“away from the crowds”

Mango Guesthouse + Villas
Ranked #127 of 171 Ko Lanta B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Me and my partner stayed at Mango House villas and we enjoyed our weekend tremendously. The 180 degree view from our villa was amazing. The sunrise was truly spectacular.
Old Town is a great location for exploring Thai culture. There are several good Thai restaurants and coffee shops in town. It's also a great step-off point for exploring the local islands--next time we will plan to stay longer so we have time to go boating.
The sandy beaches are on the other side of the island, where all the tourists are. We were quite happy to escape the crowds.

Room Tip: The fan-cooled rooms get more light. You don't really need air-con anyway--there is a nice wind.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eugened1

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I realy loved the place, nice clean, i have a nice time sitting on the deck in front of my room enjoyng my coffee in the morning or my cool drinks late in the afternoon, never been so relaxed before! great place, great memories!

Room Tip: No wifi, no tv...holliday!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 June 2014

this was our best holiday ever as Thailand lovers!
if you're looking for a genuine holiday experience in the middle of an authentic fisher village, this is the place.
when you're open to meet locals, you might find here some new friends.
from the first moment, it felt like our second home.
the construction of the house (and yes, i must admit, there is room for improvement but the owner is aware and taking care of that....for the moment you pay for what you get and it's a fair price), the view, the surroundings......I can only say.....woooooooooooowwwww!
only one warning, if you're a woose and/or looking for a posh or pampered stay, don't book this place (it will be too much adventures and authentic)!
for the others....stay away....this is our place ;-)
one point of advice for the owner, can you move the light in the kitchen a little bit. when I was standing on a chair and moved a bit too far to the right, that light was shining directly in my eyes ;-)
thanks for that. if you are willing to do that....we'll be back

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

This place more than exceeded my expectations. It's not for everybody because it is a little rustic. But what it has is charm. I love being right on the water. I spent most of my time in the hammock on the deck. I found Duane to be very helpful every step of the way. The house was clean and better than i thought. It is a great value. I really can't imagine why anybody wouldn't love it. I'm coming back the first chance I get.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Now, I know there are some people who will think that any poor review of the mango house is simply because it's not a "resort" or "modern". That could not be farther from the truth. We WANTED an authentic experience and house. What we DIDNT want was to be insulted and hassled.
Yes, it was disorganized upon arrival/check in, but soon the two brothers "running" the place warmed up and were friendly. As with any lodgings, we paid a deposit prior to our arrival and after neither brother made any mention about the remaining balance for days after our arrival, we assumed that it would be due upon checking out.
Old town is small, quaint and quiet, so a new face is certainly something that will catch your attention...so I took notice when after a few days, a new comer- the "owner" (Duane) had been around for he better part of a day, he even saw me come out of my room around noon (from his barstool) and said hello. I walked past him (without knowing he was the owner) no less than 4 times that day. Late that evening, as we all got ready for bed, Duane pounded on the door and then OPENED it without invitation, and then went around back and startled the women from the group who were sitting on the deck and told them to go pay their bill. It was very alarming and extremely unprofessional. A member of our group changed out of her pajamas, went out to talk with him, and came back exasperated. He was very rude to her and very begrudgingly told her that we could settle our balance the next morning.
We are not a group of wimpy girls, we are all accomplished, professional women who travel extensively for work and for pleasure with our respective families. This was not our first time abroad. We have stayed in the poshest of villas and slept in rustic open air jungle tree houses and have loved them all. What ruined our stay in Old Town was the disrespectful way we were treated. Duane was aggressive, rude and belligerent. We are far too old and established to be treated like we are a group of criminals trying to skip out on our bill. We left the mango house as soon as alternate lodging was secured and didn't look back (after our bill was paid in full, of course).

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Kate K
DrLanta, Owner at Mango Guesthouse + Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I must say, I am WELL aware that I will not get a positive or appropriate response from the owner of this water house based on other comments left by guests - and I am doing it any way! We gave him ample opportunity to discuss any issues with us face to face in order to avoid such a response. Duane was arrogant, belittling and an over all, disgusted with the treatment we received. We were excited to meet the Duane everyone was talking about! We read every single review, of every single place (9 hotels and hostels in total) for our trip through Thailand. We read the Mango house reviews at length, good and bad, and decided to go for it any way! The pictures are BEAUTIFUL and LOOKED like just the experience we were looking for! WRONG. YIKES!

To say that we were disappointed in the Mango house is an understatement and quite unfortunate because we were seeking a rustic, old town experience. I feel completely jipped on our experience!

First: traveling way out of our way and away from Koh Lanta area for this very sleepy town could have been met with a little more ease. Upon arrival, the neighbors who run the scooter company told us that the Mango house was closed. There we were with our cab driver and 7 women standing in the heat with all of our luggage and having nowhere to go. After wandering around the water houses and streets for almost an hour, we found a man who I believed to be the owner based on him being the only white guy reading a book near by. Turns out, the owner was out of the country obtaining a visa and left his business to two brothers who rent the bar. After informing the Canadian man who was babysitting the Mango house that we had reservations for a long stay, he made ME go through the booking lists to find our own reservation and tell him how to check in??? This was an English speaking Canadian, so no language barrier existed.

Second: After that, he grabbed a lock box full of random keys and tried each one until we were able to get to the winning key! Not my idea of fun in billion degree heat and 50lbs of backpacking luggage on my body – but it might be for others! THIS TOOK FOREVER. Upon arrival, there was only air conditioning in one unit and not all 3 as we assumed - our bad? Whatever, we dealt with it no problem. If you do not care about that, then move along.
Third: Upon arrival into our units, the trash had not been cleaned out from the previous guests, was over flowing with food, bugs, there were feces in the toilet and the neighborhood dog in our room. I love dogs!

Fourth: Out of three toilets, one and half worked. Out of three showers, two worked, then one broke one day into our stay and it took TWO additional days to find someone to inform about the break in the hose. Seven guests = one toilet and one shower for 200 degree days was very difficult. SO many laughs were had at the experience itself & we chalked it up to having a great experience to take home with us... until our second to last night, when we cut our visit short and left because we did not feel safe and it was brought to a whole new level. Upon arrival we had asked to clear up our bill ASAP and were told to do so at the end of our stay once Duane returned from his trip. The afternoon which the owner returned from obtaining his visa, he sat in the bar and watched us walk back and forth past where he was sitting all day to and from our room, he chose 10pm - while a group of women were in their pajamas and getting into bed -pounded on the door twice, and then opened the door without identifying himself, demanded the rest of the payment in CASH IMMEDIATELY, two nights before we were set to leave. He left and gave us time to try to get money together, but then came back almost 10 minutes later asking for it again!!!

It took two separate attempts at negotiation to allow us to pay in the morning and not make every girl on our trip walk down the dark road to the weird ATM in the gypsy village to pull out cash in the middle of the night. He begrudgingly agreed to meet us at 10am for the rest of his payment - about $500. WHAT A GREAT GUY!!!!!! The next morning, we met the owner Dwayne at 10am sharp. We attempted to inform him of the struggles we had while at the Mango house, and that is was beyond difficult to reach any of his staff to discuss our desire to cancel our reservation for the two girls who left the Mango house due to the situation, the garbage that was STILL over flowing and broken amenities that caused us all shower and poop within the same room. We explained to him that on the first night two of the women in our group left the Mango house and stayed elsewhere, and we wanted to cancel one of our three rooms because it not being used and now available to rent out to someone else. The 24 hour cancellation policy would have allowed that, if there was someone to talk to for two days. He looked at us, smirked and more or less said - tough luck ladies! Unfortunate for us, lucky for them? If this man would have said "I am sorry you had this experience, have a drink on me", all would have been forgiven & this post would not exist! Word to my brother Duane - a very small amount of humanity goes a LONG way.

The ONLY saving grace was the kindness of the two Canadian brothers who had the bar open for us the first evening we were there (after we found THEM). Unfortunately, because they were closing shop and heading back to Canada for 6 months, there was barely food or alcohol to be had, and everything kind of had to be mixed together and mish moshed for the sake of the guests – at that point – I would have drank anything they could offer. They were kind, informational and really made the trip feel a little less scary than the jerk owner. I think the lack of communication between the owner and his bar keeps made it very difficult for us to feel welcome or safe.

The mango house itself is all wood, they have ceiling fans and bug screens to sleep under, no shelter from the heat because of the nature of the space. Everywhere in the town moves very slowly, don't expect to get a quick breakfast and go to eat well before you are actually hungry :) It’s a great spot for very cheap shopping and I would suggest it ONLY for a ONE day trip.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with air conditioning. Even if you do not use it, it is the nicest room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank MoonBeamBerger

I do admit at the time there were some problems with the facilities as my wife's mother was sick and we left the running of the place to some people who were unable to keep up to our high level of quality and service... this has now been corrected.

Yes rude girls from America... please don't come back!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I am not sure where to even begin with our experience of this terrible place! So I am going to just start from the beginning. Me and six of my girl friends reserved the Mango House. Upon arrival we stood and waited outside for almost an hour until someone arrived to unlock the Villas. There was no clear direction on anything upon arrival. When we booked the three Villas we were told they all had air conditioning, which is not the case. Only the middle villa has AC. We ended up pulling all the beds into one Villa. The beds are dirty and horrific. We tried to locate someone to cancel the villas we weren't using but there was no one to be found.

Once we all settled into one Villa things just continued to go downhill from there. The restaurant that was advertised on the website was closed and the location of this Villa is in a very quiet part of Ko Lanta. After the first day one of the toilets broke, as well as one of the showers. We were unable to find anyone to fix either so not only were the 7 of us crammed into one villa we were then stuck with one working shower and toilet for the stay. There is also no maid services, which wouldn't be so horrible if you were able to flush toilet paper. Our bins of dirty toilet paper piled up and just sat there to stick up the place.

After two nights into our 4 night stay four of us girls we were laying in bed and around 10:00 pm someone came pounding not knocking, but pounding on the door. As we sat startled the door swung open and it was the owner yelling at us to pay our bill. Mind you we had been there for two days and we were still booked for additional days and no one had approached us about our bill. I guess it was expected for us to have tracked down the bartender we had seen only the first night to pay him. I am also not sure in what country it is okay to just let yourself into anyone's room for any reason without first being invited. After realizing who the owner was it had dawned on me that I had walked by him twice as he sat in the bar earlier in the day and not once did he approach us during the day or while he was sober regarding our bill. We finally agreed that we would meet him at 10:00 am in the morning to discuss the bill.

Three of us girls decided to take on the task of talking to the owner the next day, as we clearly had issues that we needed assistance with like the broken toilet and shower. Or how we had piled seven girls into one villa and had wanted to cancel our reservation for the additional nights in one of the Villas. When I brought that up to the owner his first excuse was we had missed the 24hr window. When I explained per your website we had 24hrs to cancel, which means had someone been around for us to talk to we could have canceled and only owed for the first night. He immediately became aggressive and issued another excuse for why we weren't getting a refund, which was that it is mandatory 2 per villa. No where on the website does it say you can only have 2 people to a villa, but then again the website also said they all had AC. In addition, one of the Villas has three beds in it. If it was a 2 per villa limit why would one have three beds. It was clear no matter what we said the owner wasn't going to do anything to address or problems or all the broken items in the house. As soon as we paid him he drove off on his scooter with our money and was never to been seen again. We ended up leaving that day and finding another place to stay. Even though we had paid him for additional nights.

I have never been treated so poorly in my life. We were a group of girls and the owner felt fit to barge into our room without being let in at night. This place is a total dump, terrible service, and with the most unprofessional owner. Do not waste your time or money staying at this place. It's not even worth the one star I am forced to give it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Anmckenz

Same people as two reviews before.... This group of so called "professional well-traveled" women were the rudest, most self-important group of Americans to ever stay at Mango House. It is explained very clearly when the booking is made that final payment is due when the guests check in. They basically ignored my request for payment or several days until I was fed up and demanded payment. Also it was clearly stated in the booking details that each unit has a maximum occupancy of 3 people per unit... they however moved beds and furniture around from unit to unit damaging it and the walls in several units so they could all cram into the aircon unit. Yes please don't come back!