I just read a few of the recent reviews here and I realize that most of the positive (five stars) ones focus on the owners and not on the actual place. I did not get to meet Nick and Melissa (at least do not think so, since none of the staff I met there introduced themselves to me), so cannot comment on the "intangible service you receive from the 'beautiful couple' (Nick & Melissa)", as one tripadvisor reviewer put it. But when I read people write stuff like "rooms were incredibly clean and beautiful" and "Our stay here really took our already awesome travels of Thailand to the next level", I start thinking that these reviews were probably written by people who are chummy with the owners, and as such cannot be perceived as being objective reviews of Mook Lanta. I do believe my review here to be objective.
Spent only a night here and did not stick around to get to know the owners. I showed up quite late (past 9 PM I think) and needed a room for the night - the guy at reception (Nick maybe?) was really nice and showed me the only room they had left. It looked fine to me and I decided to take it.
The first thing I noticed was how hard the mattress was ("a little firm", as the host put it when I commented). The place looked clean and nice with a fridge and TV and semi-outdoor bathroom. I was tired and decided to quickly check my emails before going to bed - that's when I realized that their free Wi-Fi is excruciatingly slow and unstable. It took me well over an hour to get my emails and respond to them. I also tried WhatsApp on my phone and even that was a painfully slow process. Not impressed.
After a relatively good nights' sleep, in spite of the rock hard mattress and a few ants that were able to get into bed with me, I woke up to a cold shower (could not get the hot water to work on their electric heating device - in spite of having been on the road in Asia for two months now and having dealt with all kinds of similar devices), once again not impressed.
Here is what I liked about the place:
- Reception open at night and pleasant, accommodating staff;
- Decent TV in the room with lots of English channels (and even TV5 Monde for francophones like me), which is unusual in this part of Asia for rooms in this price range;
- Clean rooms with good A/C unit;
- Quiet surroundings (at least in my bungalow, G2).
Here is what I did not like:
- Crappy Internet all the way (the guy at reception admitted to this - but said it was the Internet provider's fault... Here's an idea: how about getting ANOTHER Internet provider for your guests?);
- Faulty or cheaply made hot water heating device;
- No safety deposit box in my room (in spite of several reviews to the contrary - maybe it is hidden and I did not find it?);
- Mattresses way too hard for rooms in this price range, even for Thailand I must say.
I must add that some reviews mention the "very comfortable" beds - I was in a Twin Room (with two single beds), perhaps their Double Rooms (with one larger bed) offer more comfortable mattresses" The exact same thing happened to me in a couple of hotels while travelling around Ecuador earlier this year.
In a nutshell, perhaps the owners are the nicest people on the face of the planet, but that doesn't make this "Boutique Hotel" (which it is not) one of the best places to stay at on Ko Lanta. I stayed at two other hotels on Lanta, at Klong Dao Beach and here at Long Beach, paid less for my room in each case (1,300 and 900 THB respectively, as opposed to 1,700 THB here at Mook Lanta), and the two other rooms were at least on par with this place, for less money. Which explains my "Average" rating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mook Lanta Eco Resort, offers beautiuful Thai style bungalows in a picturesque secluded gardens. Located on the most popular beach of Phra Ae (Long Beach) we are close to all that Koh Lanta has to offer. Our bungalows range from large family air conditioned bungalows through to inexpensive fan Bungalows. We have Free Wifi throughout the resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mook Lanta Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mook Lanta Boutique Resort And Spa
- Mook Lanta Boutique Hotel Ko Lanta
- Mook Lanta Boutique Ko