“Everything you could possibly want to take your holiday to the next level”
Review of Mook Lanta Resort

Mook Lanta Resort
Ranked #16 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Everything you could possibly want to take your holiday to the next level”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

The unbelievable ingredients the owners of this hotel alone add to your holiday is sensational! That's something worth considering, even before the amazing jungle setting on a spectacular unspoilt coastline.

Our stay here really took our already awesome travels of Thailand to the next level. After long travels, this was the idyllic spot to be able to see many more stunning 'not to be missed' places, without travelling too far, but remaining hidden away from too many tourists.

The intangible service you receive from the 'beautiful couple' (Nick & Melissa) that own this hotel and their team of local staff - can not be expected anywhere from any venue on any scale of the spectrum to be fair. However, these guys insist you have it all! By this I mean the genuine care, fun, trust and assurance of friends that you always wish you could take on holiday with you but can't. This is despite you not having to pay through the nose to enjoy a slice of heaven each and very day.

You can tell that the trust and care other service providers give to Mook Lanta residents reflects on the respect and appreciation they have for the owners of Mook Lanta. Priceless business relationships for you to benefit from as a guest, when you have not had the time to build and establish any local relationships by your self or as a group. Through Mook Lanta you can be sure of safety and fairness in all that you chose to do.

Local friends and family of the hotel also welcome guests in a unique and memorable way that can be cherished with family and friends for many years to come. I was able to watch each of the guests arriving before and after us, be made to feel like long lost friends by people who were friends with the owners. We were also able to benefit from the same experience despite this being our first visit. That said, the location also means that it is never a problem when you're looking for that peaceful moment alone of with someone special. That said too, you can still reach a local beach party within a non threatening environment, that's not too commercialised, very easily and be sure to return home easily and safely.

There isn't anything to not be relaxed about at Mook Lanta. A great privelage and rest bite for the mind, soul and spirit due to its warm, genuine and trustworthy owners, staff and friends. Particularly before and after you need to focus on airports, transfers or anything that requires thinking, stress or strain.

Mook Lanta can take the sting out of any of the things you don't want to worry about on holiday but have to. It is the greatest combination of elements. Great nightlife, sports and activities that you can indulge in, or escape from, as you wish with no real effort at all =)

Room Tip: Speak to the hotel about exactly what you are looking for to accommodate your individual budget and...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
DiverLis, Owner at Mook Lanta Resort, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Aw Nicolette, thank you so much for taking the time to write such an amazing review. It makes our job so worthwhile to read something like this.

I cannot top that with a long reply just a huge thank you and to reiterate what you said, if customers are unsure as to which room is appropriate for them or what to do here, ask us, we want you to be happy and we will be honest if we don't think we have what you need and we only recommend trips that we would be happy to do ourselves.

Mellisa & Nick x

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Frankfurt am Main
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Booked for 5 days/nights

Owners are very friendly and always ready to help us - no regards what it was (transfers, diving, motorbike rental etc.)

Professional and always friendly staff

Clean rooms and fresh towels every day

Breakfast is good and above the average thai-resort-breakfasts

Located approx. 100m from beach at the end of Long Beach (Phra Ae)

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Mellisa B, Owner at Mook Lanta Resort, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Ah Martin, we miss you and your lovely wife!

Glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and got some good diving whilst you were here. We have been in Koh Lanta for a long while now and we think we know some of the best places to go and things to do, whilst you are on the island, so we are only to pleased to share this information with our guests.

Nick loves that you like his breakfasts, he takes a lot of time, trying to source good products and offering a range of options.

Hopefully see you again sometime,

Kindest regards

Beijing, China
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Me and my parents spent 2 nights at Mook Lanta in Feb. And we enjoyed our stay there.

It's located on the far southern end of the Long Beach so it is really quiet. There were enough of restaurants if you walk up to the street, and the 7-11 is also 5-7 mins walking distance. When I sent out a bunch of inquiry emails to many resorts and guest houses, the host of Mook Lanta was the very first one who replied my email, and they were very friendly in person. I made the reservation and airport pick up with them via email. And the house keeping ladies there were always smiling, always.

One thing I was really impressed was that during our stay there (2 rooms for 2 nights) we didn't get any mosquito bites when we were there. They probably did a good job for pest control or something, because we constantly got bites when we were out in the restaurants and after we move to other places.

The beach was 1-2 mins walking from Mook Lanta, it was the nice and quiet end of the Long Beach, but not really good for swimming as there were rocks and you may see them in my pictures.

