are still far from perfect. Give them a smile and they will usually go out of their way to help, but if too demanding, you might get a cold shoulder. I appreciate customers pointing out areas where we can improve. Most are quite happy now and most of our bad reviews are quite old. We rae trying!

Travellers are raving about these Ko Lanta hotels

Barnt Green, Birmingham
Reviewed 9 February 2013

We stayed at this resort for 7 days with mixed feelings. Good stuff - location excellent lots of choice of restaurants, beautifully sunsets, grounds of lanta pavilion are lovely and they spend lots of time making it nice, bike hire at 250 baht a day very good, lady in reception on the whole friendly and helpful, accomodation we were in the older bungalows although tatty was fine by thai standards for the price, house keeping ladies were lovely and friendly.

Negatives - breakfast bordering on dismal but this has already been mentioned and responded by Joe we decided to have breakfast elsewhere last 4 days as some mornings it was cold and inedible, the guys running the bar were occasionally irritating with their stupid antics totally oblivious to the guests on more than one occasion just being load and annoying not very professional and again before you respond Joe we brought this to your attention whilst we were there. My ipad would not work and noticed lots of other people had same trouble but walking 2 restaurants down worked fine so this was a big problem when trying to organise next accomodation .

In conclusion and overall not a bad resort but could be a great resort with a bit more thought and understand that Joe is trying to iron out a few of the problems hope this honest review from experienced travellers helps others.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank harley573
hawaiian9, Manager at Lanta Pavilion Resort, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
I remember our discussion. I have had a meeting with the chef and we will change to a breakfast menu from which customers can choose. I'm not sure I'll bother talking to the bar staff. That bar is rented to the boys by the season because we are owned by Muslims and not alowed to sell booze. These boys will be gone next year. I might run it myself! I am trying to figure out the wi-fi issues. 90% of devices have no problem but 10% can not use it. I'll have a techie around soon. I do try to solve problems here, but it's not always easy with the local culture being what it is. The owner will see this and other reviews and I wil push him to act. Glad you enjoyed your stay other than the mentioned issues.

Joe
Reviewed 6 February 2013 via mobile

The resort looks quite nice abd the resort area arround is clean. Only the pool could be nicer abd also quality of water in pool was not so clean when we stayed there. Pls make quality of water in pool better. Our room was clean but in the night was very loud from music until late night, we stayed at one if the last rooms close to the reception. It would be a great bebefit if lanta resort guests would have free wifi in the whole hotel area and not only in the front or restaurants. I mean for this prices the most of them have free wifi for their guests at any time. One little thing which i found in the corner if the room is mould and this is very dangerous for your own health. Pls look at your rooms and remove the mould this is not good and not healty for your guests. I really would choose lanta resort again, it was very nice there abd the staff at front desk was always very kind and helpful.

• Stayed January 2013
hawaiian9, Manager at Lanta Pavilion Resort, responded to this review, 7 February 2013
We've had problems with the pool several times this season. I'm not quite sure why s it is usually crystal clear even in the low season. We have the pool man come arounf straught away if there is a problem, but it can take a day or two to clear up. I think it might be too much sun tan oil in the water. Anyway, it's fine now. I guess he cleans the filter more often. Thanks for pointing out the mold problem. We will have the rooms inspected and fixed up, and will do a renovation in the low season. We are considering free wi-fi in the rooms. I have suggested it to the owner. Last your it was 100 baht for 90 minutes and now it's 100 baht a day. Still. many places are free and I will try to convince him to offer free wi-fi next season. Thanks for your suggestions and compliments.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 7 nights and as we booked 3 nights separately we had 2 different rooms (we got upgraded for free to deluxe for the second one, nice touch). Careful... WiFi is not free of charge if you want it in your room (700 bhat/week) but free in the restaurant and near reception.

The rooms: clean, spacious with all commodities (fridge, a/c, soap and shampoo, drinking water but no safe). All "bungalows" have a lovely terrasse with table and chairs. We had glass windows. The second room was better than the first room which had lots of mosquitoes. We also happened to see a cockroach in the first room (a15) but it was our fault... We left a plastic bag full of leaked shampoo and the floor... The second room was further from the beach and close to the road but it was new and much better (no mosquitoes, no cockroaches), it was room B2. Rooms are cleaned everyday and we had no noise issue whatsoever...it's definitely worth taking a deluxe (way better than superior, and I thin standard don't have a/c or glass windows)

Hotel location: right on the beach, very pleasant. The beach has a lot of rocks though and check the tide! When it's low tide walk 5 minutes on the beach and you can find a place without rocks (opposite the emerald hotel)or use the small but nice swimming pool. Also we could always find a beach chair to sit in.To go out it is a bit more complicated as it's a bit isolated: if you want to go to the old Town it is quite expensive, but a bit cheaper to go to saladan village (go to lanta seafood reataurant there, it's amazing).

