“Great staff, beautiful island”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mook Lanta Resort

Mook Lanta Resort
Ranked #16 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Great staff, beautiful island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

This was our last stop on our month tour of Thailand. Having spent the rest of the month in fan rooms, we knew this would be good enough for us. We stayed for 6 nights in total.

We received a warm welcome from Jin & Miaow, then another warm welcome by Nick and Melissa (not forgetting Pebbles and Benji). Breakfast each day was delicious, they had schweppes manao, & it felt like home.

We had one of the bungalows towards the back of resort. It was quiet, calm, & definitely big enough! Also has hot shower (not that you need!). Our first night was a bit uncomfortable on the bed, but we mentioned it to Nick the next morning, & within an hour we had a mattress topper- I know this is a plan for the green season! Internet was fine of the porch, and about the same speed as everywhere else we encountered.

We were given lots of tips about good places to go, Nui bay, Old Town, Time for Lime, and the Lanta Animal Welfare.

Perfect end to our trip, quiet, basic, & a simple way of life! Definitely recommend to like minded people!

DiverLis, Owner at Mook Lanta Resort, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Hi Jen and thanks for the review!

Most of the toppers are here for the beds, so in most rooms we have softened the beds! Whoop Whoop. I am sure that they will still be hard for some but it is a step in the right direction.

The Standard Fans are lovely and spacious and really chilled out, so ideal for those who just want to relax.

Thanks again, hope to see you on your next adventure.

Mellisa & Nick (and Miaow, Benji, Pebbles and the rest of the crew)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at mook lanta for three nights. Firstly we enjoyed our stay, we were made to feel welcome and i was welcomed to check out the fan and a/c rooms. We decided to stay in the a/c room, we found this a little bit over priced at 1800b b&b, compared to where we stayed on koh jum which was 1500b. That said breakfast was great and really well cooked the a/c worked really well and u r very close to the beach. Our hosts drove us to a local restaurant and were very friendly.
Improvements - I have to agree the mattresses r very hard. Also our door did had a large gap at the top when closed, which let's the mosi's in, not a problem for us as we put up our own, as there was no mosi net provided.

DiverLis, Owner at Mook Lanta Resort, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Hi Sally

Thanks for the review, I am fully aware of our concrete beds, so we should have that fixed by the end of this month. Air Con rooms are lovely and I am afraid we are more expensive than Koh Jum as Koh Lanta has a lot more to offer ;-)

Air Con rooms do not come with Mosquito nets (standard in Thailand) as the Air Con should help keep them away. But the Fan rooms do. I am looking into a few gap filler ideas over Green Season to help close any gaps too.

Hope you are enjoying the rest of your holiday and hope to see you return.

Kindest regards

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed on this resort during Songkran so everything was much more expensive on the island. The layout it lovely, if budget permits stay in the more expensive villas if budget permits. The beach close to this is so beautiful, the most amazing sunsets and the food is great!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
DiverLis, Owner at Mook Lanta Resort, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Hi Zena_Joanna

Thank you for your lovely review, Songkran is still high season, but now we are in green season there are some great bargains on the rooms, making our nicest rooms more affordable.

However, Songkran is the best day ever, so it is worth coming for that (we are trying to get all our family over for next year).

Thanks again

Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights whilst visiting Koh Lanta and had a really good time.

The rooms are very nicely furnished, have a TV, fridge, very good A/C and a nice balcony area. The bungalows are set in very pretty gardens, you also hear lots of animal noises!

The bed mattress was very hard - although I have seen from Melissa's reply to other reviews that the intention is to get mattress toppers, I'm sure it will be much better then. I think it would also be good for the rooms to have safes.

The bathroom isn't outdoors as such, it has four walls and a roof, the top section of the wall is open, which we found perfectly fine. You do get a lot of ants, which we found in many indoor bathrooms in Asia anyway! The only thing is that mosquitos liked to hang around the towel rail in the bathroom, I guess because it's warm and moist. I had to use a lot of mosquito repellant here! We also had a couple of cockroaches, which we had fun chasing out of the room :)

We had breakfast at Mook Lanta on two occasions, it was very tasty and we felt it was reasonably priced. The lady who works at the bar is very friendly.

The beach is a couple of minutes away, as are restaurants and shops. We rented a bike for two days and found this the best way to get around the island, we liked the beaches further south which were lovely and very quiet!

The owners are indeed very helpful and friendly and can help advise on places to go, book transport etc. We mentioned about diving and Nick was kind enough to drive us to the dive centre.

On arrival we didn't find the welcome particularly warm, we still had our rucksacks on from the ferry from Krabi and it was very hot and the lady wanted us to pay for the 3 nights we had booked, there and then. Not a problem - but it would have been nice to have been able to put our bags down, get a cold drink and then pay!

There do seem to be a lot of these style bungalows around the island, a lot advertising prices for less than what we paid, however I don't know whether they all had the amenities that Mook Lanta provide.

Overall a very nice stay and we would recommend.

Mellisa B, Owner at Mook Lanta Resort, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Hi Kirsty and Josh

Thank you for your lovely review, it was lovely to have you here and look forward to you returning when I have those softeners in place ;-)

Sorry you met a few critters, but unfortunately it is very difficult not to in Thailand, but that is why we recommend you NEVER keep food in your room unless it is in the fridge or extremely well wrapped up. The ants here are superhuman and can smell food from a mile off!

Glad you enjoyed the breakfast, Nick has tried to ensure that there is plenty of choice and Miaow our lovely Bar Manager/Waitress always has a smile on her face, no matter how early it is.

Sorry Gin (our Receptionist) was a bit abrupt, but next time tell her that you want to pay later and she really wont mind, any problems tell her Mellisa said so!

Hope to see you again soon

Quebec, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

I just read a few of the recent reviews here and I realize that most of the positive (five stars) ones focus on the owners and not on the actual place. I did not get to meet Nick and Melissa (at least do not think so, since none of the staff I met there introduced themselves to me), so cannot comment on the "intangible service you receive from the 'beautiful couple' (Nick & Melissa)", as one tripadvisor reviewer put it. But when I read people write stuff like "rooms were incredibly clean and beautiful" and "Our stay here really took our already awesome travels of Thailand to the next level", I start thinking that these reviews were probably written by people who are chummy with the owners, and as such cannot be perceived as being objective reviews of Mook Lanta. I do believe my review here to be objective.
Spent only a night here and did not stick around to get to know the owners. I showed up quite late (past 9 PM I think) and needed a room for the night - the guy at reception (Nick maybe?) was really nice and showed me the only room they had left. It looked fine to me and I decided to take it.
The first thing I noticed was how hard the mattress was ("a little firm", as the host put it when I commented). The place looked clean and nice with a fridge and TV and semi-outdoor bathroom. I was tired and decided to quickly check my emails before going to bed - that's when I realized that their free Wi-Fi is excruciatingly slow and unstable. It took me well over an hour to get my emails and respond to them. I also tried WhatsApp on my phone and even that was a painfully slow process. Not impressed.
After a relatively good nights' sleep, in spite of the rock hard mattress and a few ants that were able to get into bed with me, I woke up to a cold shower (could not get the hot water to work on their electric heating device - in spite of having been on the road in Asia for two months now and having dealt with all kinds of similar devices), once again not impressed.
Here is what I liked about the place:
- Reception open at night and pleasant, accommodating staff;
- Decent TV in the room with lots of English channels (and even TV5 Monde for francophones like me), which is unusual in this part of Asia for rooms in this price range;
- Clean rooms with good A/C unit;
- Quiet surroundings (at least in my bungalow, G2).
Here is what I did not like:
- Crappy Internet all the way (the guy at reception admitted to this - but said it was the Internet provider's fault... Here's an idea: how about getting ANOTHER Internet provider for your guests?);
- Faulty or cheaply made hot water heating device;
- No safety deposit box in my room (in spite of several reviews to the contrary - maybe it is hidden and I did not find it?);
- Mattresses way too hard for rooms in this price range, even for Thailand I must say.
I must add that some reviews mention the "very comfortable" beds - I was in a Twin Room (with two single beds), perhaps their Double Rooms (with one larger bed) offer more comfortable mattresses" The exact same thing happened to me in a couple of hotels while travelling around Ecuador earlier this year.
In a nutshell, perhaps the owners are the nicest people on the face of the planet, but that doesn't make this "Boutique Hotel" (which it is not) one of the best places to stay at on Ko Lanta. I stayed at two other hotels on Lanta, at Klong Dao Beach and here at Long Beach, paid less for my room in each case (1,300 and 900 THB respectively, as opposed to 1,700 THB here at Mook Lanta), and the two other rooms were at least on par with this place, for less money. Which explains my "Average" rating.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Marc M
DiverLis, Owner at Mook Lanta Resort, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Hi Marxus Boy

