“Relaxed”

Time For Lime Bungalows
Ranked #18 of 170 Ko Lanta B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I decided to stay here after looking into doing the cooking course and wanted to stay here due from the outset due to discovering that funding goes to their animal sanctuary just short drive away (both separate reviews). It was more than basic I'd say especially compared to some accommodation in Thailand I stayed in, and the air con worked a treat! The bungalows were spacious and the added hammock was a bonus, there were also a couple of friendly cats roaming around. The breakfast was a help yourself affair and suited me and eating it whilst looking over the ocean was a nice wake up call. Overall it's a relaxing sort of places to stay and I had no issues with noise or anything else. There was a power cut during my stay but that was due to a big storm, something that couldn't be helped!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Time for Lime is a non-profit organisation that supports Lanta Animal Welfare and does great work helping mistreated animals as well as neutering as many as possible I want to be fair so here are the pro's and cons...

Pros
The cookery school is amazing, well organised and always busy,
The food we had there was some of the best we had in Thailand
The ethos is wonderful and many people work there as volunteers
The beach it sits on is gorgeous

Cons
The Bungalows were not in any way comfortable or very clean.
Our mosquito net was covered in bits of Elastoplast to cover the holes.
The only bedding was a sheet and 2 pillows, which for 2 of us was not adequate
There is nowhere to chill out, no gardens etc. They supply a hammock on the tiny balcony of the hut, but that's pretty useless when there's 2 of you!
Directly behind the bungalows is a concrete road that the local fisherman drive up and down to the beach, starting at around 5am. Very loudly

We had booked to stay 2 weeks, but stayed 2 nights. In fairness I believe the website does not accurately portray the reality of the resort.

My conflict is that I think they do a wonderful job for animal welfare on Koh Lanta, But not so good for guests staying there accommodation wise. They want people to adopt animals and bring them home, but that is costly and I'm left wondering if the kind of people who could afford to adopt an animal and take one home, would be able to cope with living in what can only be described as hostel accommodation.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bexiow
foodiefreak, Owner at Time For Lime Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thanks for pointing out the work we do at Lanta Animal Welfare. Sterilizing animals is our #1 priority and we actually do mobile clinics around Thailand to improve the situation for animals all over Thailand. The profits from Time for Lime is the reason that the animal center exists. And actually, adopting an animal is not as expensive as you seem to think and we make absolutely no profit on it, just charging you the actual costs.
We are so happy that you enjoyed both the cooking school and our restaurant food ;o)

We are sorry about your bad experience in the bungalows. We state they are budget bungalows the price and standard is there after.
- Thanks for pointing out about the mosquito net, this will be replaced immediately.
- The bedding has under and over sheet, with 2 pillows, not sure what more is needed, in a tropical country?
- I don't understand your comment: no garden etc. The garden space is 3 times the area as bungalow space. In the garden we have a chill out hut with 4 hammocks that all guests can use besides the one on each bungalow balcony. Picture of the garden on our website, and picture of the bungalow veranda.
We are actually very clear on our website about what staying here is like. Some direct quotes from our site:

"We are near the local fisherman boats and the small road they use to go to work (very early in the morning), which is behind the bungalows. Some guests have no problems with this whatsoever, while other light sleepers do. Please take this into consideration if you would like to book with us, we want you to have a pleasant stay."

"If you prefer top-notch western flush toilets and TV, then this is not the place to be."

kind regards from,
Junie the owner, staff, volunteers and all the animals in distress you help to support by visiting us.
Welcome back!

Reviewed 6 February 2014

It was time for a "getaway" from the big city. I wanted to do a cooking school in Thailand but didn't want it to be a "big production", with a 250 room hotel, with 100 pool lounges perfectly lined up around the pool, lots of planned activities and the associated high prices. Also, I didn't want a surfer's beach. I just wanted to "chill". Well, thanks to "that search engine we all use", I found my little parcel of vacation Heaven. After 14 days at Time For Lime, and getting to know the owner, Junie, and her staff, I find that I have this new family, half way around the world. We laughed a lot, learned a lot, and thanks to Junie & Mai, we cooked up some really great food !!! At night, I had either the A/C or the rotating fan to keep me cool - - and as many as three "TFL" kitties in my bungalow for company.
Magic is at work at TFL. Even guests from other resorts that came for the TFL cooking classes, would stick around till the wee small hours - sampling Varsai's wonderful cocktails, chatting and (if only for that evening) enjoy being part of the family. That's why - "Bungalows and so much more"
When I got home, first order of business, was donating to Lanta Animal Welfare.
There are angels on earth - and usually, they don't even know that they are angels!! They're just too busy taking care of the business at hand, to think about themselves !!! :-)
With love and respect always,
Hank Garfield, Burbank, CA, USA

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank HankGarfield
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Staying at Timeforlime made our Thailand stay special. Being greeted in the morning by a cat sitting outside the door waiting and enjoying breakfast with view on the sea - beautiful memories.