Staff: friendly, but a bit slow.

Breakfast: not included but they have plenty of choice. The set breakfast are not necessarily great so we ordered from the menu (almost same price). The food in this restaurant is generally great... Do try the bbq white snapper with tamarind sauce for dinner, it won't disappoint! Best fish eaten in Thailand. Be prepared to wait though, service is long and can sometimes be flaky...take some playing cards and the issue is solved. They also do a lovely banana shake.

All in all I definitely recommend this hotel!

Excursions: don't book at the hotel, just cross the road where you'll find a small tourist information office. The owner is super nice, genuinely cared about our opinion (we did 2 excursions and he waited for us both times to ask whether we liked it or not) and he also offers cheaper prices. Would recommend doing a speedboat excursions (opal), it's more expensive but well worth it, more professional and better organised than in long tail boat. We did 4 islands excursions in long tail and phiphi in speedboat.

Room Tip: If you don't mind being further away from the beach ask for the newly refurbished rooms (b2 and...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
So glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Our aim is to make our customers happy and we try our best to get feedback about tours etc. so we can chose the best ones. We are lucky to have a very good chef! Sorry about the mozzies and bugs. This is the tropics and one speck of food will bring ants in quickly. Mosquitoes only are active at dawn and dusk, so if you are careful to keep your door closed at these times, you should be able to keep them out. Check the room before you sleep to flush out any mozzies and kill them or they will buzz you all night. Our staff will happily help. The roaches here do not infest houses. They live in the jungle and only get into houses by accident. Still, they are very ugly so contact the staff if you see one. Unfortunately, if one gets in, others might follow so make sure it is put out! With a littl care, your room should be bug free.
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2013

We stayed here mid December and are a family of 5, with adult children. Prior to our stay Joe the contact we made was fantastic and very very helpful even arranging a free collection from the boat Pier, he was great.
We had high expectations and were very pleased when we arrived, our rooms were lovely the people very friendly. This was our last Island stop and during our trip it became clear to us that our son and daughter would be better sharing than our two daughters (due to them staying out late at night) they were great and rearranged our rooms to suit our new arrangement.
The meals we ate in the evening were great, compliments to the chef, and the waiter was brilliant, he made us smile and was full of fun. Breakfast - that's a bit odd, a set menu that didn't really suit our requirements, I do think they would be better having an open choice, it doesn't have to be buffet but to choose what you wanted rather than a set menu would be better.
The beach is nice, but it is rocky so not for all, we went for some lovely evening strolls and there were places to pop in for a drink or two. It is a quiet, perhaps too so for our children although they did find a full moon party to attend. It was a bit difficult for me as I cannot sit in the sun and there was nowhere to sit on the beach that had shade, prior to booking we checked this and it did seem that this would be available. As a party of 5 we were able to get chairs on the beach, a mismatch of deck chairs, sun loungers and a plastic garden type chair, but I could see this being an issue if they were really busy.
The only down side for me was trying to arrange to go out and about. As I had corresponded with Joe I asked where I could find him to book some outings and was told he was off sick. The lady would help me. However, after answering her mobile mid conversation, getting up and walking away and generally not listening or seeming interested, I walked away to go get my things and find somewhere else to help me organise the trips we wanted to do. She did eventually come after me and I told her I was going to find someone who was interested in helping me, finally she did help but I do feel that we missed out a little as she wasn't very clued up.
Would I stay again, Yes we would as a couple but the kids found it a bit too quite.
Tip - If you want to get out and about sort it before you get there or hope that Joe is well.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
After a rather lengthy sick leave, I am back! Sorry the staff didn't seem overly eager to help you. They work long hours (Thai style) and get tired and are not always smiley and helpful. They usually are though and you can tell it's genuine, They just can't always maintain the smile when they are tired. I have tried training but it's hard to change a culture! Now that I am back, guests can always ask the receptionist to call me any time and I can be there in a minute. We have bought some new beach chairs and umbrellas, but there isn't always space if all 36 rooms decide to be out at the same times. This rarely happens and the beach can seem almost deserted even in the high season.