“a bit of paradise”

Mango Guesthouse + Villas
Ranked #115 of 148 Ko Lanta B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 May 2010

It's simply everyone's idea of paradise in the quiet town on Lanta Island. Mango House is built out onto the surrounding sea. The sounds of the water lapping beneath put you to sleep. The interiors are natural and reminiscent of upscale boutique resorts. Regardless of age, this is the type of getaway that is simple and elegant and comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Mango Guesthouse + Villas

Reviewed 24 May 2010

Koh Lanta is an amazing island in southern Thailand. The old town, in the south of the island is a gem of an old fishing village, with few travellers - it was great to get away from the tourists! Mango Guesthouse, in the old town, provided us with an opportunity to experience a romantic, relaxing few days from our hectic travel through Thailand. Our villa was on the water with an amazing view of the outer islands. The food was good, the beer was cold and the staff is great. I highly recommend spending a few days at Mango to relax and unwind. The area is really good for hiking, biking, and the amazing beaches of Koh Lanta are close by. And, best of all, it is so easy to get a local to take you on their longtail boat to the surrounding islands - a beyond special experience!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2010

I stayed at Mango House in March 2010 and was delighted with the waterfront suite I stayed in. So much so that I booked an extra 3 nights on top of my original stay.
The suite was stylishly furnished with and had great view of the eastern islands from the seafront terrace. The service was helpful and friendly and the quiet and peaceful setting helped me to do exactly what I went for - relax!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 May 2010

I stumbled quite accidentally on Mango House, located in Old Town, on the tip of Ko Lanta. I was looking for a place away from the usual tourist scene but with enough amenities to be comfortable. Mango House is a gem...from the initial friendly greeting, to the delicious food in the restaurant to the comfortable room, I ws more than happy. Chill vibe, lots of books to browse, friendly locals. I'll be back.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 May 2010

I had the pleasure of stubling across the Island of Lanta, or Koh Lanta, on a trip to Thailand. I thought I was in Paradise! The islanders were the most hopsitable you will find. While wandering the Island I came across Old Lanta, a quaint seaside town, and asked another traveller where to stay. She recommended Mango House. What a nice surprise. I was greeted with a warm smile and later had the chance to meet Duane, the owner. He was a fountain of information on where to go and what to see.

My room was built over the water on a pole house type building. The breeze off the water and the water lapping under my room was awesome. This place is a MUST stop. Forget tourist towns like Koh Samui or Phuket, if you want to get away and still have great service, hit Mango House!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 March 2010

We chose to stay at Mango House based on other Trip Advisor reviews and we were not disappointed, I don't think I can add anything regarding the accommodation. It was great to be away from the tourist areas of Lanta and enjoy the relaxing pace of the town. Duane really looked after us during our stay and we met and enjoyed the company of some very interesting people. You do however need to get out and see the island we hired a scooter and found it easy to get to the beaches and enjoy the other side of Lanta.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2010

Mango House has the potential to be a great place to stay ... if the owner wanted it to be.

We had originally booked the room marketed as having aircon. That was done for a number of specific, health related reasons. When we arrived, we could not find any way to turn the aircon on. I talked to the owner and he said that he had the aircon removed months before. I asked why it was still advertised as air conditioned on the main website that books Mango House. He said he had no control over how the website advertised his property. I should note that as of now, 4 months later, the room is still advertised as having aircon. (kolanta.net) While we liked the facilities generally and the location, we decided to cancel our reservation and ended up at a wonderful resort (Baan Laanta Resort http://www.baanlaanta.com/) on the other side of the island that went out of its way to find room for us. I would highly recommend them.

As noted in a prior review, getting a refund for the cancelled reservation was a chore. Duane was less than helpful and I also ended up having to resolve the matter through my credit card company.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends