“The hippest place to chill in Thailand”

Mango Guesthouse + Villas
Ranked #116 of 151 Ko Lanta B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 May 2010

I had the pleasure of stubling across the Island of Lanta, or Koh Lanta, on a trip to Thailand. I thought I was in Paradise! The islanders were the most hopsitable you will find. While wandering the Island I came across Old Lanta, a quaint seaside town, and asked another traveller where to stay. She recommended Mango House. What a nice surprise. I was greeted with a warm smile and later had the chance to meet Duane, the owner. He was a fountain of information on where to go and what to see.

My room was built over the water on a pole house type building. The breeze off the water and the water lapping under my room was awesome. This place is a MUST stop. Forget tourist towns like Koh Samui or Phuket, if you want to get away and still have great service, hit Mango House!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 30 March 2010

We chose to stay at Mango House based on other Trip Advisor reviews and we were not disappointed, I don't think I can add anything regarding the accommodation. It was great to be away from the tourist areas of Lanta and enjoy the relaxing pace of the town. Duane really looked after us during our stay and we met and enjoyed the company of some very interesting people. You do however need to get out and see the island we hired a scooter and found it easy to get to the beaches and enjoy the other side of Lanta.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2010

Mango House has the potential to be a great place to stay ... if the owner wanted it to be.

We had originally booked the room marketed as having aircon. That was done for a number of specific, health related reasons. When we arrived, we could not find any way to turn the aircon on. I talked to the owner and he said that he had the aircon removed months before. I asked why it was still advertised as air conditioned on the main website that books Mango House. He said he had no control over how the website advertised his property. I should note that as of now, 4 months later, the room is still advertised as having aircon. (kolanta.net) While we liked the facilities generally and the location, we decided to cancel our reservation and ended up at a wonderful resort (Baan Laanta Resort http://www.baanlaanta.com/) on the other side of the island that went out of its way to find room for us. I would highly recommend them.

As noted in a prior review, getting a refund for the cancelled reservation was a chore. Duane was less than helpful and I also ended up having to resolve the matter through my credit card company.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank genericnic
Reviewed 28 February 2010

I'd heard about the Mango House through traveller friends who'd stumbled upon their amazing classic breakfast, and had peeked into Suite One (where I stayed for the second week of my stay, Suite Three the first). Going just on their word I booked two weeks splurging a bit on my own budget but in the end felt it was whole heartedly worth it. Mango House is located in Old Town, which is about a 40min bike/car ride south of the main "city" Saladan, where my friends were staying. Mango House was a perfect place for me to get away from the touristy nature of the beaches there, and with an amazing view and balcony, an inspiring place to write, relax, read, etc. I highly recommend it for those who really want to "get away". The nights are completely peaceful, from 10pm onwards, Old Town shuts down and you're left in peace (or with good company) to a few beers and the sound of the tide crashing underneath your balcony. Heaven. Then a good night's rest and everyone's fairly early up for that delicious choice of breakfasts, or burgers. The ladies at Mango House have given me the best service of anyone in my current third month of traveling now, they made us feel at home and took tremendous care of us, with great advice on anything and everything. It's not the cheapest place to stay/eat on Koh Lanta, but by European standards it definitely exceeds the value for money.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2010

But truly, if you are looking for a calm, peaceful, beautiful setting to just chill out in, there is no better place.
Mango House itself is 4 individual gorgeous old teak houses built out over the water on stilts. Each has a great little private deck with a hammock and a view. Old Town and Ko Lanta might not be the white sand beach paradise most people picture when they think of Thailand but it is all the relaxation and 'you' time you need if you are looking to get away and a photographers delight!
Duane and his staff (thank you Malinie) treat you like old friends and make you feel like a guest that is comfortably at home but taken care of.
They are great resources for more energising island adventures as well. My partner completed his padi course while there; we did a day of diving; enjoyed a Thai Massage on our deck; had a private thai cooking lesson; went out for drinks and a boogie one night - really whatever you want at your own pace.
If you enjoy the kind of holiday where you are treated like a local but still made to feel very welcome as a guest, this is the place... my only concern would be us wanting to go back and no rooms being available!
Thanks - A & A

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travel1Girl
Reviewed 20 December 2009

Only the highest of praise for Duane and Yu at Mango House, they were friendly and helpful in every respect! We have spent the last two Christmas seasons at Mango House and enjoyed the tranquil, warm and inviting atmosphere of Lanta Old Town . This year we will have Christmas at home in Melbourne but will be back this year during the low season.
I travelled with my 22 year old daughter who was equally captured by the breathtaking sea view from our large personal deck A hearty hot breakfast was served to our room each morning, delicious bacon and eggs and mango pancakes cooked up by Yu's mum. As we sat on the deck and planned our day we observed the visual acuity of the sea hawks hunting for their breakfast and discussed the rhythms of the tides and changing positions of the colourful fisherman's boats moored nearby. In front of us is a vast expanse of calm blue water and neighbouring islands in the distance. Our sea villa was very spacious, clean and elegantly restored.
I appreciated the good hot shower. We did not give up any comforts from home, everything we needed was provided.. Extra treats were brewed coffee at hand and being able to select DVD's from Duane's vast collection when we wanted a night in. Internet access was available in the front bar and dining area along with some good company from the local residents , daily tourists and other guests.
Yu organised a rental Jeep at a reasonable price so we were able to explore the Island, we went to Klong Nin for a swim and Kan tiang Bay and admired the views. Even though it was High Season the roads were quiet and we felt comfortable driving around. Instead of looking out for traffic we watched out for chickens, goats and elephants by the road side. It was approximately a 20 minutes drive to Saladan where we managed a little shopping at the local market..Yu organised a day at sea, a visit to the Emerald Caves and nearby islands, it was great to go out with an expert local fisherman. We enjoyed Mango House as It has its own unique charm,and because it is away from the main tourist areas. It provides an ambience that is relaxing,peaceful and friendly even the bird at the store next to the jetty that likes to say hello or greet you wolf whistle. There are some lovely Thai restaurants within walking distance, you get a good feel for the local way of life. We stayed for 5 nights on our last trip and hope to stay longer on our next visit so we can relax to the sounds and motions of rolling waves beneath us once again!
Judi and Meg

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank aussiejAustralia
Reviewed 3 November 2009

I love this place, it gave me back the old memory when my parents lived here 40+yrs ago. The house is on the water and we were really enjoy the gathering at the deck. The best was to sleep on the deck and listening to the sound of the tide. We enjoyed walking in the old town and eating out with the local.
I have only one big disappointed that room number 2 did not have the aircon as advertising on the web.
Siri.