“DISAPPOINTING”
Review of Mook Lanta Resort

Mook Lanta Resort
Ranked #16 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We booked a standard room directly with the hotel. We were planning to stay 4 nights. When we arrived the room we were assigned was beyond basic. No bed side tables, dry paint stains all over (bed furniture, floor, chairs, plugs...) No wardrobe, only a bar with 4 old bent plastic hangers, the bathroom mat looked like it had been chewed by a dog, No proper window, only a mosquito net...we tried to get a luxury room but it was full, so we ended up staying one night and moved to NAKARA RESORT, on Long Beach for the rest of our stay. The beach next to the resort is nothing special, neither is the area surrounding it.

2  Thank CAROL1NA
DiverLis, Owner at Mook Lanta Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

It is true sometimes that you cannot please all the people all the time and I am afraid Carolina it is true here. We knew as soon as you arrived that you were unhappy and that is why, despite the fact that I fully explained to your husband that I only had a basic fan room left and he was happy to take that,, I had no problem in cancelling your booking and did not charge you a cancellation fee, even though it was even though it was well within my rights to do so.

I could tell from your delightful husband that you were not happy and in an effort to help the situation, even gave him one of my own personal Valentine's roses to give to you on Valentine's morning to make you feel better!

I hope your holiday improved from here,

Mellisa & Nick

There are newer reviews for Mook Lanta Resort

Reviewed 13 February 2014

After reading all of the glowing traveler reviews of Mook Lanta, I decided to book here. It was a great decision. Mellisa and Nick are wonderful hosts; the entire staff knows how to take care of the guests with a warm, personalized touch. I am a relatively high-strung city girl, so it was fantastic to have the gentle smiles and reminders to slow down and not fret about the little details. I was on island time! My bungalow was clean, the fan worked great and shower was always refreshing. (Some bungalows do have air-con, but I opted for a fan bungalow -- which was just fine for my purposes.) The resort is convenient to Long Beach and to some shops and restaurants in the neighborhood -- but I highly recommend renting a motorbike (250 baht per day) and exploring the island further afield. Go south for pristine beaches and more solitude; go north for the port city and touristy souvenir shopping. Koh Lanta is an uncrowded, un-commercialized island (at least relative to some others I visited in Thailand), a perfect place to sink into the rhythm of the beach and ocean.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Hi Erica

Thank you sweetie for such a lovely review, we loved having you here too (I never thought you were a high strung city girl!). I totally agree with you, a motorbike is the best way to see the island but you should always ask for some local advice on the best way to negotiate the roads.

Really hope you make a return trip but as a travel writer, I think that is unlikely ;-(

Love & hugs Mellisa & Nick

Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

The bungalow is very simple but has everything you need, including hot shower. The location is perfect- 1 minute from the beach. The breakfast is great.
The best thing is the owners, they are super nice and helpfull, and did above and beyond for us.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you Tal so much for such a lovely response, it makes this job so worthwhile when we get a review such as yours. Mellisa & Nick

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed at Mook Lanta for four days and had an excellent stay. We stayed in one of the basic fan bungalows. Location was great, very close to the beach. Breakfast included was great, and it had many choiced for an additional cost. Melissa was very friendly and gave us nice suggestion for some beautiful beached. I would recomment this resort to anyone staying in Koh Lanta. Thank you thank you thank you.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

No Tygrome76 Thank you thank you thank you. We always do our best to ensure you make the most of your stay on our beautiful island and so we are always happy to share our local hideouts and eateries that you might not find.
Thank you so much for this lovely review, Mellisa & Nick

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Melissa, Nick, Miao, and Jin (pretty sure I'm not spelling that right) and the staff are all so sweet. They create a really fun, sweet, laid back atmosphere. It was sweet seeing them just enjoy some beers and laugh together. We felt like we were staying as guests in someone's home the way they suggested fun things around the island, fed us breakfast, went diving/snorkeling with us, and provided great service while smiling and laughing all the while. The dogs around the resort also made it feel like a home. Bear in mind, this is not luxurious, per se-- we slept under a mosquito net and had a pink frog living in our bathroom (one of the non-AC'ed bungalows). But it was peaceful and beautiful. And the staff are what really made it a remarkable week to remember fondly.

Room Tip: Rooms without AC have a fan, which we found sufficiently comfortable at night. That saved us a ton o...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Mellisa B, Owner at Mook Lanta Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Oooh Samantha you are one of the most loveliest people I have ever met and I was so sad you could not go diving (but pleased you were pregnant!). If you return, with the baby, let me take you, as you dive instructor, for your first dive.

I totally agree with you, sometime people mistake our great reviews for a luxurious resort, which is not what we are. But if you are looking for somewhere with lovely staff, close to everything and people that care about you, I hope you agree, that is us.