Room Tip: We stayed in the AC rooms (Room G5&G8) as the walls of their bungalows were thin and the day lig...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you Taylor Li for a lovely review, it was a delight to meet you and your family and we are glad that you were happy with your stay here.

I am glad you noted my housekeeping smiles, we are so lucky to have such wonderful staff and they often get overlooked in reviews, but they do a magnificent job.

I am very happy the mosquitoes did not get you, this is Thailand, so you had a lucky escape, but I think the wonderfully hot dry days also helps with that one!

You are right about the beach it is a bit rocky at the beginning but a few minutes north on it (it is 3km long) there are perfect places to swim. We are also walking distance from Relax Bay beach too.

Hope you get the chance to return, I will do everything possible to keep the mosquitoes at bay.

Kindest regards
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked a basic room and it was perfect for us. I will say it gets warm and humid during the day so if you plan on staying in the room then book the rooms with air conditioning. We are not people to sit inside so the basic room worked for us. At night it cools off very nice, great sleeping weather.

The staff is fantastic!! Very helpful and knowledgeable about the area. They did give us some great places to visit and eat. Although I do recommend eating at Mook Lanta at least once for lunch or dinner, it was delicious.

Our stay was perfect and I will be back. Thank you to the staff for making it great.

1 Thank Kathleen V
Thank you Steve and Kathleen for such a lovely review, we really enjoyed having you at our resort.

You are absolutely right that the standard fan rooms get a bit warm during the day, but cool off considerably overnight (even had requests for extra blankets!).

Nick is chuffed you like his food, he takes great pride in that.

I hope you will come back again, it is always such a pleasure having customers like you in the resort.

Kindest regards Mellisa & Nick
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We booked a standard room directly with the hotel. We were planning to stay 4 nights. When we arrived the room we were assigned was beyond basic. No bed side tables, dry paint stains all over (bed furniture, floor, chairs, plugs...) No wardrobe, only a bar with 4 old bent plastic hangers, the bathroom mat looked like it had been chewed by a dog, No proper window, only a mosquito net...we tried to get a luxury room but it was full, so we ended up staying one night and moved to NAKARA RESORT, on Long Beach for the rest of our stay. The beach next to the resort is nothing special, neither is the area surrounding it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CAROL1NA
DiverLis, Owner at Mook Lanta Resort, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
It is true sometimes that you cannot please all the people all the time and I am afraid Carolina it is true here. We knew as soon as you arrived that you were unhappy and that is why, despite the fact that I fully explained to your husband that I only had a basic fan room left and he was happy to take that,, I had no problem in cancelling your booking and did not charge you a cancellation fee, even though it was even though it was well within my rights to do so.

I could tell from your delightful husband that you were not happy and in an effort to help the situation, even gave him one of my own personal Valentine's roses to give to you on Valentine's morning to make you feel better!

I hope your holiday improved from here,

Chicago, Illinois USA
Reviewed 13 February 2014

After reading all of the glowing traveler reviews of Mook Lanta, I decided to book here. It was a great decision. Mellisa and Nick are wonderful hosts; the entire staff knows how to take care of the guests with a warm, personalized touch. I am a relatively high-strung city girl, so it was fantastic to have the gentle smiles and reminders to slow down and not fret about the little details. I was on island time! My bungalow was clean, the fan worked great and shower was always refreshing. (Some bungalows do have air-con, but I opted for a fan bungalow -- which was just fine for my purposes.) The resort is convenient to Long Beach and to some shops and restaurants in the neighborhood -- but I highly recommend renting a motorbike (250 baht per day) and exploring the island further afield. Go south for pristine beaches and more solitude; go north for the port city and touristy souvenir shopping. Koh Lanta is an uncrowded, un-commercialized island (at least relative to some others I visited in Thailand), a perfect place to sink into the rhythm of the beach and ocean.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Hi Erica

Thank you sweetie for such a lovely review, we loved having you here too (I never thought you were a high strung city girl!). I totally agree with you, a motorbike is the best way to see the island but you should always ask for some local advice on the best way to negotiate the roads.

Really hope you make a return trip but as a travel writer, I think that is unlikely ;-(

Love & hugs Mellisa & Nick
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

The bungalow is very simple but has everything you need, including hot shower. The location is perfect- 1 minute from the beach. The breakfast is great.
The best thing is the owners, they are super nice and helpfull, and did above and beyond for us.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you Tal so much for such a lovely response, it makes this job so worthwhile when we get a review such as yours. Mellisa & Nick