“Great diving operation”
Review of Scubafish

Scubafish
Ranked #6 of 37 Tours in Ko Lanta
More attraction details
Owner description: Scubafish offers small groups, an unrivalled reputation for high quality, personal service, a PADI 5 Star Training Centre, Underwater Digital Imaging Academy and Marine Education Centre. Based in the South of Ko Lanta, our 2 luxury dive boats offer shorter journey times to some of Thailand's top dive sites. We know your holiday time is precious and we want to make sure you get the most out of it!
Cascais, Portugal
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great diving operation”
Reviewed 3 February 2012

My husband and I chose Ko Lanta because it seemed to be the closest to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang. Things did not turn out so well because, due to the wind the only shot we had of getting there as per diving operation vs. trip schedule was Feb 1st, so unfortunately we did not get to visit the spots we had planned to.

We ended up diving in Ko Haa on two different days and it is well worth the trip: much closer to Ko Lanta but no big fish. We saw 4 different spots and they were all quite good. Visibility was above 20m on both days, despite the wind. On the second day we had a snorkeler with us and the spot couldn't have been more appropriate for a mixed group (thanks Kim, for the advice!)

Regarding the dive center itself it was very good: no time to respond to the query I sent via the Pimalay hotel and to send us comprehensive info on the dive spots.
Good organizational skills even when faced with a canceled trip due to the wind and merging two boat crews and divers groups into one boat to Ko Haa.

Tip: if you really want to go to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang, and if your trip dates are flexible, make sure you have more than one chance to go during your stay in Ko Lanta. Ask the center for their schedule!

Very nice divemaster who happened to be Portuguese (and they took that into consideration when organizing the groups thus ensuring communication was great). Susana and Ed, thank you for showing all those interesting things!

Very small diver to divemaster ratio (first day it was 3 to 2 and second day it was 3 to 1) and for the snorkeling it was 2 snorkelers to 1 divemaster. Comprehensive briefings covering all practical and safety information and making sure before jumping in buddy checks were performed: my husband and I are divemasters but even so I think it is very important and even more so for groups with less experienced divers.
Helpful Thai crew to assist with gearing up and coming back to the boat.

Breakfast was served on board upon arrival to the boat, on the way out to Ko Haa and then very nice genuine Thai lunch during the surface interval (with two chicken dishes, one non-spicy, and a vegetarian dish). Unrestricted access to water, soft drinks, coffee and tea, throughout the entire trip.

We used our own equipment but everything we saw looked to be in very good condition. Divemasters even set up weight belts for you!
No carrying equipment to the boat or off the boat, or any of those less nice parts of diving. You're just there for the fun which is especially nice when you're a divemaster and you're on vacation :))))

Finally, it is not a cheap dive center but when it comes to diving, usually you get what you pay for, so cheap is not generally a good idea...

In short, five star diving operation with professional staff that goes the extra length to make your life easier.
(they even washed our wetsuits for us and we only picked them up at the dive center on the next day)

Don't know if this sort of service is the local standard but I am one happy customer and I will certainly go back when I return to Ko Lanta!

Visited February 2012
1 Thank susanapecorelli

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great dive company”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My friends and I did a dive trip with Scubafish in December - three of us dived and three of us snorkelled. They aren't the cheapest company I've dived with, but you definitely get what you pay for - professional and friendly staff who knew what they were doing; a good boat, great equipment and good (but busy) dive sites. If you are going to dive in this area, dive with Scubafish.

Visited December 2011
2 Thank Emma A
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Thank you, Scubafish!”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

After trying to get to Hin Daeng and Hin Muang for a week while staying in Koh Phi Phi, I finally found Scubafish in lovely Ko Lanta. It was a long journey to the dive site (no speedboat on the day I went), but the ride was comfortable and the boat was huge. Thank you, Sanae, for being a great divemaster! Hin Daeng and Hin Muang are amazing. No mantas or whale sharks on the day we were out there, but they're still amazing dive sites that should not be missed. I'll definitely be back for a second shot at diving with the whale sharks!

Visited December 2011
Singapore, Singapore
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“Superlative service, caring and personal”
Reviewed 25 January 2012

These guys seem to live up to their already excellent reputation. Great staff - organised, efficient and very friendly. Small groups of two or three people, each with a very attentive dive guide who came up with a suitable dive plan after discussing our needs and limitations. Our guide then sat with us and spent time showing us maps, pictures of aquatic wildlife and generally briefing us extensively on our dives. He responded in a calm, caring and efficient way when our son needed to abort the second dive due to ear pain. the boat was summoned and our son safely on board very quickly, allowing us to continue with our dive.

Equipment was quite new and very comfortable. Staff set everything up for you and assist you on and off the boat. Comfortable boat with plenty of shade. Seating is on the roof, under a canopy (on the "Mosquito" boat), and is on the floor on cushions.Quite a few of us were able to lie down for a snooze! Facilities at the Dive shop were great - drinks and fruit awaited us at the end of the day, and we relaxed in the lounge to watch the film made of our trip by the guy from Liquid Lense. (Check out their website to get an idea of the type of film they make: http://www.youtube.com/user/LiquidLense)

All round great experience - thoroughly recommended for those who appreciate excellent attention to detail and personalised service

Visited January 2012
Singapore River, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Terrible staff who thought customers are just here to tag along for extra income”
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I went down with a friend to Koh Lanta in Sep 11, and I am appalled by treatment I received for a 4,000 THB one daily fun dive (total of 2 dives).

To be fair, there were positives from the experience.
- The boat is clean, spacious, and we resided on the upper deck with croissants provided for our breakfast.
- Food was ample.
- All staff were smiley and friendly (except for one), which brings me to my point next:

Appalling staff (Jon Morton).
I did not want to write this, but I feel a duty to serve notice to others so they will not feel the way I do - to feel ripped off after the time taken to travel (both air, land commute, and boat commute), only to have a diving experience ruined by a dive guide who is not at all customer service oriented.

In my dive with a male friend (who like me is open water certified), our supposed scuba guide (Jon [--]), whom we paid to guide us along to see the ocean's scenic corals and wildlife, was outrageously conducting a dive master test for his fellow colleague. With his right hand holding a marker, his left hand holding a writing board, and his eyes fully fixated on the dive master trainee, moving at a snail's pace in water, oblivion to the purpose of my friend and I.

So its fine, we thought as we decided not to waste the trip and swam faster to catch up with others in our group who were way ahead of Jon. To my utter horror, I received several nasty rude jerking pulls on my fins, as Jon apparently thinks we are risking our lives not swimming behind him at a snail's pace looking at his pathetic butt, and wasting our time and money.

After the first dive, Jon tried to act on his authority and gave us a lecturing for not following behind him. It was then that I told him off that there was no pleasure in a fun dive not meant to see anything but him conducting his test for his trainee. For goodness' sake, seriously cannot believe his lack of ability to reason, given he is not working on the first day as a scuba guide.

For the second dive, it was a total screw up, as Jon who was apparentl the most senior in the dive group, led the group to swim against an extremely strong underwater current. During which, the whole group of divers basically waste one full tank of oxygen in 15 minutes swimming like crazy but travelled at 1mm per second, witnessing nothing.

Please be warned about Jon [--]...

Visited September 2011