Hopefully see you next year with a little baby

Mellisa & Nick x

Reviewed 5 February 2014

We had booked to stay at Mook Lanta for seven nights but ended up staying for 11. We were disappointed with the crowds, noise and filth of Patong, Phuket, so we headed to Ko Lanta three days early. When I first sent an email to Mook Lanta, asking if they could accommodate us early, Mellisa replied saying they were full till the second day we'd be there but that we should come anyway, as she'd see what she could do and would at least help us find a place to stay elsewhere, if necessary. When we arrived, Nick greeted us warmly and offered us each a complimentary drink, which we much appreciated especially because it was a hot day. Luckily for us, another couple decided to leave one day early. Mellisa juggled some of the future guests so that we could stay in the same bungalow for the whole time.

We stayed in a garden view villa with fan, hot shower, queen-sized bed and deck with two chairs and hammock. Although the room was basic, it was clean and comfortable. At night, it cooled down substantially, so we didn't even use the fan. During the day, it got quite hot but we spent our time on our deck or at the nearby beach. There was a gap between the ceiling and upper walls of our bathroom but, the whole time we were there, we noticed only one bug and it was easily washed down the shower drain. All bungalows are surrounded by flowering gardens, so we often smelled jasmine and heard many different songbirds. Also, about half a dozen chickens, three friendly dogs and a laid-back cat live on the premises.

Mellisa was very helpful about activities and beaches for us to visit, Nick gave useful suggestions about getting to Bangkok from Ko Lanta, and the other staff all were friendly and happy to help us. They printed several documents for us and booked our transportation to Trang airport and our cooking lesson at Time for Lime.

We opted for the breakfast included with our daily fee, so in addition to coffee and orange juice, we had three options each morning: eggs, bacon and white toast, eggs, ham and white toast, or yogurt , muslix and banana. Other options were available at extra cost.

We were a two minute walk from Long Beach, which is beautiful, shallow and not crowded. Also, we walked to many different restaurants for our lunches and dinners. Next door was Sita Massage, where they gave wonderful massages on the beach for 300 baht (the standard fee for Ko Lanta). And we were about a 15-minute walk to the Lanta Animal Welfare, where we went to help by cuddling their rescued cats and walk their rescued dogs.

We found the free Wi-Fi to be very slow and couldn't access it from our room most of the time, but that forced us to spend more time enjoying our time there instead of getting immersed with emails and Facebook.

Overall, we very much enjoyed our time at Ko Lanta, and Mook Lanta contributed to that. It is not a luxury resort but is pretty, friendly, in a good location, and safe.

Hi Debi

Oh thank you so much for a wonderful review, what is better than having a great review is having fun and interesting guest like you and your wonderful husband. Wish you were going to be here for the wedding.

Regarding the WIfi, you are right, unfortunately it is slow (much slower than the West) but we are at the mercy of the provider. We are looking to install another line at the far end to further expand the bandwidth but this takes time.

I know I say this all the time, but please. please come back, I rate you 10/10 as a guest.

Mellisa & Nick x

Reviewed 3 February 2014

When I read the reviews for this hotel, one of the key aspects that stood out was the fact that people who stayed felt that the customer service was very good. I was not to be disappointed! Mel and Nick treat all of their guests like close friends and nothing is too much for them.

We spent just short of two weeks at the Mook Lanta and found it to be a brilliant hotel in a very good location. OK yes the beach is a bit rocky and you have to walk a whole 50m to get there but if you want sandy beaches there are two within 5 minutes walk. The rooms are sizeable and are looked after really well by the hotel staff (all of whom are friendly, smile a lot and do their best to help). We stayed in an air con room and were perfectly happy!

We really felt that Mel and Nick did everything they could for us, this even extended to Nick driving us to the doctors and waiting to bring us back when my wife was poorly... They are incredibly friendly and enthusiastic about the hotel and did as much as possible to make our stay memorable. They are a brilliant couple and I would recommend them to anyone and everyone!

Our stay was certainly interesting. There is lots to do in the area from diving to elephant trekking all of which the hotel will help to arrange if needs be... We had some highlights and a lot of laughs although the a group of young High School grads Americans who did nothing but attend sing alongs and write prayers for the staff really were an eye opener! These I am told are not the usual guest demographic!

Thank you so much Nick and Mel for all your help - it was great meeting you!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
DiverLis, Owner at Mook Lanta Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Hi Mike

Thank you so much for your kind review, we absolutely loved having you stay with us and we would love to see you back again with the new one!

Wish we could write a lovely guestadvisor report about you guys too, I would definitely recommend you to other hotels.

Take care and let us know how the next 9 months go!

Mellisa & Nick