“Lovely loft on the beach”
Review of Awe Resort

Awe Resort
Cambridge, Canada
“Lovely loft on the beach”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

This was a great spot to spend our time in Koh Phangan. There's a nice little kitchen on the main floor but we rarely used it outside of making coffee and keeping snacks and something to drink cold. There are nice restaurants within walking distance (I highly recommend Milky Bay for breakfast, lunch or dinner and Hard Rock Bar...just down the beach for drinks while watching the sunset). The beach in front of Awe Villas is one of the best spots to tan and swim or walk out on this side of the island. The wiFi is amazing...fast and hardly drops. The upstairs is comfortable with fans and/or air con and TV with many english stations if that's important to you.
The only thing missing was a few deck chairs you can tan on, on the beach (there are permanently fixed ones by the pool...which is a beautiful little pool, overlooking the ocean).
All in all, my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Awe.

Room Tip: They are all great villas!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Zama, Japan
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We spent part of our winter holiday in Koh Phangan, and our stay at Awe was by far the highlight of the trip. It was perfect for our little family of three, we were comfortable and loved the kitchen and outdoor dining area. It was great to make coffee and breakfast each morning, and dinner a few nights. The pool area is lovely, and I can't say enough about how perfect the beach is for swimming and sunning. I spent days sauntering between the beach and the poolside lounge chairs.

There are only four villas, so Awe offers a more intimate feeling then other resorts (especially in this price range), and Wan and the other staff were SO helpful and friendly. They made everything really easy, helped arrange things and made suggestions for things to do or see. Side story: Wan even jumped on her motor bike and tracked me down at the pier on discovering I had left my wallet behind when we departed. I was about to jump in a taxi and head back, so I was relieved to see her. This illustrates how much she payed attention to the details, and went beyond expectations. Our neighbors were also lovely, and we spent some fun evenings together barbecuing, or days chatting by the pool. We felt sad to say goodbye to everyone at Awe, and we will certainly go back.

Other highlights: easy to get around on foot, taxi, by car or bike rental. Koh Phagnan has a nice, easy feel. We did not go to the full moon parties, but there is so much more to do (or not do) on the island. I recommend the night market in Tongsala, really good eats! There is also good food in walking distance of Awe (on the beach or street), and fun bars.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
San Diego
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I spent a month in Koh Samui and had the opportunity to go to Koh Phangan and stay at Awe Resort. This place is very well hidden from any main roads and you are literally staying out at the ocean from any of the four? villas there are. Although very small, this is just how i like it. Quiet, easy, modern villas that are clean cut and easy to live in. There is a small pool and pool side chairs and tables that is beautiful but you're only feet away from the ocean so you can take a dip in there too. The owner, Peter, is so hospitable and was very welcoming when we met. He wants to take care of everybody and does so. So thankful to have spent some time at this beautiful hidden delight! This will definitely be by place of residency if and when i visit koh phangan again! :)

Room Tip: there is not one bad villa, they all have ocean view :)
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Grenoble
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The place is reall beautiful, with a pool on the beach; The bungalows are very confortable, with a view on the sea. There are some bars and restaurant just next door, so you have a quiet place with some possibility to meet people around; the owner is really sweet, but not often there. The yoga class was amazing. Thanks !

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JulieOnft
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at Awe Resort for a few days leading up to the full moon. I was nervous that, because Koh Phangan is infamous for it's Full Moon Party, that I was going to be among loud and crazy partiers. I was pleasantly surprised that Awe Resort allowed for quite the opposite: a tranquil space, with only 4 villas, making it very private or exclusive. The resort itself is right on the beach. If you stay in Villa 1, you are literally 8 to 10 steps from the beach looking towards Koh Samui. The staff here are friendly and attentive, and served us fresh papaya cut directly from the papaya tree.

I loved the two floor villa. The first floor has a kitchen, which was handy to have, and the second floor was spacious with one king size bed and one queen size bed giving my friend and I more than enough room to feel comfortable. I would definitely recommend staying at Awe Resort if you are looking for a delicious time in Koh Phangan. And if you wanted to go to the Full Moon Party, it is a hop, skip and jump away!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Seattle
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Awe Resort is beautiful resort, with a fabulous private beach and a kind and attentive staff. The villas are modern and comfortable. There are wonderful restaurants just a short walk down the beach if you want a bite out. I had the pleasure of meeting the owner of the resort while I was there, and he went out of his way to make sure that a good time was had by all. They had just finished building a gorgeous yoga studio during my visit, and my only regret is not staying long enough to take a class just a few steps away from the sandy beach. If you get a chance to go to Koh Phangon, do yourself a favor and stay at Awe Resort.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

There's so much to say about this place that's positive - with only 4 villas you could book out the whole resort with a group of friends, it's on a quiet stretch of beach, the villas themselves are bright and friendly... But these are more like holiday homes than a resort. I would have liked more staff around more often, daily room cleaning, and a bar for cocktails and snacks around the pool...

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
photikoe, Owner at Awe Resort, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Our mission is to create a private nirvana without the impersonal feeling of a large-scale hotel. With four villas and three staff members on site (one dedicated to cleaning the room everyday and can cook a private BBQ for you on the beach), we feel that most of our guests do not feel that we need 'more' staff.

To reiterate, we DO clean the villas everyday, with a full towels/linens change after 3 nights. However, we will not go into the villa without your consent or if you are sleeping. Also, most of our guests rather enjoy the 15-steps along the pristine beach path to our partner bar and restaurant, which also delivers food/drinks to our pool, but I suppose that is too much effort for some, and that is why each villa comes with a fully equipped kitchen and large fridge where our staff can stock drinks and food for you (brought from the local grocery store so you do not have to pay inflated restaurant prices). Each villa is no more than 10 steps away from the pool in a manicured, tropical garden, and most of our guests prefer to take their drinks and snacks in this environment rather than at a bar.

You are absolutely right that each villa feels like a beautiful holiday home. I can understand your disappointment if you are expecting a massive hotel with a poolside snack bar, as our service is more individualized and subtle.