I am Mellisa, unfortunately I did not meet you on the night you arrived (I was tucked up in the bedroom next to yours as I needed somewhere cool and quiet to rest up as I was very sick). I apologise for this, I normally get to meet all of our guests.

Lets start with your first comment, you are right, most of the comments on here reflect the hardwork Nick and I put in, to make our customers feel at home and ensure they enjoy their stay. You unfortunately arrived very late at night seeking emergency accommodation and left early the next morning. So you were unable to appreciate this in such a brief amount of time with us. As I have said numerous times to the reviews here, we are not a 5 star resort posing as a 3 star one, we are a basic little resort set in pretty gardens with awesome staff, who want to make you love the island as much as we do.

Secondly I am extremely offended by your remark that our wonderful reviews are from my "chums," actually no on second thoughts you are right, I have taken a great amount of time ensuring that many of my guests feel like they are at home with friends not just at some random hotel and so if it feels like they are, well then, I say that is a great success. If you have the time (I see you do judging by the length of this review), I kindly request that you let me privately introduce you to these "chums" who will confirm, that they are not long term friends of mine (but guests who have become friends) nor have I solicited a review from any of them.

Regarding your other points:
1.The Shower system was not faulty, my Hotel Manager checked it as soon as you told Nick and she found that pressing the 'on' button seemed to fix the problem!
2. I was in the room next to you, as I was unwell and had to do my work from bed via the same WiFi as you and I was working on the internet throughout the day and night (could not sleep). I was answering customer emails, using Facebook, reading newspapers and working on shared files with absolutely no problem. However Nick is correct the internet is not great and unfortunately this is not Canada (or England where I worked in telecommunications) but a small island in Thailand, so we do not have a wide choice of internet providers. So our internet works fine for most people, unless they want to download movies. If you had told us earlier in your stay, we would have checked that you were connected to the nearest point, thus improving the reception and speed.
3. There are no safety boxes in the rooms, we have them behind reception and a safe also where we can store items for you free of charge.
4. I am glad you had a relatively good night's sleep on one of our beds, we have recognised that they need softeners, and we are planning to do so in the Green Season as I have previously answered to reviews on here (so they are not all good then eh?). Some people like hard beds (me included, but unfortunately not Nick) so sometimes people will prefer that style of bed, however there are some with softeners already, so maybe the customers were reviewing those ones.
5. 'Boutique' Hotel is only used on this website, we have removed it from all our other literature but it seems to be proving impossible from TripAdvisor, so I agree, this is not who we are.

So whilst you would say your review was more objective than our others, with the greatest respect I would disagree:

1. You spent just over 12 hours with us, most customers spend over 4 nights. Our service is designed for customers who want to experience the island, not just sleep.
2. You never met me (my fault I was sick) but only briefly met Nick and our wonderful staff (you briefly met some at breakfast), so you were not able to fully experience how wonderful and helpful they truly are.
3. You had 2 major complaints (the Hot Shower and WiFi) which we were unfortunately unable to fix whilst you were here as you told us as you were leaving. However, I believe both could have probably been fixed in minutes if we had been given the time.

So maybe your views are objective for only those bedhopping through Thailand (you stayed in 3 hotels on 2 beaches next to each other in Koh Lanta!), as the big reason to stay with us, our staff is missed by people traveling like you.

Next time, do not leave your lady behind, bring her with you and stay a few nights with us and enjoy our friendly and smiling staff, have some good banter with us whilst we give you some good advice on places to go, see, eat and experience whilst you are here.

Kindest regards
blackpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Nothing is too much trouble for the staff here - as you can gauge from all the very positive reviews. The location is ideal, only a minute walk to beach, great bars and restaurants nearby, (recommend Red Snapper restaurant) also good markets and shops near the port, wonderful island to visit and plenty to do. The beach is great about 2.5km in length so a good stretch and not too busy and you can get cheap massage on beach as well as yoga too!

The bungalows are basic but are ample sized with full mosquito net and very clean and we had good quality sleep. We were on a budget so we booked the room with fan and this was more than sufficient, we did not get too hot (they have air con rooms if you prefer). The bungalows are in a garden setting and raised so no problems with any unwanted guests in room! Breakfast was good too and is nice to be waited on rather than a buffet. Coffee and tea always available which was a nice touch too.

We had a wonderful time in Lanta and great place to visit, we research all our bookings on Trip and would recommend staying on this island.

Caring, kind, considerate, informative, helpful and fun staff! Your really can't get a better hotel team, they are genuinely there to please and can sort you out with whatever you require; diving, motorbike rental, recommendations for restaurants, trips,days out etc at very reasonable prices.

We came as strangers left as wedding guests! A special shout out to Jon - who really looked after us and hope is leg is healing well and the chef/comedian (Steve?) who makes a fab curry.All the best to the newly wed hoteliers Nick and Melissa, love the wedding crashers x

Have any questions please feel free to message me, I give honest reports and am a senior reviewer on trip.Please give me a helpful vote if I helped you out!

Room Tip: Nick and Mel very helpful - choice of different types or room rates and prices. Ask if you have any...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sarahnphil
DiverLis, Owner at Mook Lanta Resort, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Hi Sarah and Phil

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, had to get over the wedding!

You are right, one of the best things about our resort is its location to pretty much everything (beach, bars, restaurants,massages, yoga, doctors and shops).

The Fan rooms are surprisingly cool (you were here when the heat was getting ridiculously hot) but not in the middle of the afternoon!

Our staff are our greatest asset and between us we can source pretty much anything you need as we have all lived on the island for such a long time.

We were really pleased that Jon persuaded you to come to the wedding and Beanie (Steve the chef) is glad you liked his jokes (none of us do!), we'll invite you to the divorce party!

And again you are right, if people are not sure what room to book, email me, I am as honest as I can be and want you to get the right room for you.

Hopefully see you back next year,

St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I was incredibly impressed with this resort. Beautiful place!!! The rooms were incredibly clean and beautiful. A perfect balance of modern and rustic Thai feel. The beach is a short 3 min walk away and is at the southern rocky end which is great because gives you a chance to start at one end and walk to the other if you want. Don't let the rockiness bother you, if you walk 5 mins down the beach it becomes soft and swimming is good :)
The owners were the nicest hotel owners I have ever met. Very personable and down to earth!
I spent 3 days here and would have stayed more if I was not alone. But coming from Phuket and coming here was fantastic. It's a totally chilled out location... quiet, very low amount of people around but enough to not feel isolated. Always room on the beach to relax and just an all around great place for the soul :)

Jay W.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank BuAkAW U
DiverLis, Owner at Mook Lanta Resort, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Wow Jay, what a lovely review, I am only disappointed that we are unable to provide you with a lady to ensure you enjoyed your stay to the fullest! ;-)

Seriously, thank you for the review, we greatly appreciate it and you are right about the beach, the best little bar, for sunset, is right by us on the beach but if you need a big expanse of sandy beach we have over 3km to enjoy!

Come back soon, next time with a lady!