“Beautiful - but don't ask them for a taxi anywhere”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Lanta Garden Home

Lanta Garden Home
Ranked #127 of 208 Speciality Lodging in Ko Lanta
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful - but don't ask them for a taxi anywhere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2010

We spent one night here after wanting to stay on Klong Dao beach. The young girl, called On, whose family owned the bungalows approached us on the ferry when we got on at Koh Phi Phi. She was very nice and polite and helped us with anything we needed. The hotel was fantastic with an infinity pool and a great bar and a restaurant with lovely food. We stayed in one of the top rooms which was practically on the beach. It was fully air conditioned and had a bath, which was surprising. We wanted to spend the next night on the south of the island so I asked On if we could get a taxi to the south whichw as 20km away. She said it wasn't a problem and that her father would take us. When i asked how much it was she told me it would be the equivalent of £20 which iw as very shocked by. She explained that the road only only goes half way and then there is a dirt track which is very difficult to navigate. So I took her word for it and paid the money and off we went. We were in an open back truck and when we got to the dirt road we were covered in dust from head to toe...our clothes were ruined! When we wanted to go back to the ferry terminal in the north the next day I was ready to fork out another £20 but the owners of Bamboo Bay bungalows where we stayed that night said it was included in our ferry ticket we had purchased which was no different to the ferry ticket we had purchased to get from Koh Phi Phi to ko lanta. I realised then that sadly that nice young girl had ripped us off.

Also, the top rooms are very nice for around £30 a night but the restaurant is above it and at about 6am they start moving the tables and chairs around so it gets a little noisy.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scattie

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Finnish first
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

Got to Lanta without rservations and wanted beach front, a/c and a pool at a budget/moderate price and we got Lanta Garden home. We enjoyed our stay for the price as great location right on the beach and very nice smallish infinity pool. We felt very comfortable with the staff which was the entire family. We stayed 3 nights and rented a scooter from them for a week. Felt comfortable enough to leave my passport there as deposit so I'm not sure where the other bad karma comments are coming from. The rooms are basic and bathrooms sub standard but for the price it fit the bill. We would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank Wiggy78
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights in the large upstairs room overlooking the beach.
Pros :
Nice room overall
Good view

Cons :
Crap bathroom/toilet
No room cleaning in 3 days
Breakfest is a total joke
Untrustworthy owners
Fresh water for showers is intermittant

One night i complanied as there was no water pressure to have a shower,after aleady raising the issue before hand.
They said ' no problem give us 10 mins' so after about 20 mins i went to have a shower but still no water at all,so i went to see them only to discover they had closed up for the night and gone to bed.
Great service eh?

Cant really recomend this place to anyone,just avoid it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Dodgy-Davey

Travellers are raving about these Ko Lanta hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2009

We booked a room for 5 nights in another resort (namely Lanta Full Moon Resort, same owners apparently). However when we were picked up with a minivan that said 'Full Moon', we were taken to Garden Home instead (but they deliberately neglected to inform us) . We got suspicious when we got to this place, got our room, nowhere saw a name of the resort, room didn't match up to the pics on internet. Instantly we both had a very bad feeling, without being able to put our finger on it. We just knew this wasn't what we had booked. The staff were very unfriendly and gave us the creeps. We decided to ask where the pool was, to find out what the hell this place was, turned out there was no pool (the accommodation originally booked did) and only then they decided to tell us some lame story about our room in Lanta Full Moon being under construction and that we would have to stay here for the night. The room was in bad condition, we originally booked sea view but got a room all the way in the back no where near the beach, with a view on an ugly other apartment. They also kept asking us if they could go into our room to 'fix something' in the bathroom (the minute after we put our bags in the room), when we said 'no' the whole atmosphere turned around. We called our travel agent in Bangkok and had him speak to them, but they told him the same story. All I can say is that this place has bad karma, we didn't want to stay any longer and we didn't trust the staff. The usual Thai friendliness was nowhere to be found, these people are out to make money on tourists in a shady way. We went to a travel agent across the road and she booked a wonderful accommodation for that night (the next night Garden Home promised we would stay in Lanta Full Moon, as originally booked). We did however had to pay the extra costs to stay somewhere else, which was a bummer, but we were glad to do it to get away from this place. When we left Garden Home they became even unfriendlier and immediately went to 'check the room' as if we would have messed it up (we stayed there for about 1 hour, left 30 mins to book something else and didn't even unpack!!). All of a sudden no one spoke English anymore. We do absolutely not recommend this place, there is much nicer accommodation on the island for much less. The next day we found out that the whole story about the room in Lanta Full Moon being under construction was a lie (as we knew from the start), it was just overbooked. Bad karma, stay away from this place!

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Unfriendly staff, bad atmosphere, location
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Jakobstad
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2008

I read many reviews about this hotel/bungalow before we left and thought it would be a great location. The only good thing about this place is that it was on the beach. The staff seemed nice at first, but very soon they turned out to be dishonest and so eager for money. The rooms were not good, they were cleaned once during the whole week. The bathrooms awful. Do not recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed January 2008
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2008

In December 2007/Jan 2008 I traveled solo to Thailand and Cambodia, spending a chunk of my time on Lanta. I chose Garden Home because of its reasonable prices over the Christmas holiday, (which were still pricey) for beachfront/ac (about 45 USD per night). Upon arrival I was picked up free of charge and my room was ready. The staff was extremely friendly, room was clean albeit occupied by about 1000 mosquitoes (a few sprays of bug killer from the on-premises gift shop took care of that quickly). I did not have sea view room, rather one of the rooms in the back which was much quieter than the beachfront rooms. The attached Bomb bar was friendly and made great drinks and its staff made every attempt to make friends with a solo traveller. I extended my stay from 3 to 5 nights, the sunsets were spectacular and the location was perfect.

I will say that in my 5 nights there, my room was not cleaned once. Had I stayed any longer it would have been an issue. The food at the restaurant was just average; the seafood bbq place next door and other restaurants strewn along the beach were much better. Most mornings I walked up the road to the 7-11 and got yogurt and cereal there. Otherwise, a very pleasant time.

I have a hard time believing a room was broken into by staff from the previous entry. My experience was totally different.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — restaurant
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
THAILAND
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2008

I have stayed in lots of hostels & travelled alot & to be honest I have never stayed anywhere as bad as this. The staff that work there were so nice in the beginning & made friends with me & my boyfriend only to wake on the 4th night to find one of the staff had broken into my room while we were sleeping & trying to steel from us whilst another member of staff was on guard outside waiting for the treasure. Of course I was lucky enough to wake & they ran away when I screamed, the next day we made a big problem & suddenly nobody could talk good english anymore. I called the police & left immediately. I feel such a trauma from this & strongly recommend anyone who is considering this as accomodation to think twice. Also I dont think that any website should promote such an untrusty premises. May I also add that nobody was fired for they're actions & they found the whole thing quite amusing. Please respond to my feedback, I am very affected by this whole ordeal. Thank you.

• Liked — NOT A THING
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING WAS BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple