“Weddingtrip”

Kantiang Oasis Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Reviewed 30 July 2010

One of the best places in the whole area. Superb personal, and a lovely nice staf. Simple but wey comfortable. Very central, and in the same time quiet and calm. Value on top ranking. Location 200 m to middle of the beach, Very clen and soft sand.
See u soon.
C-G with family

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank CGALM
There are newer reviews for Kantiang Oasis Resort & Spa

Reviewed 29 July 2010

We were not impressed by the Ancient Realm.
1. Very poor service especially at the restaurant. One of the guys is good but everyone else was appalling. When you ask them for something they make you feel like you are asking them to go to the moon and back. I don' t think the restaurant floor/deck was even swept the whole time we were there.
2. Very average restaurant. Lots of the things on the menu were unavailable even the cornflakes for the 'set breakfast' that comes with the room.
3. Rats in the roof of our hut (no sleep one night because of it!)
4. Lazy staff who like to sit around in the hammocks. Our 'private garden' didn't look like it had been touched in months. Not even nice enough to sit out there. A LOT of rubbish on the beach that could easily be picked up.
5. No highchairs which makes life so much more difficult if you have little ones. This is the first place in Thailand were we have stayed where there hasn't been a highchair.
6. Very average gardens and atmosphere.
Over all very disappointing especially as many of the reviews are good. Maybe just a bad place to stay in the off season. Perhaps it is better in high season????

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank DohaTravellingCircus
AncientRealm, Owner at Kantiang Oasis Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2010

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review of our resort. I actually had a feeling that this review would be coming, as some “red flags” were raised during your group’s stay with us.

Number one being that upon arrival, you immediately downgraded your friends from one of our higher priced rooms, to a lower priced room, without even seeing the room, and demanded the difference be returned, with no adherence to our cancellation policy. After talks with my staff, we did end up giving in, and returning the difference by credit so you could be more comfortable with your decision. This was a little concerning to us, as most people “upgrade”. You had just checked in, and we felt we wanted to do our best for you, no matter what.

Number two. After we had returned the difference of the room prices, I was notified that the compulsory breakfast charge for a child staying in the room (no need to pay for extra occupancy for your child, only for breakfast provided) also did not want to be paid, and asked to be returned in credit.

Number three. After you had discovered of a small “pest” in the upper part of the ceiling, you immediately demanded your night for free, which was given. Please do also note that the breakfasts, bottled water and internet was also provided for, free of charge.

I would also like to note some things that you “forgot” to mention. All of your emails sent before staying were addressed and answered in a very quick and informative manner. When you personally asked me for my help for our forwarding address because your child’s teddy bear was forgotten behind in another resort, I replied speedily direct from my mobile phone. When asking about visa runs, the response was also prompt with information. Also, you have left out the point that the room rate for the night of “no sleep” was returned to you, no questions asked, even before thorough investigation by our staff. We simply took your word for it, and promptly returned your nightly charge (again in credit). We also moved you into another vacant room (the room that your friends had actually originally requested) and also returned the difference in room price, once again.

I would like to clarify our position (as what management responses are for on this site) on your key points:

1. Our service in our resort area is normally very good, as can be read from our previous reviews. All of our staff are working just as hard, and for less salary in the Green Season. Even in seeing this review, I still think they deserve a raise, and I will be doing so in two days (1st August). However, this is currently a point of concern to me also (with our service), as we just lost our F&B Supervisor on July 16th, 2010. We have had to quickly search for a replacement, and we will be actually hiring two more employees in replacement now, starting in August. Our restaurant was getting better and better, with the new Italian food menu (which will be expanded even further soon), new set dinners, new western food, new drinks and cocktails, and the overhauled overall look of the menus. After the supervisor left, the staff may have felt a bit lost, but this can be rectified swiftly with new staff. I will personally oversee the new structure of staff in F&B. It was a bit of a “dip”, but personally, I think the main “vibe” of Koh Lanta is very laid back also ;-)

2. If some things are unavailable on our menu (such as fresh seafood), due to Green Season and lower occupancy, simply request them for the next meal, and we will do our very best to arrange it for you, 100%. In addition to cornflakes, you have the choice of fresh fruit, fruit juice, milk, bacon, ham, sausages, eggs, bread, toast, jams, yoghurt etc etc. You can choose as many as you want off our breakfast coupon menu. Cornflakes are ordered in bulk from Phuket in very large containers, and there may have been a delay this week, partly due to the fact that our F&B Supervisor, who looked after ordering, had resigned to move back to Bangkok, as previously mentioned.

3. It has still not been confirmed what type of small animal it was. If it is a mouse, then it will be dealt with swiftly. I have had them in my house in Thailand, and are easy to take care of. Normally we do not have a problem like this in my resort, however, because of the daily use of cleaning products, daily housekeeping and regular pest control. The guest just before you in the same room, a lady from Sweden, thoroughly enjoyed her stay, and actually extended her nights in our resort (!)…as most people are doing now in the Green Season, weather permitting. I have known before that we have had a few lizards running around, which I have seen also, and tried to catch them with some previous guests before! Quite a fun time actually …fast little guys (this is a shout out to Vesa and Henna from Finland - see you again at Christmas!). Anyway, the cause of the problem would have to be because the weather has not been great this last week or so. Intermittent rain brings the creatures closer, but mostly the strong wind we have been having has been moving the natural thatched roofs around a lot. Needless to say, our housekeeping, maintenance team and management are on top of this, as I type. We have already checked all other rooms for pests of ANY kind, and the problem is NOT widespread. I repeat, all rooms are clean and clear, and are awaiting our pre-booked guests. We can 100% confirm and assure our future guests of this. We will see if the electronic pest control device (we have one installed in each room) is working properly, as they normally take care of everything, including even mosquitoes. If it has malfunctioned, it will be replaced. Your room rate was returned to you for this night. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

4. The staff will be talked to, and it will be requested for them to keep to the allocated staff areas at time of rest and when on breaks at most times. Please note that our staff have their lunch breaks at different intervals, so you may actually be seeing a staff member enjoying the view on a break. Normally, we allow our staff to standby in and around our facilities, as it creates a warmer atmosphere, and they can easily interact with our guests also, on or off the clock. We promote a relaxed atmosphere in Ancient Realm, as many places do on the island, and do not have all persons standing at attention (like soldiers) at all times like in a five star hotel. Needless to say, the “Ancient Realm” work ethic will be reinforced when our new F&B staff arrives in a few days. While we do promote a relaxed atmosphere, we are also all for 100% customer service attitude also. Please remember that the beach is cleaned DAILY. I have done it myself also. Nightly storms over the past week however, bring fresh debris daily. This weather pattern is out of our control, the government won’t do anything, and we are trying our best. When the weather clears up, (is starting to go back to normal again now), the beach will be fresh again. I will post some photos taken July 8th, 2010, onto our FaceBook page which show how clean the beach was recently. Future guests; don’t worry, debris only lasts a few days, and is taken care of.

5. Highchairs. I take full responsibility for this. I don’t have children, so I may have overlooked this necessity when buying the resort equipment. Sorry for any inconvenience caused. I normally buy new bar and restaurant equipment every four to six months, such as chairs, tables, gazebos, salas, bridges, sofas, stools, freezers, signs sun loungers, umbrellas, pool table equipment etc etc. It is costly, but is necessary, as the salt air destroys EVERYTHING! The next purchase time will be at the start of September, but we will order high chairs for infants as soon as possible, for our upcoming guests with families. We did have a few in the resort, but it has now been reported that they are broken beyond repair, as sometimes they are exposed to the elements also, when they end up in the outside areas of the guests rooms, when guests need to use them in their private gardens. We are on top of this.

6. The gardens and atmosphere is always a little different whenever it is raining. The bungalow roofs also lack their nice golden shine when it is overcast. Sorry that your stay had to coincide with the most rain we have had all year. It actually looks like it is now clearing up… This actually reminds me of a review from the same time last year, which required a response.

Any finally, I don’t think Ancient Realm, or Koh Lanta for that matter, is a bad place to stay in off season, as you mentioned. It may be not so nice when the weather is bad, but it is not so bad all of the time. As our other reviewers can attest, there is plenty of fun to be had in the Green Season, you just have to look at the bright side. The island can be explored, and at great discount rates. Koh Lanta actually has less median rainfall than Phuket and Krabi, and is great all year round.

We will do our utmost to ensure that our Food and Beverage department gains momentum again, after the slight hiccup at the end of July.

I can see that you have been a member since way back in November 2008, and this is actually your first review. Please in future reviews, try to point out the good things that you definitely enjoyed and received, also mention that you were instantly compensated and refunded for things mentioned, and if the resort DID bend the rules for you, since day one.

All the best on your future travels,

Best Regards,

Clinton Zangari
Owner / Managing Director
Ancient Realm Resort & Spa

Reviewed 24 July 2010

A nice little beach resort situated on a great stretch of beach. The restaraunt has a nice variety of very good cheap food. The staff are outgoing and helpful, and the there are well serviced bungalows with all the mod cons. Environmentally friendly attitude and good prices seals the deal.

Reviewed 23 July 2010

Great place that got even better this year, stayed with family and friends family the manager and his staff made everything smooth and relaxing. Even when our kids had a motorbike accident we got a lot of help and they really cared ! Low season price 690 B for a cottage incl breakfast : ) I would definately come back if I go back to Thailand and I hope this resort stays like this for ever . Thanks Aran for all help with wounds and hotel booking!

Also I give extra plus for the environmental way of thinking at this resort.

Food in restaurant yummy and not expensive.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family

Hello!

Thank you for staying again at our resort for the second time, and thank you for being our 100th reviewer on Tripadvisor!!

I hope our resort can stay like this forever also.....actually, I hope it can get better and better every year ;-)

I have passed this on to Aran already, and he is very happy to see your review, and hopes to see you again soon... It would be great to see your children get back up onto a motorbike again, and cruise the island!

Very pleased you enjoyed our food, restaurant and prices. Our chef (Jame) is actually now sick in hospital at the moment, and his girlfriend (Toom in the bar) is having to take care of him and her job, so they will be pleased when they read your review...everyone likes to feel appreciated!

Take care and hopefully see you next year!

Best Regards,

Clinton Zangari
Owner / Managing Director
Ancient Realm Resort & Spa

Reviewed 19 July 2010

We stayed here for two nights and it was really nice. In low season you pay for a cottage, 2nd row 790 bath incl. breakfast. The cottages are really nice, there is a openair bathroom and shower, which are really clean. In the cottage is a TV, DVD - player, watercooker, free coffe and tea and a fridge with minibar. At the reception are probably 100 different DVD's which you can rent for free. The breakfast as mentioned before is in the price included, you can choose from a little menu, what you like to eat, there is egg, toast, cornflakes, coffee, yoghurt etc. lost of diversity. The stuff is really friendly and they clean the room everyday. There is free Wifi als well.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2010

We absolutely loved the place - the staff here are so friendly and caring, and so are the people who come here to stay! You really feel well looked after, and Koh Lanta is a fantastic place to visit and excellent value!!!!

The bungalows are traditional with all the mod cons (like air con and wifi!), prices at the beachside restaurant and bar are great, it's close to Saladan and has a wonderful spa. We both had massages and traditional indian ear candling which was fantastic. I had no problem with the outdoor bathrooms which were really sweet and smelled less than all the other bathrooms I've visited in Thailand - I actually enjoyed this outdoor style the best. There are a lot of personal touches to the decor - the beach here is probably the best in koh lanta - we were here in 'green season' so a lot of places weren't open, this was definitely the busiest place around. I did wish a few of the yoga studios on the beach were operating, I will have to come back...

The owner even organised a ferry for a group of us to do a special "four islands tour" which was the best day we had -, and both the owner and manager even joined us for the trip which I have to say was the highlight of my stay in Thailand.

The pool is small, comes in handy for cooling off when it's low tide but don;t expect to do laps in it- the food is good, and I also recommend visiting the cooking school Time For Lime (next door practically) for one of their tasting menu dinners - absolutely delicious.

Also hire a scooter and make sure you head to Lanta old town for lunch over the mangroves!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mucuslucas
Reviewed 27 May 2010

This place is gorgeous the villas are huge and it's like your own little paradise. The location is kind of random there is really no place good to go around but you don't need too. The restaurant is cheap and they have great priced drinks and you eat right on the beach. The rooms have fridges and tv with free DVD rentals and wifi and a huge king size bed. Bathrooms will shock you you have to walk down some stairs and it's literally outside. We had no bugs though so it was great. The staff is very friendly. We would highly recomend this place. You may see the occasional gecko or two running around your walls but it was fine we had zero problems with bugs or anything. Great for couples!!

1  Thank Ashleiggh