Our bungalow was spacious - only minus is the bathroom in Thaistyle which means a wet toilet after each shower. The big plus on the other side is that you support mistreated animals over Koh Lanta.

The stuff is more than friendly and helps out as best as the can - they helped us organizing trips and the transport to the airport!

We also LOVED the food - it is really good. A bit different from the street food but together with the atmosphere in the evening siting at the beach it is a memory that will stick for a long time....

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank StudentenkussHD

We're happy that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your very positive review. The friendly cats on the balcony are perfect for those who are missing their furry friends from home!

kind regards from,
Welcome back!

Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed the cooking class. Great info on the basics and the cooking. It was a lot of fun. Very good food! I have enjoyed the Time for lime cooking book at home before I came, but having this class gave me new inspiration. I also enjoyed the drinks in the bar. They were new and crative. Thanks!
M. Hana from Norway

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank MarieSandnes
foodiefreak, Owner at Time For Lime Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Thanks for coming to check out Time for Lime, we're happy you enjoyed your class. The cocktails are always a big hit!

kind regards,
junie

Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

Like many others, I was drawn to Time for Lime because of its connection with Lanta Animal Welfare. It's not just another bungalow resort - it's a place with a story, or perhaps a mission, and it was good to feel part of that. I initially booked for four nights but ended up staying for six.

The location is great. I particularly enjoyed breakfast looking out to sea and long walks in the afternoon on the very long beach.

There is a nice buzz around this place, especially in the evening. There is an early evening happy hour when drinking cocktails is encouraged, not just for its own sake but in support of the cats and dogs of Koh Lanta. The bar is quite small so felt like a friendly place to hang out. As a lone traveller I enjoyed spending time in the bar area as it's the kind of place that draws in good people. I also took part in one of the cooking classes which was great fun.

A number of cats live at Time for Lime. They are really sociable, many having lived there amongst the tourists since they were kittens. They serve as excellent ambassadors for Lanta Animal Welfare. The guests in my room before me decided to adopt two of the cats and take them back to the U.S.A. and I can see why - they are really nice cats.

Junie, the owner, took time to ask if everything was okay and was also on hand to talk to guests about the work of LAW.

They don't really advertise the travel services they offer but at reception they happily book tours, order motor scooters and organise transfers if you request it.

My room was nice and clean, and I think recently decorated. It was a fan room but I didn't use the fan much as it wasn't that hot. Each bungalow has a hammock on the porch, perfect for relaxing, even if it's raining.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank KTELY

Dear Guest,
Thanks for your kind review. We're always encouraged when people come and end up staying for more nights than originally planned and we hope that our guests feel like Time for Lime is their home away from home in Thailand. The cats love having human-friends in the bungalows!

kind regards,
Junie the owner

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed for 6 nights in November. The accommodations are very basic and the beds are hard but they are clean. We were able to hear the base from music until about 3 in the morning while trying to sleep which was a real downer The porches are a nice addition to hang out and the atmosphere was great for relaxing. A good addition is the fact that the breakfast was included. It was not extensive selection but enough for a good start to the day.
The location of the bungalows is at the southern end of the beach which is not as nice as the beaches on the northern end.
We did not eat at the restaurant as we felt the prices were way too high. The bar was also overly priced. Most of the restaurants along the beach were expensive so we found great food along the main street for regular Thai prices (30-50 baht food, 70-80 for large beer)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Sorry to hear about your experience. We went out to buy an extra soft over matres, the day after your review. As I was not aware, that it was removed. So now the bed is soft again!

The prices at our restaurant are higher than the places on the street but we think it's worth it! Our 6-dish tasting menu is prepared fresh (ie: homemade vegetarian curry paste) and with top-quality ingredients. Our cocktails are priced similarly to the other bars on the beach and our happy hour(s!) is quite a good deal (99 baht). Our beer prices are within 10 Baht of the restaurants on the street and the same as the other beach bars.

We are happy that you took your son, several times for a walk with our rescue animals, so hopefully he learns at early age, that animal welfare is important, and understands that there are not many businesses anywhere in the world, who gives their profits to support this.
The cost to run the welfare activity is 250,000 and up baht per month.

We hope that you'll come back and try out the food in the restaurant or check out a cooking class. Have a couple of cocktails on the house again, that we always give our guests who stay here, including you ;o)